1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Did you expect otherwise?
We are not universally loved...
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@mn.mediaone.net|Joe]
New Not really ...
However Egypt receives billions of dollars in US aid and is widely thought of as a US ally.
New Maybe freedom of the press is permitted elsewhere...
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Where? in Egypt?
Unfortunately not. There is not a single Arab country with a free press. The only free press in the Middle East is the press in Israel, and the Arabic press in London.
New Re: Where? in Egypt?
> Unfortunately not. There is not a single Arab country with a free press. The only free press in the Middle East is the press in Israel, and the Arabic press in London.
>

Where did you get that? From the "free press" in the US?
New Re: Where? in Egypt?
Dipshit.

bluke lives in Israel, you moron.

Go troll someplace else. We sure as hell don't need it here right now, asshole.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New This is what the PA thinks of freedom of the press
[link|http://us.news2.yimg.com/f/42/31/7m/dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010912/us/attacks_ap_protest_1.html|http://us.news2.yim...otest_1.html]

"The Associated Press on Wednesday protested to
the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) about threats against a freelance
camerman who filmed Palestinians celebrating terror attacks in the
United States.
The videographer, on assignment for Associated Press Television
News, was summoned to a Palestinian Authority security office and
told that the material must not be aired. Calls in the name of the
Tanzim militia, an armed group associated with Yasser Arafat (news - web sites)'s
Fatah (news - web sites) group, warned him he would be held responsible and made what
he interpreted as threats on his life.
Several Palestinian Authority officials spoke to AP in Jerusalem
urging that the material not be broadcast. Ahmed Abdel Rahman,
Arafat's Cabinet secretary, said the Palestinian Authority ``cannot
guarantee the life'' of the cameraman if the footage was broadcast.

New They knew damned well many Americans were sympathetic . .
. . to the Palastinian plight. That is over now. We don't give a fig what Israel does to Palastinians. We saw them dancing in the streets as thousands of innocent Americans died. Let 'em all rot in hell.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New That's unfair.
We saw the stupid ones.

The same sort of people who are in the US, talking about needing to kill all dem a-hrabs.

It was a horrible display. The PA is well and truely screwed now, their plan was to garner US sympathy, and get us to pressure Israel.

Forget it. Right now most Americans, having seen that, would be happy to donate money for flamethrowers.

Even knowing that it was the stupid kids, the idiots out there, it was a damn good thing I wasn't around with something belt-fed.

The PA had better see about an exit strategy. They ain't got their original one.

I wonder if something of this magnitude could get them to the table, to realistically talk (and ditto for the Israelis).

Addison
New Yes, it's unfair, I agree.
Unfortunately it's reality and they have to live with it. When the general population fails to control its radicals, it gets tarred with the same brush.

It will be very necessary to keep the radicals in this country under control. Killing all muslims is not the solution that'll work (I think my intern and my gardner are muslims - I do not intend to discharge them).

On the other hand, we have to make the problem serious enough that the muslims get their radicals under control. Unfortunately, that won't be easy because, officially or unofficially, violence is written into the religion to even a greater extent than with other Judaic religions (including most of Christianity).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New One can hope...
That that sort of thing MIGHT just MIGHT spur influential people - like Arafat - into pressing for a moderation, for a non-violent solution - because of the impression that things like that give.

I don't think it will.

But I can hope.

Addison
     Mideast Reactions - (bluke) - (11)
         Did you expect otherwise? - (jbrabeck) - (10)
             Not really ... - (bluke) - (9)
                 Maybe freedom of the press is permitted elsewhere... -NT - (jb4) - (8)
                     Where? in Egypt? - (bluke) - (2)
                         Re: Where? in Egypt? - (TTC) - (1)
                             Re: Where? in Egypt? - (admin)
                     This is what the PA thinks of freedom of the press - (bluke) - (4)
                         They knew damned well many Americans were sympathetic . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             That's unfair. - (addison) - (2)
                                 Yes, it's unfair, I agree. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     One can hope... - (addison)

Oh, you've got an umbrella. You've got a purse.
50 ms