IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New RIP Fred Rogers
Fred Rogers, of "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood," died of cancer this morning. That really sucks.

[link|http://my.netscape.com/corewidgets/news/story.psp?cat=51180&id=200302270703000145033|http://my.netscape.c...02270703000145033]

I always watched his show growing up, and as an adult now I'm really surprised at how sophisticated his "daily lessons" were -- even though they were about strange things as far as adults are concerned (i.e., the example in the linked article about how you don't have to be afraid of the bathtub, because you'll never go down the drain).

Anyway. That's all I have to say about that.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New RIP a good man indeed, projected calmness
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
\ufffdOmni Gaul Delenda est!\ufffd Ceasar
New He will be missed.
My fav show growing up for a bit. Liked his gentle attitude and non-condesending attitude - a rarity among adults towards children...
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
New The brief eulogy on Lehrer news (Thu) was apropos
They quoted part of his acceptance speech ~1998? of some Lifetime Achievement award... re his 5 decades in the field -

~"I've tried to make it OK for children to talk about their thoughts and their feelings, inluding on subjects which are difficult even for adults [my paraphrases here] - like divorce.. (And he relates a brief exchange with a child undergoing that). Because they Do have thoughts and feelings on these subjects and often no way to express them ... ..."

He never condescended, and he treated all children as deserving of respect -not as cute little animals-, but just as adults.. tried to show conflict resolution in his stories without violence. He seemed to me to be at times, the sole purveyor of the Virtue of gentleness and calmness, within a culture permeated by violent imagery and which spawns billionaires who sell that theme in games, publications, media. Because they can.

I'll miss his presence the most, post-Iraq - there will only be lesser people to try to explain to kids the results we will begin to experience during, after and for a long long time. A genius in his 'field'.

Ashton
New Loved the show as a kid... but...
I've fought a losing battle with an evil thought:

"Won't you be my coroner."

Sorry... :-P
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New And the obligatory
Ell Arrrr Pee Dee saith,

I see... dead people.

Bad Adminn.. Bad Me..

ALL BAD
New His show beat the pants off "Barney"
The "Barney" show is nothing more than mindless repetition of songs that are more aggravating than having icepicks shoved up your fingernails. Once your kids watch and start singing along, it's damn near impossible to get those tunes out of your head for at least a day.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL/Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New so THAT's why Barney runs around nude

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New WGBH Boston - radio talk show
...dedicated a show to him this morning.
The show pointed out just how much he spoke the language of emotions to children and filled a void for many. He taught children that its okay to love, be angry, be friends, be sad. And he managed to connect in a way that many couldn't. Sesame street was great in the areas of ABCs, counting, over under in out before and the number 12.......but they rarely connected emotionally with children.

What do you do with the mad that you feel
When you feel so mad you could bite?
When the whole wide world seems oh, so wrong...
And nothing you do seems very right?

What do you do? Do you punch a bag?
Do you pound some clay or some dough?
Do you round up friends for a game of tag?
Or see how fast you go?

It's great to be able to stop
When you've planned a thing that's wrong,
And be able to do something else instead
And think this song:

I can stop when I want to
Can stop when I wish.
I can stop, stop, stop any time.
And what a good feeling to feel like this
And know that the feeling is really mine.
Know that there's something deep inside
That helps us become what we can.
For a girl can be someday a woman
And a boy can be someday a man.

Who said his stuff was just for kids?
"My purchase of a Hummer was inspired by our 1991 Gulf War victory. After this war, I'm buying an aircraft carrier."
(The Onion)
Expand Edited by Mike Feb. 28, 2003, 01:35:55 PM EST
Expand Edited by Mike Feb. 28, 2003, 01:55:46 PM EST
New I, and my kids, will miss him very much.
And I'm certain I am merely one of millions that can say that.
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
New Know what you mean.
My daughter brought the grandkids over today and we talked about Mr. Rogers. When she was a kid, it was her favorite show. He connected with kids and grew their emotional intelligence.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New Re: I, and my kids, will miss him very much.
Mr Rogers always seemed interested in the MIND - the thing that thinks, feels, records, and intuits - unlike the the Teletubbies, who seem to be orgasmically in touch with their bloated monochrome bodies, or the Sesame Me obsession with rote repetition and bad humor - not at all instructive. Both Cap 'Roo and Mr. R had something extremely fundamental in common RE kids - the same HUMAN face, presented the same way, ALL THE TIME. Above all, kids need temporal continuity - sometimes stupidly translated as "security".
-drl
     RIP Fred Rogers - (cwbrenn) - (11)
         RIP a good man indeed, projected calmness -NT - (boxley)
         He will be missed. - (inthane-chan)
         The brief eulogy on Lehrer news (Thu) was apropos - (Ashton)
         Loved the show as a kid... but... - (admin) - (1)
             And the obligatory - (Ashton)
         His show beat the pants off "Barney" - (lincoln) - (1)
             so THAT's why Barney runs around nude -NT - (SpiceWare)
         WGBH Boston - radio talk show - (Mike)
         I, and my kids, will miss him very much. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             Know what you mean. - (a6l6e6x)
             Re: I, and my kids, will miss him very much. - (deSitter)

Live long and prosper.
109 ms