IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Damn, Ashton...
...if nothing else here has solidified my desire to make a pilgrimage to meet you at some point before I (or you) shuffle off this mortal coil, this post *alone* would make me want to meet you in person.

Of course, I could probably assign the same compliment to 70+% of your other comments as well. Truly, IMO one of the lowest of the S/N ratio here, especially impressive when you consider how many bloody POSTS you have...

As for those who claim that they can't make heads or tails out of what you write, I can honestly say that I have yet to see something you've written that didn't make sense, without the use of any mind-altering substances. I'll leave my theories as towards why they couldn't figure it out to the Flame Forum...
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
New I definately agree...
though sometimes reading his comments are something on the order of read legalese... but then again *SOMETIMES* his oratorical monologues are the kind that make you wake in the middle of the night and say:

*THAT'S WHAT HE MEANT!!!*

Sometimes, you have to fall into his frame of mind... to understand... if you can do that... He really comes into focus... but you have to wanna...

Oh, he sends great cards for thanks...
b4k4^2
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857673,00.asp|Writing on wall, Microsoft to develop apps for Linux by 2004]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New *blushiness*
{cough} Thank you; nobody who isn't constipated, a liar or both, eschews all praise - though the seeking of such would lead to the execrable {Celebrity-ugh}. I accept the two edges of the sword as inescapable in our illusionary duality n'stuff :-)

Still.. I think most folks who love the possibilities of language - wish they could write, not just admire those who can. Besides, the effort to write anything that coheres on one or more levels, is itself just another way of finding out what you Really think = no? And like most of us, I have few Original thoughts; life seems to consist in trying to concentrate the good stuff overheard -- and becoming better and better at discarding the er 'trite homilies' as fast as one is recognized. (And even these comments are a synthesis of what I've heard from good writers talking about umm writing / what it means or doesn't to each. I note that not all good writers can speak very well, let alone about their writing)

Obv too, mine is an often negative view of the milieu in which I chance to have been born. Certainly a part of that [-] is about disappointment of the sort, what we Might have become? given all the goods and land we have appropriated by stealth, crook and a large hook. Maybe our means of acquistion have permanently laced the loot with Strychnine, or maybe our myths have all-along been too tawdry and superstitious, our preoccupation too $-besotted (?)

Anyway - we blew it IMhO. Can bitching and moaning atone? correct? alter focus.. some people think so. I sometimes think so, but believe that Habit and addiction to comfort is our thrall - until some large Shock occurs to snap us out of it. {Hmmm.. maybe sooner than later}

But Hey.. abs *everyone* Needs 'an Editor': the mantra of every intelligent person I've come across. (Was [the Real] 'Marlowe' - Shakespeare's .?. unlikely to be resolved any time soon)

Should I head N-ward, will try to nick you (and Brandioch) for a taste of the local Surf n'Quaff -- and our mutual disillusionizing ;-) I think I'm getting near-itchy to try the new(er) wheels to get away from this local oasis anyway, noise-free as it is (the fight against the comfort-drug begins at Home).

Cheers,
Ashton

"Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm
for the rest of his life." -- John A. Hrastar via Rick Moen
New Yer welcome up here...
Just let me know when you be headed this way, and I'll make some arrangment of some sort or another. Hell, we could go by Microsoft and moon BG if you're up for it... ;)
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
New Hopefully the LRPD is wrong on this one:
"This is leading up to dirtsnakes, I can tell..."
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New To boldly go where no LRPD has gone before.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New "The mind boggles"
--\r\n
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]\r\n
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]\r\n
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?\r\n
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.\r\n
\r\n
   Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.\r\n[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html]\r\n
New Speaking of dirtsnakes..___[Admin?] - [Admin again?]
I fear that the small implanted tracking device (noticed the skin bump.. just after the muffled takeoff of the Black helicopter in the back field) - would trigger certain alarums - were I to come within an effective distance of Campus Ground Zero ;)

Now a bit of meteorological prep, surplus weather balloons and a large crimson banner with:

Windoze stability illustrated:

-*-

{{\\______/}}
___\\____/
____\\__/
_____\\/____
///////////

_*_ = a fly about to land

.. is something worth considering (?)

Cheers,

Ashton, ABM, LLD, LLC

Edit: Admin - it's broke!
line with a '\\' followed by a '/' uglifies as above.
Zope-a-Dope?
I Hate It when machines take the bit in their teeth und nicht Vollow Orderz:
F\ufffdhrer Befiel Wir Folgen

Edit II:
The Omnicognate Indefatiguable Scribe from Ciceronius XII is
*yawn*
once again - -

RIGHT!

Two \\s indeed make \\ (one: which you can't see right *here* because.. that's why you need TWO to see ONE - sorta like Dubya's brain?)

Except that: the above is WRONG: BOTH printed...
The phenom (on Preview anyway) maybe only works when the \\ and the / are together, like /

Yup: that's *IT* See !?

So.. what's Special about the two-paired ? hmmmm?
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 20, 2003, 05:31:58 PM EST
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 23, 2003, 04:42:26 AM EST
New Expected behavior.
\\ is the escape character; ie. if you put in \\<some html tag>, the \\ will escape the < and render it as simple text.

To insert a literal \\ in your post, use \\\\.

I should probably have a checkbox to turn that off...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Damn! bloody %^@&^@ anal-retentive Geo Booleishness
Why can't the escape character be..

[ctrl][alt][ESC] or somethin..
Great mnemonic.. is it a / or a \\ or a | or

Gonna call M$ and get this standard fixed.

I Want my WordStar back...
phblfffffffffffffffft
New nix issue, Mr Gates wouldnt know what to do with it
actually it is the representation of an ascii number(which escapes me at the moment) that indicates an escape sequence to follow.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
\ufffdOmni Gaul Delenda est!\ufffd Ceasar
New Yeah, know: but any excuse to diss Billy is a good excuse.
New I am not surprised you feel this way

Had also posted similar sentiment re Ash's perceptions in

[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=82593|http://z.iwethey.org...w?contentid=82593]

But in following the responses I was highly amused that one individual expressed his inability to grasp 'brilliance' when it is before him (states he cannot understand anything Ashton posts). This same person recently posted with a byline of 'casting pearls before swine', I asked myself if these were the words of one half of a split personality talking to the other <grin>

Cheers

Doug
New Gotta cut this out.. We Have to Watch What --
They're gonna cop to our mini Axis-of-Evull attack on the LeaderOfTheFreeWorld.. n'maybe guess the secret deBushelizer code that little guy at the keyboard keeps a tappin out..

Sshhhh You Fool. Yer supposed to *dis* this sock-puppet of the Commyunist Infidels. Remember?

Ashton

PS Ever read a WW-II story, Adressad Unbekannt / Addressee Unknown ?

Plot - guy is turned-in to the SS by a bizness [!!] competitor. Tortured, finally gets out of whatever stalag. Escapes (dunno whether Germany or the er Greater-German acquired States). Gets to US.

Begins sending friendly letters to Herr Scheissekopf (playing dumb re the rattiness done). Starts making suggestive comments ~ "The big ball will fall on the 23rd" etc. Rat-friend sends letters beseeching him to stop.

Last letter to Herr SK is returned, Addressad Unbekannt.
Sounds a bit like a Somerset Maugham story, no?
New Don't know that story but from your tiny desc

a full book has emerged in my mind - what a great plot - there used to be a US TV series akin to 'twilight zone' that would have done that line proud (hmmmm was it 'outer limits' - hmmm YES that was it !!!)

Cheers

Doug
New /me joins the Ashton fan club.
In a way, Ashton has saved me a lot of work - there are plenty of times when I've gone to reply to a post, but then thought there's nothing I can add that which he's already said.

Of course, that's handy for me. The thing that firmly ensconces him in the realm of greatness, though, is his love and patronage of the Logitech Trackman Marble - the 2nd most useful and long-lasting peripheral I've ever bought.
John. Busy lad.
New {cackle} Great Minds ^h^h Thumbs!____run in channels
New What I like most about Ashton.
And that is of all the people who post in here his style is the most like I'm the same room as him listening to him talk - and yet still readable. IME that is extremely hard to pull off.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New {Mwaaaah!} & umgawa
Gracias.

Since I was first turned loose with a $5000+ NEC 'Sellum mod' SpinWriter (for my dentist friend) on a $1800 Osborne1 system (!) with WordStar:

I always recalled the Immortal Skit done by Victor Borge, with noises to 'insert punctuation' in speech [surely a tape of that has hit Oz ?] and it's pretty obvious that the pauses meant by ,; - -- .... are as valid a part of written transcription as the characters in between.

[OK the world hasn't quite come around ... ... what do they know]

Wedon'tspeakinserialbreathlesslines.

We ^^^ transcend the orthogonal!

Ashton
who just Loves It when marlowe deems me undecipherable;
I must be getting Something right..
Gotta watch.. doesn't.. Go To Head :(
New umgawa

My recollection of this word was when the Chief of a remote tribe said to a visiting polly who had just addressed local crowd (who kept repeating 'umgawa' -- a unique local dialect word not understood by the polly), as he was about to step in a cow turd ...

Careful boss 'watch out for umgawa'

Doug
     Damn, Ashton... - (inthane-chan) - (19)
         I definately agree... - (folkert)
         *blushiness* - (Ashton) - (9)
             Yer welcome up here... - (inthane-chan) - (8)
                 Hopefully the LRPD is wrong on this one: - (admin) - (2)
                     To boldly go where no LRPD has gone before. -NT - (drewk)
                     "The mind boggles" -NT - (kmself)
                 Speaking of dirtsnakes..___[Admin?] - [Admin again?] - (Ashton) - (4)
                     Expected behavior. - (admin) - (3)
                         Damn! bloody %^@&^@ anal-retentive Geo Booleishness - (Ashton) - (2)
                             nix issue, Mr Gates wouldnt know what to do with it - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Yeah, know: but any excuse to diss Billy is a good excuse. -NT - (Ashton)
         I am not surprised you feel this way - (dmarker) - (2)
             Gotta cut this out.. We Have to Watch What -- - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Don't know that story but from your tiny desc - (dmarker)
         /me joins the Ashton fan club. - (Meerkat) - (1)
             {cackle} Great Minds ^h^h Thumbs!____run in channels -NT - (Ashton)
         What I like most about Ashton. - (static) - (2)
             {Mwaaaah!} & umgawa - (Ashton) - (1)
                 umgawa - (dmarker)

We're not going to play any mature games, are we?
91 ms