IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes
It's not under the GPL itself, but the Gnu project explicity lets you use parts of their license, as long as you call it something else.

The only part they reserve is the preabmle text, which you must get approval to use. That is the part that talks about the why of the liscense, and they don't want that part on licenses they don't consider free.

[link|http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL|GNU FAQ]

I believe that liscenses and legal contracts in general are copyrighted material, you can't just take and copy somebody elses and the names changed. From what I have heard and seen though, that is actually a fairly common practice. Apparently so much is standard boilerplate that is cut and pasted that proving a specific contract is an outright copy is hard.

Jay
New thank you!
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
\ufffdOmni Gaul Delenda est!\ufffd Ceasar
New Hey, good summation
Apparently so much is standard boilerplate that is cut and pasted that proving a specific contract is an outright copy is hard.
That's actually a good way of putting the point I was getting at WRT code. Anyone who's been doing this for any length of time has seen a half-dozen sort implementations. When writing a program that includes a sort, how can you properly attribute the originality of the idea? This was why I suggested that the whole issue brings up the larger question of whether copyright can even properly be applied to software.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
     very nice discussion of the GPL going on the mailing list - (boxley) - (3)
         Yes - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             thank you! -NT - (boxley)
             Hey, good summation - (drewk)

4 out of 5 of you would be spending most of your time in night court.
72 ms