I usually create a Prototype folder when I put in half-working code or someone else's code that has not yet been finished before I start to work on it, just in case I mess something up I can pull the code out and return to the last version. I usually do this in a shop without CVS or Visual Source Safe, and usually on my own workstation or laptop hard drive.

I also have a copy of the code on my hard drive, before copying it up to the server for the changes I made. That way I don't have Beta Code or code still in development on the server and then when someone uses it or copies it, I cannot be blamed.

But some things are hard to do when there is a lack of communication between coworkers. One coworker started running my stored procedures five minutes after I wrote them, before I was done testing them to see if they pulled the correct data. She expected me to do each stored procedure in less than five minutes will a fully correct recordset. Which most of them may have been that way, but the ones with five joins or more need more attention to look into.

One thing we both agreed on was installing Visual Source Safe on the server. But they didn't want to do that just yet.

I feel for you, I hope you can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Good luck!