IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I work solo on most projects...
...but i still use VC on any and all software I write, since I tend to generate a large and diverse volume of code. Great for refreshing my memory when I need to debug any particular piece of code - it really helps to know what changed and when.

Even if no one else uses version control, I'd still recommend setting up system that you at least use privately.
New I think that's an underlying issue here
Most of the crew have only ever worked solo or nearly so before coming here. What I keep hearing is that they don't need to do foo because they're able to keep track of things without it.

I realized last night I'm the only one here who regularly works on other people's code. The other guys (who all started here before me) have written completely new stuff which I then come behind and modify. (I also do new stuff.) Except for the things I'm extending, if there is an issue with an existing application for the most part we go to the guy who wrote it to work on it. IOW no one (but me) has to deal with maintaining someone else's code. It's impossible, becuase of the lack of any formal procedures, to pick something up and work on it without consulting with the guy who wrote it to find out what's actually in production.

That's still my biggest gripe, that we literaly can not tell without some deep inspection what code is actually live. And when I raised this in the meeting the only direct reponse I got was that their motto is to never delete anything. This was a not-too-subtle jab at the fact that I broke it by deleting something that I didn't know was live. Until you work on someone else's code, you don't learn that keeping everything doesn't help if you can't find anything.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Dead code removal is a vital function.
You have to do it to keep maintenance sane.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Agreed
But if you're not using a VCS safety it can be a dangerous thing.

Nothing pisses me off more than to get someone's code that has functions (comments) and files with dead wood - except maybe when I get 10 copies of the same file, each different, scattered throughout directories and subdirectories where you have to dig to find out which one is "current".

Ok, I take that back. Even worse is when someone goes in the database and creates tables or procs that were meant to be temporary and doesn't remove them. Only thing worse than dead code is dead junk in the database.
New We have both, would you like some of ours?
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
     Saying "I told you so" isn't nearly so satisfying ... - (drewk) - (34)
         My sympathies, Drew. - (a6l6e6x) - (24)
             What we came up with - (drewk) - (23)
                 VC++ or not, your boss is a moron. Get the heck outta there! -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Stupid. - (admin) - (21)
                     Oh, and ... - (drewk) - (20)
                         Actually that's how we work here. - (admin) - (19)
                             Would probably work here, too - (drewk) - (1)
                                 Gotcha. - (admin)
                             Same here - (jb4) - (16)
                                 the one we used in Siemens did - (boxley)
                                 That's the 'C' in CVS - (drewk) - (12)
                                     Impossible in some situations. - (admin) - (11)
                                         must be annoying to work for a sane/logical group :-) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Hee hee hee. - (admin) - (2)
                                                 Is your system available/useful to anyone else? - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Available? I don't know? Useful? Partially. - (admin)
                                         I just wonder... - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                             I've been here 1.5 years... - (admin)
                                         Possible in more situations than most would think - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                             Here's the issue: - (admin) - (3)
                                                 That behaviour issue is addressible - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     That behaviour issue is addressible - in some orgs. - (admin) - (1)
                                                         I'm not trying to convince you, honest - (ben_tilly)
                                 That's how we use CVS - (Arkadiy)
                                 Same now, used to be better - (gdaustin)
         I work solo on most projects... - (ChrisR) - (4)
             I think that's an underlying issue here - (drewk) - (3)
                 Dead code removal is a vital function. - (admin) - (2)
                     Agreed - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         We have both, would you like some of ours? -NT - (drewk)
         Speaking on a related topic... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Yup: We unplug the HP3000s - (drewk) - (1)
                 Better than you thought, huh? - (ben_tilly)
         Prototype folder - (orion)

DON'T PANIC
70 ms