1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Should be feeling a little overwhelmed

What with:

- Teaching full-time
- Taking graduate courses part-time
- waiting on approval for a car loan (my former vehicle [84 Buick] needs $4K of engine work)

At any rate, I made an interesting discovery.

You can only sustain an emotion for a limited amount of time. As an example, I was very tense Saturday when I had to wait on loan approval for the (used) car but it's been dragging on so long that a couple of nights ago something inside of me just said "F*ck it" and I started feeling better.

So now I'm feeling surprisingly well. It's the end of my teaching week and I have a nice weekend to look forward to plus I just got paged by the auto loan company and it looks like that will be resolved before too much longer. In the meantime, the dealer has been letting me drive the car [94 Buick, total creampuff] as a sort of loaner.

So I'll catch up on my sleep tonight and try to figure out what to do for Valentine's Day. (Dinner? Go see 'Daredevil'?)

Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
New Great minds..
I too 'settled for' a '94 $30K creampuff for a bit more than 1/4th price ('cause no one knows WTF that lo-production Model was..) Hope yours is as copacetic as mine (has been after 1 year, so far). I sprang for the repair manual(s) and.. some of that stuff looks positively scary.. pray to the MTBF God, often. Hints: Change that oil! when it gets dark.. and the brake fluid INside the ABS module too.. when flushing the regular brake reservoir every couple years. This is the word from folks who have 200-300K miles on one like mine.

Also, and partly thanks to yours and others' comments in Mac forum, my ex-Dell friend scoped out the new Apples yesterday -- and saw the cute ad with the er altitude-challenged guy + the altitude-enhanced guy on an airplane: with the 12" model and the 17" model. Apple's ads continually underscore the poverty of imagination of The Beast! Love.It.

Cheers,

Ashton
New Looks like we got the car!
We got the "Thank you for your purchase" letter from the dealer today.

I'm really glad about this, even though I now have a nominal car payment every month. (Not bad, about $130). It's a LeSabre, like the last one, but it's in *much* better shape and very comfortable. Plus, it burns about half as much gas as the old one which is a plus when I'm going to Golden and back (about 20 mi. one way) three times a week.

Think we've figured out the V-Day thing... looks like a movie and dinner outing. (This is actually more special than it sounds. We haven't seen much of each other the past several weeks.)

Tom Sinclair

- E. Dijkstra
New Guess what...
No matter *WHAT* kind of 84 Buick is... I can put in a Re-Built motor for UNDER $1000. And so could you TOM...

edit = I wrote BOB and TOM.
b4k4^2
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857673,00.asp|Writing on wall, Microsoft to develop apps for Linux by 2004]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Feb. 13, 2003, 11:18:27 PM EST
New Well, I can't
I will admit, though, that the estimate was for a "Brand New" engine plus labor and Lord-knows-what-else.

Any tips on finding a friendly, honest neighborhood mechanic? I've been asking around but the consensus seems to be that they don't exist any more.

Tom Sinclair

- E. Dijkstra
New Yes you could... if you can put an application...
and/or server together... you can fix yer car...

Nope, those neighborhood mechanics... they are pretty much a thing of the past...

The tools required for "Minor maintenance" due to minimal clearnces is phenominal...

But Major stuff, still pretty much the same as it always was.
b4k4^2
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857673,00.asp|Writing on wall, Microsoft to develop apps for Linux by 2004]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New Friend of a friend. Or local rating agency.
That's about the only way I know. We've found a good mechanic at the local Shell store (highly rated in a local consumer survey), but they cost the same as the Buick dealer (they just do a much better job).

Of course, with an '84 there's probably more waiting to fail than just the engine. I know my '87 LeSabre is having lots of troubles (178,000 miles). The engine's fine except for the oil leaks, but the A/C leaks, it needs brakes, the passenger window comes out of its track, it's going to need an exhaust system (and catalyst) eventually, it's overdue for a timing chain and gears, it rattles a lot and the door seals are leaking, etc., etc. I plan on giving it to a charity in the next few months.

Unless the rest of the car (especially brakes, A/C, transmission) are in good shape, there comes a time in most cars lives when it's better to let it die and move on. It sounds like you made the right choice in getting a newer car.

Cheers,
Scott.
New In future for engine rebuilds and good mechanics
get ye to a stock car track, smaller the better. Get a pit pass and ask the guys under the hoods for recommendations. Cheap and good.
thanx.
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Exc. *practical* suggestion, Box. Will pass it on.
     So, how ya all doin'? - (inthane-chan) - (83)
         I'm doin >fiiine<... - (bepatient)
         GREAT! - (tseliot)
         Mostly good - (Silverlock) - (3)
             no SO? that will change eventually - (boxley) - (2)
                 Haven't been seeking - (Silverlock) - (1)
                     thats a good thing - (boxley)
         have a 5 yold slave driver - (boxley)
         Fine, fine. - (admin) - (2)
             Check this out - (drewk) - (1)
                 Yep, read that. Interesting stuff. -NT - (admin)
         Ask me this afternoon - (drewk)
         Doin' great. - (Yendor) - (3)
             Aaargh. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 *SO* many places to go with that one... - (Yendor) - (1)
                     Oh... yessssss... - (folkert)
         I am about to have some major news, will announce in Jobs -NT - (Arkadiy)
         Rockin' - (pwhysall)
         hey, great idea - (Steve Lowe)
         Should be feeling a little overwhelmed - (tjsinclair) - (8)
             Great minds.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Looks like we got the car! - (tjsinclair)
             Guess what... - (folkert) - (5)
                 Well, I can't - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                     Yes you could... if you can put an application... - (folkert)
                     Friend of a friend. Or local rating agency. - (Another Scott)
                     In future for engine rebuilds and good mechanics - (boxley) - (1)
                         Exc. *practical* suggestion, Box. Will pass it on. -NT - (Ashton)
         My turn! - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             a lot on your plate - (boxley)
             Re: "No more $2k/quarter bonuses without really putting... - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 I'm hourly. :D - (inthane-chan)
         Its a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underware. - (orion) - (1)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (tseliot)
         Not too bad. - (Another Scott)
         Static Update In Progress... - (static) - (14)
             12 yrs your junior? - (boxley) - (13)
                 Can't say I'm not trying... - (static) - (12)
                     you must be older than I thought. - (boxley) - (11)
                         I didn't make a big issue of it last month. - (static) - (10)
                             I'm 23 then, next month. BWAHAHA... -NT - (folkert) - (9)
                                 youngun - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                                     0x1F -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                     Whippersnapper - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                                         Heh. - (static) - (2)
                                             Just learn to leer properly and intro her as your relation:) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Be prepared... - (jbrabeck)
                                 0x1B until mid-April... -NT - (Yendor) - (2)
                                     Are you getting younger or having problems with hex? :) - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                         Touble with hex. - (Yendor)
         Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh! - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             RainX - (kmself) - (1)
                 What he said, works great for snow as well -NT - (boxley)
         doing OK... - (slugbug) - (1)
             Ditto. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Waiting is the hardest part... - (folkert) - (2)
             Adult Swim rocks... - (tjsinclair)
             Heh - another squeaker - (tuberculosis)
         Pretty good, all things considered. - (mhuber) - (3)
             empathise, my squirrel just returned from a 6 month - (boxley)
             Wow. - (inthane-chan)
             Antidepressents. - (static)
         mixed bag - (cforde)
         Yo bro - ah gotta go - back to Oz - (dmarker) - (2)
             Always wanted to see the Yellow river - (boxley) - (1)
                 Wife has always wanted to go see the silk road - (dmarker)
         Doin Aw-right! - (jb4)
         pretty good - (SpiceWare)
         Completely crazy - (jake123) - (12)
             Wow... the Dead DO Live!!!! - (folkert) - (5)
                 Rising from the deep, forty stories tall... - (jake123) - (4)
                     Sounds like DSL Down Under. - (static) - (3)
                         telstra big in cell market as well? - (boxley) - (1)
                             Oh yes. - (static)
                         Similar indeed - (jake123)
             *wince* modified a quicksort? - (static) - (5)
                 Yes... just the objects getting hamfisted around - (jake123) - (4)
                     Yes, it is generally very good. - (static) - (3)
                         Is that the one where you code after getting hammered? - (jake123) - (2)
                             You'd like this book. - (static) - (1)
                                 Yeah...:) - (jake123)
         Not bad ... - (bluke) - (1)
             yer workin, yer alive and healthy, great! -NT - (boxley)
         My two cents - (lincoln)

So less could be more, more could be less, and nothing could be most of all — sometimes.
90 ms