IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks for the info...
So this stuff is usable? I've seen you comment elsewhere IIRC that it isn't quite up to snuff...

Of course, the upside of learning ObjC is that I get (a good deal of) Smalltalk as well...
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Some people are using it
If you've got a linux box around and some time I'd say give it a shot. I think they may be on the cusp of critical mass. They even have a few GUI apps working.

Certainly its usable for non-UI stuff. The ObjectiveC core library is called foundation. There are half a dozen implementations of foundation floating around that have been used in various server apps.

The downer on the gnustep thing is their attitude. If you mention they have an issue with compatibility with an apple api they tell you to go tell apple to change.

The GSWeb stuff is being used by several companies to do projects. It looks decent.

Or you could just get a Mac :-)

What are you planning to do with it?

I think that it's extraordinarily important that we in computer science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun. Of course, the paying customer got shafted every now and then, and after a while we began to take their complaints seriously. We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful, error-free perfect use of these machines. I don't think we are. I think we're responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new directions, and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don't become missionaries. Don't feel as if you're Bible salesmen. The world has too many of those already. What you know about computing other people will learn. Don't feel as if the key to successful computing is only in your hands. What's in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.

--Alan Perlis
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Feb. 9, 2003, 08:10:19 PM EST
New ocWETHEY? :-)
I want to learn it just to learn it, so writing forum software would be a good way to do so.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Was that a Hint? :)

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857673,00.asp|Writing on wall, Microsoft to develop apps for Linux by 2004]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New Cusp sounds about right.
I went looking at what was on offer a few weeks ago because I was curious about running GNUStepping my WindowMaker install. There are quite a few screenshots of running stuff, FWIW, so there's activity happenin'. Perhaps unfortunately, they chose to use a NextStep-derived development environment which makes installing stuff fragile. I never did make anything run, but it all compiled. I think...

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Sun's internal Java problems - (ben_tilly) - (21)
         Dicussed Below - (tuberculosis) - (20)
             Speaking of which... - (admin) - (18)
                 The only platform with decent support is Linux. - (tuberculosis) - (17)
                     Thanks for the info... - (admin) - (4)
                         Some people are using it - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                             ocWETHEY? :-) - (admin) - (1)
                                 Was that a Hint? :) -NT - (folkert)
                             Cusp sounds about right. - (static)
                     Seaside - (admin) - (11)
                         Oh, you've been playing :-) - (tuberculosis) - (10)
                             The state tracking is nifty - (admin) - (9)
                                 Got a present for you then - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                     So, is zIWT a web site or a web app? - (admin) - (7)
                                         I think its a site. - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             I'll give it a looksee when I get a chance. -NT - (admin)
                                         ob: objective C blocks - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             Cool, thanks. - (admin)
                                         Squeak in a browser - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                             broke down and downloaded squeak last night - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Squeak jobs - (tuberculosis)
             oops..sorry -NT - (ben_tilly)

Mmm... flame-roasted newbie...
234 ms