IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OpEd: Replacing the United Nations
[link|http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/68084.htm|Time to try something else]

Excerpt:

The Bush administration has a chance to pioneer an international system of tiered sovereignties that would strip tyrants and their apologists of their current, horribly unjust diplomatic defenses.

It should work like this:

Level One: Every government, from Mexico to India, that respects the will of its people through democratic institutions, works for the betterment of its citizens, demonstrates progress toward respect for human rights and strives toward the rule of law deserves continued recognition of its full, legal sovereignty.

Level Two: States that cannot control their own territory, that lack the ability to protect their own citizens or to prevent international terrorists and other criminals from using their territory as a refuge, would be able to claim only partial sovereignty. More capable, rule-of-law states would have the right to intervene for limited purposes to bring killers and other criminals to justice. In every other respect, these weak, but well-intentioned states would enjoy the traditional privileges and protections of sovereignty.

Level Three: Regimes that refuse to enforce the rule of law inside their borders, that knowingly harbor terrorists and criminals, that behave aggressively toward their neighbors or that abuse their own citizens would forfeit their territorial sovereignty and their right to govern. Period.

I say:

Makes sense. And it's even nuanced!
"Going to a march organized by Communists doesn't make you a Communist, any more than going to a march organized by Nazis makes you a Nazi." - Glenn Reynolds
The trouble with the French is they have no word for "roulons."
CHICKENHAWK! Scourge of clucking hens everywhere!
Victory is the answer. There are no alternatives.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html]
Expand Edited by marlowe Feb. 4, 2003, 05:11:25 PM EST
New So has U.S. reached Level One yet? <ducking>
Tom Sinclair

"Everybody is someone else's weirdo."
- E. Dijkstra
New Level 0: Who Decides? One with most nukes? Bzzzzzt.
New Our erstwhile propagandist is lost in pixieland

but even there - just doesn't get it !!!

But what more can we expect from someone who knows for an absolute fact that "God's on my side".

DSM
New Absolution? or is that called.. Absolutism
New Didn't the US refuse something or other?
Something about immunity from "war crimes" or something.

Level Three: Regimes that refuse to enforce the rule of law inside their borders, that knowingly harbor terrorists and criminals, that behave aggressively toward their neighbors or that abuse their own citizens would forfeit their territorial sovereignty and their right to govern. Period.
Cool. The only problem I see is..............

who decides who is a "terrorists" or "criminal"?

The US is harboring people that OTHER countries claim are "criminals" guilty of "war crimes".
New Where do you place countries led by a war criminal?
Like Israel's Sharon.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New In his house in Ramallah
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New That one too! But he's a piker in number of dead.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New na, just lack of equipment keeps him out of the pro's
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New There's a problem with this.
And it's the same problem with the current arrangement: who decides what is a legitimate government?

At first I thought that the UN shouldn't discriminate. That would mean that China and Taiwan get to have seats on the UN. As well as Arafat's Palestine and Israel. And then it starts getting interesting: the Kurds in northern Iraq would want a seat, for instance. :-/

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

OpEd: Replacing the United Nations - (marlowe) - (10)
         So has U.S. reached Level One yet? <ducking> -NT - (tjsinclair)
         Level 0: Who Decides? One with most nukes? Bzzzzzt. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
             Our erstwhile propagandist is lost in pixieland - (dmarker) - (1)
                 Absolution? or is that called.. Absolutism -NT - (Ashton)
         Didn't the US refuse something or other? - (Brandioch)
         Where do you place countries led by a war criminal? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             In his house in Ramallah -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 That one too! But he's a piker in number of dead. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     na, just lack of equipment keeps him out of the pro's -NT - (boxley)
         There's a problem with this. - (static)

If she weighs the same as a duck...
52 ms