IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world:
cwbrenn wrote:

Should I start calling my comic strip "CORELDRAW/Help Desk" simply because I rely on CorelDraw to create it every day?

Does your comic strip include a copy of CorelDraw inside every copy of the newspaper, and not have a prayer of functioning without that embedded copy? Your parallel would seem to require that, for starters.

Looks to me like that parallel's pretty non-Euclidian, to say the least.

Let's play this game some more:

If I created a *proprietary* program using emacs and named it "GNU/ProprietaryApp"....

When you say "created using", do you mean "linked to and incorporating for key portions of its functionality"? You could certainly create such a thing and nobody could reasonably object. (Distributing it would be copyright violation, on account of licence conflict.) But that's not what you mean, is it?

See the category error?

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
Expand Edited by rickmoen Jan. 31, 2003, 06:42:41 PM EST
Fine... I also provided the PNG example for the strip. You can argue that every one of my comic strips "contains" the PNG format. (You can also argue that it's contained within, and you can argue both simultaneously if you're feeling particularly peevish).

"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
cwbrenn wrote:

You can argue that every one of my comic strips "contains" the PNG format.

You could. But that would be rather silly. We're talkin' 'bout inclusion of big honking codebases -- code -- not the platonic ideal of a graphics format.

There's a difference between your incorporating the idea of a sandwich into your baloney on rye and breaking into the Kilpatrick's bakery to grab some loaves so you can include them. Either way, though, I say what you have there is most definitely baloney. ;->

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

New but...
I'm not breaking into the bakery. Kilpatric has placed all the sandwich parts on a table, and has expressly given me permission to use them.

I mean, the components that went into the Linux distribution were *intended* to be used, weren't they? The whole idea behind licensing them under the GPL was to allow people to use them under the terms of that license AND NOTHING MORE, right?

So when Linux and the other distro people put together an environment and gave it a name, what exactly were they doing that showed disrespect to the GPL, to the GNU project, to the Free Software Foundation? They were using the tools as they were *intended* to be used. Why make them available to the world at large if you don't really want people using them to do their own stuff?

I'm perfectly willing to grant that the tools and libraries were an enourmous amount of work, and were absolutely necessary for the building blocks of a free software operating system. What I don't grant is that this somehow obligates the people who use those tools properly to do more than the license requires they do...
- Edward Young
New Re: but...
cwbrenn wrote:

I'm not breaking into the bakery. Kilpatric has placed all the sandwich parts on a table, and has expressly given me permission to use them.

In which case, slathering them with mayo and giving them to the public as "cwbrenn's 100% pure slab o'mayo" wouldn't be illegal. But it would be a rather tacky way to behave towards Kilpatrick Bakeries. (Not to mention greasy.) Which of course was the point.

Sorry, I just don't think you can creatively analogise your way out of the ethical issue. Though you're hardly the first person I've seen try that.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

New I don't see it as an ethical issue. Sorry.
An unethical use of the tools and libraries would be to use them in a way that violaed the GPL. The *GPL* is the ethical issue as far as free software goes.

All the tools and libraries from the GNU project were used exactly as they were intended to be used when they were designed.

The *problem* -- and it's a legitimate problem -- is that over time the whole open source thing started, and the idea of free software became diluted. But it's a political act and has nothing to do with ethical obligations. The ethical obligations are listed in the GNU General Public License and they don't extend beyond that. The tools and libraries branded by the GPL are SUPPOSED to be used by the public, are SUPPOSED to be used in other applications. That's part of the whole reason the GNU project came to be -- to restore and protect a software community that had been doing that in the first place.

There is nothing unethical about calling it Linux. Nothing is being stolen. This is not an ethical issue.

- Edward Young
New So, "ethics" = the *letter* of the law (or license), to you?
New Yes, when the REASON for the license is ETHICAL
*What* is the purpose of the GPL?

*Why* does the Free Software Foundation try to *convince* people to use the GPL?

The GPL is an ETHICAL license... the reason why there is an Open Source movement is because some people don't like the ETHICAL elements of the GPL. When you comply with the terms of the GPL, you are complying with an ETHICAL stance on software development and how the software development community should function.

So yes, Conrad, the *letter* of the license should be sufficient, especially considering the *intent* of that license.
- Edward Young
New Freaky definition of ethics, AFAICS.
New Very well.
- Edward Young
New Re: I don't see it as an ethical issue. Sorry.
cwbrenn wrote:

I don't see it as an ethical issue. Sorry.

Well, as I said up front, I'm not trying to convince anyone to use or not use particular names for things. I have no stake in doing so, and no special reason to care. I was just trying to answer Ross's question.

My main point to you has been that pretty much 100% of your arguments have suffered gross defects of logic. And, after demolition of those chains of logic, you're now reduced to...

But it's a political act and has nothing to do with ethical obligations.

...question-begging. {shrug} Oh well.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

New ???
I've heard you say "this begs the question" and I've heard you say "this is a gross defect of logic" but I've yet to see you actually PROVE any of that. All I've seen is you accuse me of being illogical -- I haven't seen you PROVE anything yet, and I doubt I will.

But hey. Feel free to enjoy the sound of your own keyboard...
- Edward Young
New ???
cwbrenn wrote:

I've yet to see you actually PROVE any of that.

Delighted to say, I can live with your having not gotten the point. So, we're both happy.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

New oh yeah...
I have no idea what "non-Euclidean" means, other than "not Euclidean". :)

- Edward Young
New Re: oh yeah...
cwbrenn wrote:

I have no idea what "non-Euclidean" means, other than "not Euclidean". :)

I was making a witticism about situations where parallel fails to be parallel.

When mathematicians were attempting to see if any of Euclid's postulates were absolutely necessary to an axiomatic system, they found to their surprise that negating one of them (the parallel postulate) created self-consistent, functional alternative systems of geometry, which were thus dubbed non-Euclidean geometries.

If none of that rings a bell, well, read some history of mathematics and science.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

The 'GNU' credit question - (rickmoen) - (33)
         Nicely put. -NT - (admin) - (5)
             Seconded -NT - (bepatient) - (4)
                 Thirded. -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                     GNU/Forth'd -NT - (kmself) - (2)
                         gForth - very fast - not GNU/Forth -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Rick, when you shine is is dazzling - nice work !!! -NT - (dmarker)
         Mine. - (Brandioch) - (1)
             Re: Mine. - (rickmoen)
         Re: The 'GNU' credit question - (deSitter) - (3)
             Re: The 'GNU' credit question - (rickmoen)
             Re: The 'GNU' credit question - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 ln -s /dev/null /dev/stfu - ROFL -NT - (deSitter)
         is linux linux sans gnu ? - (boxley)
         That last answer is a corker! :-) -NT - (static)
         I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (cwbrenn) - (18)
             Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (rickmoen) - (14)
                 Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (cwbrenn) - (11)
                     Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (rickmoen) - (10)
                         but... - (cwbrenn) - (9)
                             Re: but... - (rickmoen) - (8)
                                 I don't see it as an ethical issue. Sorry. - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                                     So, "ethics" = the *letter* of the law (or license), to you? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Yes, when the REASON for the license is ETHICAL - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                                             Freaky definition of ethics, AFAICS. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Very well. -NT - (cwbrenn)
                                     Re: I don't see it as an ethical issue. Sorry. - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                         ??? - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                             ??? - (rickmoen)
                 oh yeah... - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                     Re: oh yeah... - (rickmoen)
             Re: I open mine big fat mouth and say unto the world: - (deSitter)
             Why I say GNU/Linux - (kmself) - (1)
                 I'll give Stallman a lot - (cwbrenn)

I'm into you like an undersized thong.
159 ms