IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Problem with a console switch box
I got a Belkin OmniCube 4 port console switch so I could easily run my Linux and Windows boxes at the same time.

Linux works fine, I can switch away and back without any problems. Windows however screws up the pointer settings when I switch It probably has something to do with my using a Logitech Trackball rather then some simple simple device, but I like my trackball.

Under Windows, every time I switch back I have to reset the sampling rate to get it work correctly. My trackball only works correctly at a high 200/sec sampling rate and it acts like the sampling rate got reset to default somehow while switching.

I havn't investigated this at all yet, heck I havn't even read the manual for the switch yet. But I was wondering if anybody else had seen a similar problem.

Jay
New Which Windows?
3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, Me, NT3, NT4, 2000, XP? They get progressively intolerant of being switched, especially with a simple mechanical switch. With Windows 2000 I've only been able to switch video. Keyboard & Mouse get totally screwed up. With previous versions only the mouse gets screwed up.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Windows ME
It's what it came installed with, and I havn't had a reason to change it. It's mostly a game and internet box. Though now that I can run Linux easily I'll be doing most of my interent browsing from there.

The manual for the switch box does have some information on mice, but basicly it amounts to saying if it's not a generic or a MS mouse your hosed.

My copy of Kylix came to today, but I won't have time to install it till this weekend. Once I get that running, I'll probably spend more time under Linux then Windows.

Jay
New Windows ME? Just shoot yourself now.
My laptop also came with WinME and so far I think it blows.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New everytime you switch to windows, reboot:)I lose mice also :(
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New with Win 95, no problems so far (w/Edimax)
If Andrew is right, that may be another reason for sticking with Win 95 (or Win98) -- my Win desktop has to be able to work reliably with a switchbox.

I'd think you'd want a real server OS to be able to work reliably with a switchbox. So, if W2K can't handle switchboxes, it isn't a real server OS.

Tony
New Re: with Win 95, no problems so far (w/Edimax)
No problems here, 2 servers running W2K Server SP2, Belkin OmniCube 4 port KVM.

Works just dandy.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New You'd think so, wouldn't you?
However, with a purely mechanicial switchbox, Win2k would lose the keyboard and the mouse. Windows 95b didn't. So I found a switchbox with mouse and keyboard emulation so the PC doesn't see it vanish. Now Win2k just loses the mouse acceleration. :-/

The very expensive switchboxes are better at this, and so is "proper" server hardware. My old no-name motherboard doesn't like the PS/2 mouse disappearing at all and my Asus motherboard isn't a great deal better. However, I found that all the Dell Poweredge servers I've worked on don't care at all, no matter what OS is running.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Problem with a console switch box - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
         Which Windows? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Windows ME - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                 Windows ME? Just shoot yourself now. - (wharris2)
         everytime you switch to windows, reboot:)I lose mice also :( -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             with Win 95, no problems so far (w/Edimax) - (tonytib) - (2)
                 Re: with Win 95, no problems so far (w/Edimax) - (pwhysall)
                 You'd think so, wouldn't you? - (static)

Using this formulation, the cat can be dead and deader.
79 ms