IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fiorina is not good leadership material
People who want to be "celebrity CEOs" tend to be bad for business.

Compare how [link|http://www.jimcollins.com/ViewPub.asp?id=186|good leaders] would operate with how she is operating. Need I say more?

Cheers,
Ben
New Damn Ben.. where do you *find* these links?
Mr. Jim Collins appears to comprehend fully - the magnitude of the differences between a ~ "business genius" and the tawdry bizness droids - like the odious example also cited:
By contrast, consider the courtship of personal celebrity by the comparison CEOs. Scott Paper, the comparison company to
Kimberly-Clark, hired Al Dunlap as CEO \ufffd a man who would tell anyone who would listen (and many who would prefer not
to) about his accomplishments. After 19 months atop Scott Paper, Dunlap said in BusinessWeek: \ufffdThe Scott story will go
down in the annals of American business history as one of the most successful, quickest turnarounds ever. It makes other
turnarounds pale by comparison.\ufffd He personally accrued $100 million for 603 days of work at Scott Paper \ufffd or about
$165,000 per day \ufffd largely by slashing the workforce, halving the R&D budget, and putting the company on growth steroids
in preparation for sale. After selling off the company and pocketing his quick millions, Dunlap wrote an autobiography, in
which he boastfully dubbed himself \ufffdRambo in pinstripes.\ufffd It\ufffds hard to imagine Darwin Smith thinking, \ufffdHey, that Rambo
character reminds me of me,\ufffd let alone stating it publicly.
A most illuminating essay; have to read more on his site. So much in this field is pure unadulterated TLA-BS yet, there are the occasional sentient beings amidst all the expensively-suited detritus.

Thanks - good writing is always welcome..

A.
New Chainsaw Al got his comeuppance...
[link|http://www.time.com/time/magazine/1998/dom/980629/business.chainsaw_al_get15.html|Chainsaw Al Gets The Chop] at Time magazine.

Some companies, for a time, benefitted from slashing of payroll, etc. But too many managers and Wall Street types took such tactics as the only way to turn a firm around. It's good to see that Chainsaw Al was taken down before he had a chance to retire as a guru of business. It's a shame he took so many people with him...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not really.. never, in Murica
He never had to "work for that $1/ year" until his mischief was undone. The lost jobs and screwed up lives - in integrated suffering? - is never repaid under Repo-based capitalism. Of course though - his Ego suffered a severe slash; perhaps more deadly for such creatures than a burst appendix (?)

Even the author - an unreconstructed Slash n'Burn addict - only thinks ~ Al went just a bit too far, but.. the IDEA is Good.. etc. Just another undereducated MBA with a soap box.

Aside: last Sunday's paper compared some English gaffes committed by "a particular Harvard 'C' Student" and similar kinds from (papers written at) Community Colleges. Task - separate out Which was Which (source). Hard.. the CCs generally did better.

Spare us all from further 'profess-ionals'. Please.

A.
New Good article!
New But even big-mouths can be a "4"
Lee Iacocca did get Chrysler out of a hump and into a growth mode. IOW, you don't have to have a 5 in place to grow *some*. A 5 would be nice, but lets be realistic.
             Merger makes little sense - (bluke) - (8)
                 It makes sense for HP and Compaq management - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Anything that stands to get . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Yup look at HB Systems in Anchorage - (boxley)
                 Its a stupidity attraction... - (addison)
                 Bloomberg agrees. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Anecdotal addendum.. - (Ashton)
                 Re: Didn't HP buy consulting arm of Price Waterhouse ? - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     Tried, failed. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
             Along those lines - (GBert)
         Fiorina is not good leadership material - (ben_tilly) - (5)
             Damn Ben.. where do you *find* these links? - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Chainsaw Al got his comeuppance... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Not really.. never, in Murica - (Ashton)
             Good article! -NT - (tonytib)
             But even big-mouths can be a "4" - (tablizer)
         Rousing raspberry from the stockmarket. - (Another Scott)
         Do I hear 20.3B? How about 19.7B? Now 18.9B? - (gdaustin)
         "Compackard"? -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
             No - Hewlett Packard - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Ah.. I see. Then, when Sony - (Ashton)
         Conspiracy theory time - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             BTW, MIPS isn't dead -- probably outsells P IV - (tonytib)

Did I already say great googly moogly?
98 ms