IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New this is how I'd do it
select t.*,\n       (u1.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u1.LASTNAME) AT_FULLNAME,\n       (u2.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u2.LASTNAME) OB_FULLNAME,\n       (u3.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u3.LASTNAME) RB_FULLNAME\n  from tickets t,\n       users u1,\n       users u2,\n       users u3\n where t.ASSIGNEDTO  = u1.USERID (+)\n   and t.OPENEDBY    = u2.USERID (+)\n   and t.REQUESTEDBY = u3.USERID (+)\n
u1.USERID would be NULL if there wasn't a match. W/out the (+) the result would be empty if any USERID didn't match.

I've standardized our company to use this format for queries. It makes them much easier to read and maintain.

Note: I'm using Oracle

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

Expand Edited by SpiceWare Jan. 20, 2003, 02:06:41 PM EST
New Do you do that...
...even when the DB is guaranteed to always have a match between UserID and the other fields?

Just curious, as a n00b db programmer, always looking out for Best Practices, etc.
Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.
New As to whether you *should* do that
It sort of depends on the DB you're using. If you're using something like MySQL without triggers and foreign key constraints[1] then you can't really "guarantee" that there will really always be matches. Adding field constraints as in Postgres or Oracle, you can guarantee that a mis-typed query will never produce invalid data.

Any time I think I can rely on an assumption that is only enforced by policy, and not by the system itself, the assumption is always proved wrong at some point. I like having assumptions spelled out in the code/queries.

[1] Yes, I know there are versions that have it. I don't know anyone who has migrated a production system to one of these versions yet.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New how's it guaranteed?
is the relationship being enforced by the database? I've been bit a couple times where data that was "guaranteed to be there" wasn't.

While I don't always use it, if there's a chance of data missing I'll use (+) and test for null on the key field using ISNULL() in the program. NULLS are hard to see when running the query interactively, so I'd then use the NVL function:
NVL(p1,p2) = if p1 is null then return p2 else return p1

select t.*,\n       nvl(u1.FIRSTNAME, 'data missing') AT_FIRSTNAME,\n       nvl(u2.FIRSTNAME, 'data missing') OB_FIRSTNAME,\n       nvl(u3.FIRSTNAME, 'data missing') RB_FIRSTNAME\n  from tickets t,\n       users u1,\n       users u2,\n       users u3\n where t.ASSIGNEDTO  = u1.USERID (+)\n   and t.OPENEDBY    = u2.USERID (+)\n   and t.REQUESTEDBY = u3.USERID (+)

I found that using (+) is a quick(performance) way to get a list of what's not in the other file. To see all tickets with an invalid ASSIGNEDTO value, I'd use this:
select t.*,\n  from tickets t,\n       users u1\n where t.ASSIGNEDTO  = u1.USERID (+)\n   and u1.USERID is null\n

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Enforced by DB.
New This is how I'd do it
SELECT t.*,\n       (u1.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u1.LASTNAME) AT_FULLNAME,\n       (u2.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u2.LASTNAME) OB_FULLNAME,\n       (u3.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u3.LASTNAME) RB_FULLNAME\n  FROM tickets t,\n       LEFT JOIN users u1 ON t.USERID = u1.USERID,\n       LEFT JOIN users u2 ON t.USERID = u2.USERID,\n       LEFT JOIN users u3 ON t.USERID = u3.USERID

This will solve the problem of non-matching records that you fixed on Oracle with the (+) operator. If you can assume there will always be a match, you can do:
SELECT t.*,\n       (u1.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u1.LASTNAME) AT_FULLNAME,\n       (u2.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u2.LASTNAME) OB_FULLNAME,\n       (u3.FIRSTNAME || ' ' || u3.LASTNAME) RB_FULLNAME\n  FROM tickets t,\n       users u1,\n       users u2,\n       users u3\n  WHERE\n       t.USERID = u1.USERID AND\n       t.USERID = u2.USERID AND\n       t.USERID = u3.USERID

The second will (I believe) be faster. I can't verify the first version is SQL92 compliant, but works[1] on both Postgres and MySQL.

[1] "I have not tested this, only verified it for correctness."
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
     Trying to build a query (n00b) - (inthane-chan) - (20)
         Off the top of my head - (JayMehaffey) - (8)
             Blew my SQL engine... - (inthane-chan)
             What is this INNER JOIN nonsense? - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                 Why do you say that? - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
                     /me relearns the value of double-checking references... - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         It works in MS SQL Server as well. - (orion)
                         Actually, Oracle also uses the JOIN syntax, as of version... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             And that may be where my bias is from - (ben_tilly)
                         I must be an exception. - (static)
         Is this what you want? - (ChrisR) - (1)
             That looks good... -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Here I come to save the day - (orion)
         Fixed. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             We posted around the same time - (orion)
         this is how I'd do it - (SpiceWare) - (5)
             Do you do that... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 As to whether you *should* do that - (drewk)
                 how's it guaranteed? - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     Enforced by DB. -NT - (inthane-chan)
             This is how I'd do it - (drewk)

Kind of greenish blue, but not as greenish as, say, teal.
103 ms