IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A few thoughts...
You write:
item: Yeah, Saddam's done this before. It wasn't a weapon of mass destruction then. It still isn't.

It was for the fish, the birds, the mammals and anything in the food chain that depended on them... If spilling thousands of barrels of oil into the sea is no problem... Understand your point, but this issue you are marginalizing.

item: I don't know in the context of your post who you think is desperate to hate America. I further have no idea who you think is supporting Saddam. You should note that objecting to a person or country being robbed at gunpoint does not necessarily imply support.

Those that are opposing the war because of guilt for being a part of the American empire or those that are knee jerking opposition to any war for any reason. These are the people who are desparate to hate America. Because they hate themselves, I being one of them. I'll leave you're "being robbed at gunpoint" statement alone... There's a lot of robbing going on by all sides... OPEC, use of Palestinian issue, etc...

The U.S. finds itself in an unique epoch for it's history. It is no longer a part of the British Empire, yet has modeled itself (from it's courts, government, even recreational activities) after it's former empiricist founders. What else would it do?

After the collapse of the Soviet Union in the last century, America's military power is almost without compare - the disparity, that is, between the might of the US and the "rest of the world". The odds of a country or countries successfully invading the US are almost nil (not even considering the nuclear stalemate "if you try to take us over, we'll make the world uninhabitable for anything living".)

To wit, America builds empires very much like the British did, through economics. The only difference being that we do not "officially" control the occupied nor do we usually have to invade them - we're usually invited in. One of our territories, er, "trading partners" has not been cooperating with us well and we will keep them in line. Make no mistake. The majority of Americans will go about their merry way and allow people of conscience like you to make up the euphemisms for them.

The history of mankind is the history of empires. No matter what euphemisms that people try to banter about, the United States can do "what it wishes" because noone can stop it except for it's own citizens, and for the most part, why would it's own citizens really be interested in paying $5 to $10 a gallon for gas and heating oil? It would bring the economy (it's the economy stupid - Pavlovian salivate to politicians - Americans pay much less attention to world politics if the economy is either good or bad :-)) to it's knees at a time when it is most unfortunate (and unnacceptable - regardless which party where in office). In other words, which hedonistic element of American society would stop this war? Republicans? Democrats? Green Party? Transgender Electricians Union 403? The Iwantmysuvforchrist Brotherhood of Hedonisticcapitalistpigsfornomatterwhatisay Illstillwantmysuvthankyouverymuch?

Seeing that Doug started this thread and shares the same basic history (former British territory) and the same basic setup of all things British (government, legal system, etc.), I can only conclude that if his country were in the same military position as ours, and ours as in Australia, we would be voicing the same concerns about Australia... "Where's your conscience, boys?" When he damned well knows where it is. "It's in our own hedonistic self interests, Mate. But by the way, we'll make oil cheap for you too 'cause you're our buddies - wink." I'm sure that the conscientious people of Australia will not take a price break on petrol and stand on their own impeccable principle?

No Doug, you'll find a few bleeding hearts to pay you lip service in a bb, but I'll tell you what I see, in the last twenty years in this country we don't even fucking pretend to care about the rest of the world anymore... Our political discourse has to do with Our OWN economy and Our OWN "rights to more shit". Period. Sorry Mate. I truly wish it weren't so. It's getting tedious. We know we have no moral high ground, we just don't even fucking care anymore... So give it a rest?

item: We (the citizens of the US) do not have any right to decide to do anything to citizens of a different country without some kind of provication. What their ruler does to them does not enter into the equasion.

Number 1 - See above.

But just where is that "without provocation" clause written down? Somewhere in the US Constitution? Somewhere in a UN Charter (probably is, but we created the UN anyway and seeing that the next passenger plane/plain old bomb is targeting it's building in NYC...) What gives you the right to tell me (another American) what right I have if it ain't on some old piece of paper signed by a bunch of old dead dudes? I am just as entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of more shit as you are... Our votes cancel eachother out.

By the way, we're all in this together. You'd think that with all that human history shit and all written down, that maybe this empire would learn from the mistakes of the past... Hubris. My SUV gets less MPG than the Concord... It's the economy STUPID... ad nauseum. 'nuff said, hnick?
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
and you think your so clever and classless and free,
your still fucking peasants as far as I can see

J. Lennon - Working Class Hero
New It's more than that.
Our political discourse has to do with Our OWN economy and Our OWN "rights to more shit". Period. Sorry Mate. I truly wish it weren't so. It's getting tedious. We know we have no moral high ground, we just don't even fucking care anymore... So give it a rest?
No. Because if we don't define our morals and follow them, then we aren't any better than any other dictator.

Which results in Might Makes Right. If we have the power, we rule.

Our country was not founded on those principles. Our legal system is not founded upon those principles.

So why should our foreign policy be founded on those principles?

It should not be. Which was part of the reasoning behind the UN.

As we're getting ready in invade a foreign country that hasn't attacked anyone in 11 years, we're also stripping the rights from our own populace. Even to the point of replacing our courts with secret military tribunals and indefinate detention.

The morals you follow are all that distinguishes the democracy from the Fascist state.
New Re: It's more than that.
No. Because if we don't define our morals and follow them, then we aren't any better than any other dictator.

Which results in Might Makes Right. If we have the power, we rule.

Hmm. Definite threat. This particular sheep^h^h^h^h^hcitizen appears to be on to the general plan. Bears watching.

Our country was not founded on those principles. Our legal system is not founded upon those principles.

Yikes! Probably doesn't believe in God, either, with an attitude like that. I'll have to bring him up at the weekly prayer meeting, maybe I can convince the President to pray for his soul.

As we're getting ready in invade a foreign country that hasn't attacked anyone in 11 years, we're also stripping the rights from our own populace. Even to the point of replacing our courts with secret military tribunals and indefinate detention.

The morals you follow are all that distinguishes the democracy from the Fascist state.

On second thought, we'll skip the prayer meeting and go directly to the NSA with this guy - he's definitely got me worried.
New LMAO...
Hey Ashcroft, lighten up, eh?
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

Living is easy with eyes closed
misunderstanding all you see,
it's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
it doesn't matter much to me

J. Lennon - Strawberry Fields Forever
New The Gospel according to St. Kirk | W is "sick & tired" !!
(in that recurrent argument with Spock re the bloodthirstiness of homus sapus)

Yes! We're Killers!! ..but each day we can get up and say, "Today I will not kill. Today I won't Kill.."

So... yes - 'we' are venal; our cupidity is our Hallmark. We are sanctimonious; our massive hypocrisy and shallowness is how we are known in all times and places elsewhere in the world - and we are simplistic, juvenile and.. more often lately - just plain nasty. BUT.. something within the best of 'us' Knows This as even (the writer for a ham-actor like 'Kirk') Knows This.

Maybe that's actually the Best you ever Can get from homus sapus - the stirrings of an inner 'watcher' who knows when you are being naughty. And it's fucking irrelevant to embroider that Watcher with oozy veneers of Corp religious theory du jour, or psychobabble either. Anyone half-alive knows something about the Guts inside, however inarticulate about the label.

'We' either Listen to that voice inside - or we lock-step behind the Dubyas and their handlers (and beaucoup apologists) and warm up Onward Christian Soldiers One More Time.

You OTOH: suggest it's all a fait accompli because {sigh}\ufffd that's Just The Way We Are. Bull shit. That's The Way mobs are - not individuals. And it's only ever a few individuals.. who ever 'do anything' anyway, and who refuse to yield to recursive and lugubrious resignation.

In the past, we've been very slow to rise to the occasion. Look how many years of Vietnam slaughterr had to occur before hundreds of thousands finally marched in cities all across the US - not just Berkeley! The techno of today - including esp. re instant communications of what-if?s - denies us the sloth of 'waiting a few years/months?' for it to get Rilly Bad in the march towards WW-III. And those nukes awaiting.

This Time: we have a hick with the football, and one clearly intent upon unilateral pursuit of Fixing the World His Way, and one who neither knows what the rest of the world really thinks - or *cares*.

Anyway Dan, I guess we'll both see -shortly- whether the sloth of Inertia Rulez.

Ashton

PS Dubya just *NOW* said on Newshour.. I'm sick and tired of his deceptions... Now we all know what follows Any demagogue's use of that trite piece of Doggerel Americanus: No Thought Will Follow It.

It's gonna be a Bumpy Ride.
Siva closes eyes - a universe disappears.
No Big Deal, akshully..
New Klingon addendum (is this redundant?)
Ashton,
You're ever the optimist! ;-?

You gush:
"You OTOH: suggest it's all a fait accompli because {sigh}\ufffd that's Just The Way We Are. Bull shit. That's The Way mobs are - not individuals. And it's only ever a few individuals.. who ever 'do anything' anyway, and who refuse to yield to recursive and lugubrious resignation."

I think I've heard that song before... some guy named Bruce Hornsby or something. "Ah, but don't you believe them..." Dah dah dumb dumb dumb, dah dah dumb dumb dumb. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb...

Need I say anything else? (probably)

It's not necessary a fait accompli, but it would fit nicely in the history books given the pattern, n'est ce pas?
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

New Yield to the mob? LaGuerre?_Civil disobedience; c'est La Vie
New Chuckle... Massive oil spills == WMD? Possibilities....

It was for the fish, the birds, the mammals and anything in the food chain that depended on them... If spilling thousands of barrels of oil into the sea is no problem... Understand your point, but this issue you are marginalizing.

Chuckle, if a massive oil spill is construed to be a WMD, what does that do to the liability of oil companies when their oil tankers run aground?

(for more fun, consider the Exxon Valdez and Captain Hazelwood... and possibilities.)
New Hazelwood was a terrorist...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

New At last - some honesty
Half of the abuse in this forum (if not a lot more) can really be attributed to the difference between: immature thinking and denialists vs the look at the facts people having a go at them.

What I call immature thinking is not a criticism, just my way of saying that some people here appear to have not had enough life experience to know the diference between ideals vs cold hard reality. A classic example of this immature myopia is anyone here who argues that US attacking Iraq is mostly about protecting USA vs mostly about US protecting its economy (by garnering control of either the 3rd largest oil reserves or potentially the largest oil reserves, that have the cheapest extraction price & easiest access, in the world.

For you to come forward and state quite openly, that this is about you and your fellows, grabbing what you can for yourselves, is bing bluntly honest but this POV stings those who don't want to admit it or see it that way. They would rather believe they are doing the world a favour by going to war.

In the past I have stated many times that my difficulty with Bush & the republicans is that they are barefacedly lying to their on people in carrying out this deed & my problem is I find it hard to stand back and pretend they are not lying. One of the big accusations Americans & Brits etc: used to throw at Germans after WW2 was "you *must* have known what was going on" - the Germans would say "but we didn't know - we believed our leaders" (in relation to racial cleansing, jewish pogroms & camps, invading poland, etc: etc:).

Well lies are being told today & if there are those among us who decide they will go with the flow & not buck the trend, that is their choice, just be prepared at a future date to look your grandchildren in the eye & tell them you either did know what was going on but let it happen without question or that you didn't because you believed what you were told.

Of course most of us would love money for jam, cheap oil, cheap cars, cheap houses, cheap clothes, the easy life. But when that comes at the expense of other humans well being one has a moral dilema to deal with.

I am interpreting your position as "STFU - most of us know what this really about - you would do it too if in similar position - just don't try to stop us !!!" - am happy for you to correct this. At least it is being honest.

Cheers

Doug
Expand Edited by dmarker Jan. 14, 2003, 08:42:19 PM EST
New It's absolutely much deeper than even that...
On the one hand, the post above was my interpretation of the current macro view of American culture and political debate. I, of course, cannot speak for all Americans but I believe that it accurately represents a general trend that I have seen over the past 20 years (drastically accelerated after the fall of the Soviet Union). Of course, the rhetoric is filled with euphemisms, etc...

As per my own personal view, this is my way of protesting. To state what I believe is the prevailing "truth" underlying the euphemisms about "just wars" and all the other bullshit.

And who really knows, maybe the rhetoric is correct. If the US can stabilize the oil markets, it could lead to greater prosperity for a larger number of people. The people in Afghanistan (who were not injured or killed) are most probably better off because of our presence, most probably moving forward. After oppressive Soviet and then Taliban regiemes, our (US) biggest threat posed is that we will leave them alone...

Whether "the world" understands it our not, we are moving to a globalization (driven by technology and economics) and cultures will be enhanced and cultures will be destroyed. I honestly believe that W. does get it... I would even go as far as to predict that English (via the defacto standard of the Internet) will be spoken by most people on the planet by the end of this century. I view this as generally a good thing, in that it will allow people the opportunity to work with eachother more easily if we can tear down some of the cognitive dissonance created by ethos, mythos and plain old differing language.

To me, to say I dislike a person because he is French or Australian, is just as demeaning as saying I dislike a person because he is black or because he is an orthodox jew... It should be irrelevant, "do you dislike the man?". It isn't, but should be. I suggest that you give a look (or another look) at Toffler's The Third Wave or War and Antiwar to give you a better idea at what I basically believe is happening in the macro sense.

To get even more to the heart of this particular matter, even though I do not agree with the rhetoric out of Washington, the UN or the "world", I think that Iraq will indeed be better off after this is finished, if we follow the pattern of the past (see Germany, Japan, Afghanistan). Note, the wars that we lost... Vietnam and Korea... Those areas are certainly better off... At differing times during the Roman and British empires you were better off being with them as well.

So as for being a "good Nazi", maybe. Only time can determine that. My own conscience is somewhat appeased by my conviction that this current administration is generally doing the right thing (if not for their stated reasons). The key is that, America must follow through with reconstruction and demanding democracy in the places that it engineers. As long America remains a democracy, there is hope and this how I differentiate the "tyranny of America" versus the "tyranny of a third world dictator". There is no hope in a third world dictatorship in the global economy/world.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

New Re: It's absolutely much deeper than even that...

I a general sense, what you say seems ok. I would question the reality of US investing to clean up or improve the lot of affected people (such as Iraqis after an invasion). We need to recall that Iraq to some degree was suffering because of US led sanctions designed to cripple the country & bring down Saddam.

Vietnam suffered 20 years of a kind of 'revenge' and is behind most other parts of Asia in prosperity & recovery, which is only now occuring because US would rather mute any Vietnamese hostility at a time when the country can be used as a hedge against their tradidtional foes the Chinese.

An insight into your perspective is Nth Korea. Here in Asia there is a strong perception that NK was finally coming out of its isolation & if handled carefully would eventually have to become a responsible citizen. The view is that NK got forced into a corner by US and decided to get beligerent as its only available lever to get aid. I am no supporter of NK or its 'dear' leader - he to me is worse than Saddam by any long shot. But, I am begining to believe that NK may be justifiably putting the torch on the US as the instigator of new tensions in the region (I never believed I would find my self saying anything in support of NK).
Part of our problem in looking at NK is that many of us find it easier to think, "just NUKE the bast**** and get it over with" but anyone one with half a brain knows hoe pathetic a strategy that would be today & the devestating effect it would have on neibouring countries & world stability. Again, the prevailing (and seemingly correct) view here in Asia is that US is actually handling NK properly now that it has reacted to past approach, but that the Iraq folly is the transparent deed that is feared will create more anti-US sentiment than is needed or healthy.

Anyway, in support of your gneral views, I am one of those who believed that Reagan's tough stance against Soviets, had more to do with the falling of the berlin wall & the collapse of the Soviet empire than any other single deed such as their Afghanistan adventure. It is not lost on me that the same advisers who engineered Reagan's policies are the same people who were behind Bush 1 & now W. But, I never felt that the first 2 had to lie as much as W is doing (specificalyy re Iraq & why it will be invaded).

Cheers

Doug
New We made quite a mess all over the world...
Us and the British et al and (by proxie) the Russians. The end of WWII and treaties signed then and the ensuing cold war brought about many strange bedfellows... You brought up the harm we did to Iraq, but, how about all the neat military shit we gave them when they were our friends and fighting the barbaric Iranians?

I would go even as far as to say, we helped create Sadam. Sadam's Iraq is perhaps the most progressive of the Arab countries (based on the general quality of life measures - roads, radios per 1000, etc.)

Even more interesting than NK in Asian politics (to me) is the continuing "alliance" with Pakistan against (?) India (the second most populace country in the world).

By the by, I think the US has already hinted at playing the South Korea/Japan/Hong Kong card with the Chinese (arming them with nukes that is). And, in a military sense, it would be the correct move on the US part, putting really only Hawaii (and unfortunately Australia and the whole of Asia) in immediate danger.

To wit, if you check out [link|http://www.prb.org//Content/ContentGroups/Datasheets/wpds2002/2002_World_Population_Data_Sheet.htm|http://www.prb.org//...on_Data_Sheet.htm]
and download the PDF, it will gives a summary of current population (2002) and projected to 2050. Notice who is no 1, 4, 5, and 8 in 2050. Do you think this in any way effects political planners in any countries? I honestly believe it might, but I'm just curious...

To answer one more anticipated question, yes, there are some really smart sons of bitches that "think that way" in the intelligence agencies and gov think tanks. And yes, I believe that the British (by proxie) Empire is continued through US foreign policy. I've even noticed that foreign press is even no longer including the words "and Great Britian" after "the US"... It does kind of negate the expression "the US and UK, unilaterally decided etc."

Random thoughts...

Screamer

War on Iraq: Possible scenarios - (dmarker) - (29)
         I predicted end of January - (deSitter) - (1)
             Ross, Ross, Ross... - (jb4)
         Justification, we don't need to stinkin' justification.... - (Simon_Jester)
         Lack of evidence can mean only one thing. - (Brandioch) - (1)
             Re: Lack of evidence can mean only one thing. - (deSitter)
         Extending your first hypothisis - (hnick) - (22)
             And the best part is, he'd be right! - (marlowe) - (17)
                 Oh, for crying in a bucket... - (hnick) - (13)
                     A few thoughts... - (screamer) - (12)
                         It's more than that. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                             Re: It's more than that. - (John Ashcroft) - (1)
                                 LMAO... - (screamer)
                         The Gospel according to St. Kirk | W is "sick & tired" !! - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Klingon addendum (is this redundant?) - (screamer) - (1)
                                 Yield to the mob? LaGuerre?_Civil disobedience; c'est La Vie -NT - (Ashton)
                         Chuckle... Massive oil spills == WMD? Possibilities.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                             Hazelwood was a terrorist... -NT - (screamer)
                         At last - some honesty - (dmarker) - (3)
                             It's absolutely much deeper than even that... - (screamer) - (2)
                                 Re: It's absolutely much deeper than even that... - (dmarker) - (1)
                                     We made quite a mess all over the world... - (screamer)
                 Please identify the traitor - (mhuber) - (2)
                     He has no 'program', only Cliff's Notes - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Yeah, I know. - (mhuber)
             *snort* - (jb4)
             Nit re: "spill into the Med" - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 Yup.. you're right - (hnick)
             Nice Dubyaesque pondering there, Hugh! - (Ashton)
         Non-Justification - (JayMehaffey)

At least their extensions make something resembling sense.
72 ms