IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, back in service same day - no data loss
To quote Trudy, a business associate of mine who's a former mainframer, "I hate tape. There's just nothing worse than tape - except not having tape".

Removable hard disks have a number of problems, the greatest of which are bulk, fragility, cost and connector wear and contamination.

Looking at the system I was dealing with here, it's a complex, heavily used, 16-user Point of Sale / order tracking / production tracking system. It's prudent to rotate media daily on a 7 day cycle (plus a monthly cycle of Fridays if possible, and annual archives). and carry the most recent backup off-site.

Removable hard drives are too big to fit in purse or pocket and would be quickly destroyed by dropping and other accidents.

Yes, you can't trust a tape system. You have to auto-verify your backups daily and test restore every few weeks, but it's still the most practical, because it's fast, and the media is durable, portable, and cheap.

The death of tape has been predicted for every year in the past 15 years, but it's still with us, and will be for awhile.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Super
A well constructed system always seems to have hidden redundancies.

As for removable drives, I use a laptop with a docking station and a drive in a removable caddy for a weekly "system state" backup and put it in the fireproof safe. Since it's locked in the caddy, the drive is safe from crushing, and laptop drives are manufactured to survive more g-shock, so beating it up is not a problem with reasonable handling. I use tapes for incremental dailies.

-drl
New So, tape is like Linux (and democrcy)
I hate tape. There's just nothing worse than tape - except not having tape.

I've heard it said of democracy and (lately) Linux: It's the worst possible solution, except for all the alternatives.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
     Re: Oh, man! What a mess . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
         Better you 'an me... - (folkert)
         Odd web funky - (broomberg) - (2)
             Same with Mozilla on WINXP, LINUX and FreeBSD - (folkert)
             Will check and correct - thanks. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Oh, man! What a mess . . - (deSitter) - (3)
             Yes, back in service same day - no data loss - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Super - (deSitter)
                 So, tape is like Linux (and democrcy) - (drewk)

A day late and a dollar short.
143 ms