IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New First Post!
<sarcasm="Wow. I can't believe I beat everyone else!" /> (Note use of new tag format)

<sarcasm>Looks like there's a lot of NetWare interest around here.</sarcasm> (Classic format is still valid, too)

Mmmm, Ok, now what do I talk about?

Oh, yeah. NT sucks! After spending the last 2 years administering an NT domain, I can't believe what a piece of crap this junk is. NetWare is just incredibly easier to administer, and it actually feels like it was engineered, rather than thrown together by a bunch of high-school kids who don't know what they're doing.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. Where's a good MS shill when you need one.

It's a shame Microsoft has been able to leverage its desktop monopoly into a near-monopoly in the fileserver market, when NetWare is so superior. Oh well, guess I can root for Linux.
New Oh, we have an MS Shill
But I don't know if Peter generally looks in here.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New In a way, maybe that's bad too.
Kelzer writes:
It's a shame Microsoft has been able to leverage its desktop monopoly into a near-monopoly in the fileserver market, when NetWare is so superior. Oh well, guess I can root for Linux.
But, if a lot more people than you have that attitude, that'll virtually gurantee that it comes true -- you'd be helping the prophecy of Netware's demise to become self-fulfilling.

So what's next -- if or when Linux isn't an immediate M$-killer, let's abandon it, in turn, for something new? Maybe that's one of the many things that keep the Redmonopoly going: We can't seem to stick with one competitor long enough for it to have time to work. (Bye, OS/2!)*

Note that I am not accusing or blaming you personally, Kelzer (Oh, BTW: Hi, and welcome!), of anything; just pointing out that a lack of perseverance, an inability to unite around one "main competitor" at a time (for a little longer than a Warhol Fame Period**), may be a real existing reason for the persistence of Bill's stranglehold over the computing public.

Just a (sad) little observation that came to mind, reading your post.

*: Then again, sometimes they rise from the dead after a while. (Hello, OS/2 eComStation!)

**: "Who the fuck is Warhol? Oh, just some guy, I suppose he must have been famous once... As I recall, mainly for saying that in the future, everybody would be famous for fifteen minutes."
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Don't misunderstand me
I haven't given up on Novell. Given the choice, I'd be using it today. I still extoll its virtues to anyone who'll listen. I still root for NetWare, but I believe Linux has a better chance because its business model is the only one that can compete with Microsoft on a large scale. Of course, if the anti-trust remedies are adequate, perhaps NetWare, Navigator, WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and other former market leaders might make a comeback.

New I can go one better.
"It's a shame Banyan let itself get sidelined by Novell and Microsoft..."

Wade, an old VINES boy from way back.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Banyan's marketing makes Novell's look good.
Among other things, they tried as hard as they could to make sure nobody was authorized to sell their products. I knew a couple of substantial Novell shops that tried to get Banyan authorized and gave up.

If you aren't allowed to touch the product, you sure as hell aren't going to promote it.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Yeah... I know.
They had a good product but badly fumbled the ball in selling and promoting it. They shouldn't have tried to take on Novell by alienating their dealers, but by having a better product.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Re: Yeah... I know.
but by having a better product.

Doesn't work.

I mean, SIMPLY having a better product.

Look at Novell Netware versus NT. NT's not yet even come close to the performance that Netware gives you. Yes, if you buy the BIGGEST HONKING BOX you can get your hands on, you might get by... But you don't need anywhere near that big a box for Netware.

Did it mean anything for Netware? Nope.

People ripped out NW 3.x (which for a feature set at least NT was at least comparable, if nowhere near in performance) and stuck in NT, sacrificing stablity and the mentioned performance, for the "benefit" of having "one server" (apps and file/print)... despite the fact that with any amount of users, you had to have *seperate* NT servers, *anyway*.

They ripped out NW 4.x, ignoring the benefits that NDS gave.

NW 5.0 hasn't done all that much - despite having a (I played with it, not seriously, I'm going on PR) real robust memory management system, and being suitable for app serving (which golly, by then didn't matter, cause you have seperate servers for that)...

Better, by itself, doesn't matter.

For several years, Linux has been able to do (IMO) anything that an NT server could - with less hardware, or faster on the same hardware. Has it made a real difference? Nope.

Oh, sure, some of us have put them up, small offices, etc... But have offices with lots of users ripped NT out and replaced?

Novell was done in by the Microsoft PR machine, and the lemming desires of PHB to have clones running the machines, etc. etc. etc. Grrrrrr.

No. I can't start that rant now. No No No..

Anyway.. :)

Addison
New NDS is more important these days
Directory Services are where the big battles are raging.

We're rolling out a directory-enabled network on our campus (we're a small technical college) and the initial decision to have AD/W2K do all the back-end heavy-lifting is looking worse and worse.

We have a heterogenous network (Various Windii, Linux, Solaris, Mac OS, OS X) and need to support everybody's desktop with file/print/authentication/DNS/DHCP/routing/etc. The more we look at AD, the more potential issues we're going to run into if we roll it out.

My current suggestion is to move Linux into most server roles (like classroom file/print/router) and use NDS/LDAP as our main directory service platforms. I'm shopping for a *NIX-based copy of NDS (renamed eDirectory) even as we speak.....

First Post! - (kelzer) - (8)
         Oh, we have an MS Shill - (drewk)
         In a way, maybe that's bad too. - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Don't misunderstand me - (kelzer)
         I can go one better. - (static) - (3)
             Banyan's marketing makes Novell's look good. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Yeah... I know. - (static) - (1)
                     Re: Yeah... I know. - (addison)
         NDS is more important these days - (tjsinclair)

Anytime I tell a client that "Oh no, those computers just change settings and delete things" instead of "You're a moron, and should be entrusted with nothing more complex than a crayon and an Etch-A-Sketch.", I'm lying.
150 ms