IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Running from the Taliban has to be similar enough to
running from the Nazis (if you happen not to be a believer in Their version of The OneTrueReligion).

The world doesn't seem to be handling refugees from oppression any more creatively now, than on Kristallnacht. I'd think that a century of illustrations about how Not to run a world would be enough, for any sentient species (?)

Just not ours, I guess..

Of course it isn't a simple matter, as you say - given all the national boundaries and such; and our preachings about 'all individuals having certain basic rights' is.. mostly for internal consumption and theoretical 'feel good' and all - but given the fate awaiting this particular batch, if they are returned - as the Jews to Nazi Germany:

I'd hardly call them 'queue jumpers'; I'd just call them desperate folk, perhaps about to be returned for execution. (At least I suppose that, fleeing an Official OneTrueReligion is therefore insulting to God - so it *must* be punishable by death) You can't put *any* words on paper, even Geneva paper: that will stop people from fleeing for their lives - y'know? Think about it.

Oh well. It is pretty crowded down there; center of the continent must have, what was it, 4/sq-mile? Bet they'd settle for a grub-stake of some shovels, tents and recipes for roo meat. Considering the alternative. (Hey.. Oz couldn't be more rugged country than Afghanistan. Ya don't have to give each one a Subaru and cable Tee Vee)

What've ya got to lose by giving them some outback You guys don't want anyway - except shame, perhaps?

A.
New Come visit some time.
The geography of the continent does not lend itself to just dumping them in the middle somewhere. Besides, that's not where they want to be. They want to be in the cities.

Regarding "queue-jumping"... if they have already applied for immigration permits to Australia, or refugee resettlement in Australia, then they are jumping the queue by bringing themselves here. In fact, even if they haven't or won't apply for such, coming here forces us to process their refugee claims ahead of those elsewhere who have applied. To make it fair, everyone needs to go through the same channels. These type of people are basically saying "we don't care about anyone else - let us in and let us in NOW!" This is at least as selfish - perhaps more so - as the Australian people telling them in return "No, go away, you're causing us problems."

I know these people may well be fleeing for their lives. Or some of them may be. Or perhaps they think they are but didn't hang around long enough to find out. But I also can't see anyone doing anything to stop the situation causing them to flee in the first place. All I can see is people fleeing to us and everyone else saying "They're going to you so you have to take them." Excuse me?

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Australia boards, takes over refugee boat to prevent docking - (addison) - (13)
         Another story, photo of deck, it gets worse. - (addison) - (12)
             I wonder. - (static) - (11)
                 Running from the Taliban has to be similar enough to - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Come visit some time. - (static)
                 Re: I wonder. - (addison) - (8)
                     I wondered how people in here would come down on it... - (static) - (7)
                         Re: I wondered how people in here would come down on it... - (addison) - (2)
                             Think of it as "we want to set our own immigration policy." - (static) - (1)
                                 "snarky" so does Israel (sorry couldnt resist) -NT - (boxley)
                         simple yer turn in the barrel - (boxley) - (3)
                             Hmm. Some links. - (static) - (2)
                                 Coincidentally, the first quote - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Like I said at the outset... - (static)

Surreptitious semblances scamper surrealistically, strewing scabrous solecisms, simpering sophistry - striving sententiously - still, scintillating serendipity seems South. Zymotic, yellowish xeroxed vellums unsatisfactorily trumpet simple rationales: querulous ponderings of nebulous musings. Let knaves justly invoke hoary genuflection, for early doth craven biliousness atrophy.
41 ms