IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sun tape drive
I recently 'inherited' a Sun E250 and am trying to bring it into service. It has a tape drive built in but as I have no documentation for this puppy, I'm not sure what type of drive it is.

I checked Sun's site and the E250 has a choice of several drive types available. This one definitely looks like an 8mm but even knowing that I still have to figure out which variety.

Is there any way to find this out from the command line or at boot during hardware detection? I've got the output of dmesg available and I've been poring over it to get the physcial specs of this box.

New What does the sticker say?
(After you take the cover off? :))

I don't know, actually. Mine are decent enough to be labelled on the outside, properly.

Does "mt" give it to you?

(my tape drives are listed in /dev/rmt)

mt -f /dev/rmt/1un status
Quantum DLT7000 tape drive:
sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0
file no= 52 block no= 0
New I'll try mt
In addition, I was reminded by a colleague that if I call Sun and give them the serial number of the unit, they'll tell me exactly what's on it.

My apologies for bringing up a relatively simple question like this, but it's been several years since I've administered one of these beasts. (Completely forgot about mt...<smacks hand to forehead repeatedly>)

Sun tape drive - (tjsinclair) - (2)
         What does the sticker say? - (addison) - (1)
             I'll try mt - (tjsinclair)

A base libel on toxic waste dumps everywhere.
35 ms