IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My way
I figure out a given time frame for a given solution plus 20% added time for estimate screwups(a number that over the years kinda works). I then manage the expectations of the requestor to expect a longer time frame than that for it to be done. Result is always on time and under budget. Example A mainframe group was expecting a 3 month rollout of jailed chrooted sftp. When I announced a 3 week rollout the manager was ecstatic(before the meeting I had already done the work knowing these folks were deliberately misled by a former employee on the dificulty) then after on week of nailing it down said lets change the JCL that moves stuff. The mainframer who was pretty bright said he could make the landing change pretty quick but wanted upper management to sign off. Upper management was ecstatic. The first rule of managing promises is managing client expections. Always offer at least 3 alternatives fairly thought out. Fastest, Safest and Cheapest with the drawbacks of each one clearly defined and get it in writing.
thanx,
bill
ya wannit done right or ya wannit now
poor people have poor ways of doing things(on the cheap, not bad, for the hignorant amongs ya)
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New Another approach
Although it will not always go over well, depending on the culture of the org, another approach is to simply ask them to rank features in order of importance, and then promise to implement them in that order (within reason). You can then perhaps give estimates for given stages, or even for each feature. That way if things fall behind, you at least tackle the major features first.
         My way - (boxley) - (1)
             Another approach - (tablizer)
         Never give them what they want - (tuberculosis)

Two words: meat helmet.
33 ms