IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The U.S. is also one of the world's largest oil producers.
>>GLASPIE: We have many Americans who would like to see the price go above $25 >>because they come from oil-producing states.

This is not incriminating at all.
The U.S. is actually one of the world's largest oil producers.
In the late 90's when prices dropped....over 50,000 people lost jobs as a direct result. Thousands of wells were shut down because they simply
were not profitable. (I'll provide evidence if asked for it....but I think this is pretty well known).

As for the rest of it......
if you tell your two squabbling neighbors that the argument is none of your business...but that you wish they would just settle their issues......
are you really encouraging one to go into the others house, ransack it and take whatever looks tasty?

-Mike

-- The truth is somewhere in between --
New evidence is WTF I ended up in florida
cheap oil ment 600+ IT people on the street when Arco and BP joined together. In a town of 265 thousand it couldnt be absorbed and is still hurting the IT folks there. $25-$31 per barrel is an ideal price for economic balance.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New Diplomatic political-speak - an art unto itself.

As for the rest of it......
if you tell your two squabbling neighbors that the argument is none of your business...but that you wish they would just settle their issues......are you really encouraging one to go into the others house, ransack it and take whatever looks tasty?

Well, if they are squabbling - would you state that you have no opinion on how they handle their disagreement?

Or would you state that you hope they bring it to a quick resolution, peacefully?

Diplomatic political-speak is an art unto itself.
New Yabbut
Mr. President, not only do I want to say that President Bush wanted better and deeper relations with Iraq, but he also wants an Iraqi contribution to peace and prosperity in the Middle East.

Frankly, we can see only that you have deployed massive troops in the south.
Normally that would not be any of our business. But when this happens in the context of what you said on your national day, then when we read the details in the two letters of the Foreign Minister, then
when we see the Iraqi point of view that the measures taken by the U.A.E. and Kuwait is, in the final analysis, parallel to military aggression against Iraq, then it would be reasonable for me to be concerned.

(I guess you could argue that by expressing concern over troops to the south
we gave an implication that shifting them west would be just fine by us....
but its a bit of a stretch.)

-Mike
New I keep forgetting not to read for content.
[Emphasis mine for the reading impaired and RW Apologists]

GLASPIE: But we have no opinion on the Arab-Arab conflicts, like your border disagreement with Kuwait.

I was in the American Embassy in Kuwait during the late 60's. The instruction we had during this period was that we should express no opinion on this issue and that the issue is not associated with America. James Baker has directed our official spokesmen to emphasize this instruction. We hope you can solve this problem using any suitable methods via Klibi or via President Mubarak. All that we hope is that these issues are solved quickly

In diplo-speak THAT IS AS CLEAR AS IT GETS.
New Its in the eye of the beholder
via Klibi or via President Mubarak

Interesting you left that deemphasised.

-Mike

New Some content for you.
[link|http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/saddam/interviews/aziz.html|PBS - An Interview With Tariq Aziz]

Question: Could you elaborate on the point about mixed signals sent by the U.S. during the run-up to the invasion of Kuwait? How did those influence your government's decision?

Tariq Aziz: There were no mixed signals. We should not forget that the whole period before August 2 witnessed a negative American policy towards Iraq. So it would be quite foolish to think that, if we go to Kuwait, then America would like that. Because the American tendency . . . was to untie Iraq. So how could we imagine that such a step was going to be appreciated by the Americans? It looks foolish, you see, this is fiction. About the meeting with April Glaspie--it was a routine meeting. There was nothing extraordinary in it. She didn't say anything extraordinary beyond what any professional diplomat would say without previous instructions from his government. She did not ask for an audience with the president. She was summoned by the president. He telephoned me and said, "Bring the American ambassador. I want to see her." She was not prepared, because it was not morning in Washington. People in Washington were asleep, so she needed a half-hour.... To contact anybody in Washington and seek instructions. So, what she said were routine, classical comments on what the president was asking her to convey to President Bush. He wanted her to carry a message to George Bush--not to receive a message through her from Washington.

-Mike

Can we put this to rest now? Does anybody still believe this crap?
New Interesting.
We need to attack Iraq because they aren't trustworthy. Except in your post. Is that about right?
New Stretch it any further and it'll break.
It was not, nor could it be construed as a green light to invade Kuwait.

No matter where you put your red or bold text.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Once more unto the ridiculous
So you think Aziz is lying in this interview but that Iraq does not lie
about its weapons programmes?
New To the Two Above
Keep goose-steppin'
New To the one above...
..call me when the alien mothership arrives.

New Why would he lie to a US Reporter?
Hmmmm, maybe, just perhaps he doesn't want to admit to how much influence the BNL/Atlanta bank loan scandal bought the US in Iraq. Yes, it is very difficult to image why an outwardly US hating regime would fail to admit US influence in its foreign policy. Why, that might mean you'd have to question the integrity of people like James Baker, G HW Bush, Reagan, Casey, Poindexter, etc. and God knows that'd be Un-American.
New What?
You're delusional now.

New No. I just don't drink your brand of Kool-Aid.
New Then maybe you can explain the above post?
In light of the fact that noone agrees (even the Iraqis) that those statements amounted to a green light for invasion.

New No one is two words.
Try here: [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=69528|Simon, who has more patience than I]
New My point is clear.
Your statement...and continued insistance that the US green-lighted the invastion of Kuwait...flys in the face of 1)the evidence (actual statements) and 2)all the parties involved.

You justify this by saying...the involved parties must be lying. (but they're telling the truth about everything else...right????)

Others here have read the statement and disagree with your assessment.

They, in your opinion, must be wrong.

Great.

All great conspiricy theories are born this way.

Why not start the definitive website on the subject?

New Just ask yourself, what rings true?
1. Iraq remains the only nation to be removed from the official list of "terror supporting states".
2. Iraq's economy was suffering from the declining price of oil. Iraq chose to blame Kuwait's production in excess of agreed to limits. We said, officially, it's none of our business.
3. Down oil prices mean less money for the Texas oil billionaires of which the Bushs' are members.
4. Almost up to the point we went to war, the Bush Admin was lobbying (indeed subverting) Congress and others to continue to support Iraq and Saddam. Hell, there were directives signed to extend their credit for Christ's sake.
5. Glaspie's meeting with the Hussein.

Ask yourself, up until the Kuwaiti invasion, were we not "on the same page" officially w/Saddam? Wasn't that the directive of Baker? Wasn't that what Glaspie said? Then, Saddam invades Kuwait. Suddenly, he's back on the terrorist list. Suddenly the fact that he used mustard gas on the Kurds is now "relevant".

Suddenly, it is in keeping with the American Tradition to restore feudalism to the Middle East.

Then ask yourself if you think its any co-incidence that in 2002 our hand-picked successor to Saddam is already engaged in negotiations with US oil firms to replace the Russian oil firms presently pumping oil out of Iraq.

This is all, I suppose, mere coincidence, all just a "consipiracy theorists rantings". Sit and watch how fast Dubya and Dickey's buddies move into Iraq after the war, after we "gid rid of Saddam". Then tell me all this stuff is the stuff of fiction.
New If thats is all the case...
..then why is Aziz not telling the truth about it?

He states emphatically that they did not consider her statements a "green light" to invade.

In the current situation, Iraq has spent alot of time and effort countering US "aggressiveness" in the worldwide media in order to discredit our government and our position wrt the current regime.

If your position were true there would be no reason for Aziz to lie...and every reason for him to come forward with the story you present.

So, quite frankly, your position does >not< ring true. Stringing all of this "evidence" together makes a great conspiricy theory...but Iraq is currently trying (very hard) to discredit our government...and if your initial premise is true...they would only need that one item to accomplish their objective...yet it is denied.

New Exactly! Well said.
New Re: makes a great conspiricy theory
I suppose to a real live grown up member of the Reagan Youth, that's all it is. Or, it might seem that way too if you've smoked yourself some really bad crack.
New Maybe if I were one or had...
...but your translation of reality seems to fall into the "bad trip" realm.

You want so badly for it to be true...

Truth suffers as a consequence.

New Ask yourself......
...why after pulling off such magnificent manipulation...
did we then stop at the Iraqi border?
Does it really ring true that we would go to all that trouble
and not even get our hands on all that luuuuuverly oil?
New C'mon now...
...they obviously had Nancy's soothsayer to tell them that "son of Bush" would come along and finally finish the objective.

All the facts point to it.

And to think that we fooled the Saudis and all the other coalition members into believing that Saddam did it all...when it was really the US that told Saddam to invade.

And we've even been able to keep it a secret right up until mmoffitt discovered the real truth.

New Ahhhhhhhhhhh.........clarity at last
New Unless we weren't after the oil....
I've often thought we were after the Bull Supergun. We got that, btw.
Expand Edited by Simon_Jester Dec. 19, 2002, 08:03:23 AM EST
New So.....the gulf war
wasn't about "freeing" Kuwait.
wasn't about oil.
.....it was about weapons!

I think the strategic importance of oil deserves to be in the mix
somewhere...but I'll run with your suggestion for a moment.

If we were sufficiently concerned to go to war over his weapons back THEN...
seems his weapons TODAY might provide a similar concern.
Yes?

-Mike

New Chuckle...sure
except, back then, we claimed it was because Saddam agressively invaded Kuwait.

It had nothing to do with weapons back been.

So, if you notice the pattern, what we say (to the public) it's going to be about is unlikely to be what the war is really going to be about. :-)
New Hmmm...
...so confused...\r\n\r\nKeep getting told its all about the oil....\r\n\r\nnow its not all about the oil...\r\n\r\nreboot.
\r\n[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Okay, Beep. You tell me. Why do we need to attack Iraq?
New Well I've been told...
...its all about the oil.

Why should I ever question such popular wisdom?

Never mind the minor little details of years of ignoring UN mandates, persuing and obtaining biological and chemical agents for weapons use, flaunting the UN again by omitting things that inspectors already knew were there...etc...

And as for oil...do we want it expensive so all the fat texas cats will be happy...or do we want it cheap so the economy goes boom? Never really heard anything but "its about oil"..some saying we want cheap...others saying we want expensive...its just all so confusing....

Personally...I don't think we need to attack Iraq at all...I'd like to see us drill and exploit ANWR and Green River, strike a deal with the Russians to help them tap their own reserves (for a vig) and walk away from the middle east all together. Just so you don't think me anti-conservation...I also support raising the price of gas (through taxes) to about $4 a gallon...and using those taxes to build and support a public transportation system. While this is a somewhat different view than my traditional (get the f*** outta my way) Libby underpinnings...I do feel that one key responsibility of government is to provide affordable transportation and mobility to its people...and having lived in Europe and seen what high gas prices can do as a behavior modifier and supplement to public transport...well lets just say that I support that endeavor.

As for the Arab world...they don't like us???...well f***'em if they can't take a joke.

Simple really.

New I like your solution to the energy (oil) problem.
But I would use *some* of the gasoline tax money for treating pollution related health problems. The oil industry is getting a free ride in that area. Pay for the consequences, I say.

Ashton will be pleased about the side effect on UAVs (that's Urban Assault Vehicles for newcomers).
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Dec. 19, 2002, 08:15:37 PM EST
New Mea Culpa syndrome...
...you say the industry gets a free ride...which I think is kind of ironic in that most of the serious ailments are auto emission related. The oil companies go get it...we burn it and then expect them to pay because its bad for us?

Not quite with you there.

The side effect on UAV's are drastic. I can't remember ever seeing one in Europe outside of military vehicles.

New The free ride comes from the larger sales they enjoy.
The consumption of oil/gasoline would be considerably reduced if it was properly taxed. And there is also the possibility of competition from alternative energy sources that might be taxed (if at all) differently.

But you are right, ultimately it is we the consumers that pay. The problem is that, at present, we do not pay in proportion to the harm we cause.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New Thats it all over
The problem is that, at present, we do not pay in proportion to the harm we cause.

That may be one of the most sensible things I've seen posted in a while.

The problem that I have is that, instead of us recognizing this..we spend all of our time blaming the businesses that give us the fix...

And when we talk about the failed "war on drugs"...we say it can never be successful because where there is demand there will always be supply...so attacking supply is destined to fail...yet here it seems to be the easy solution...blame the corp...make them pay.

We...the people...are the #1 polluters. Corporations get the press...and the movie coverage...but we are vastly more dangerous to ourselves than those "greedy corporate bastards".

But what do I know...I'm in bed with big bizness---dontcha know ;-) Right Ash?

New Wow, Beep - in non-Market mode, eh?
I mean - here's a whole thread in which you aren't just poseuring as the Corp/Devils advocate!

Ackshully - I can't think of much to argue about in this thread :-)
[Admin: Move thread to Sane Forum, please]

I think I'll reserve my area of disagreement to the same old one, and for another venue. Will agree that 'blaming the Corp for providing what We were conditioned to *Want*' is as lame as you say. Pogo Lives: we have met the enemy and -

Another time:
Obv my perennial rant concerns the naive laissez faire of the most basic and expected kinds of scams ever perpetrated by the terminally greedy - demanding accountability and appropriate *enforced* punishment of offenders. (Corporate? throw in AMA too, re nonaccountability, non-protection from repeat butchers in the club)

The 'accountability' can never occur until there is reform of the basic rules, er Charter: removing the clause bestowing 'Individual Citizenship' upon a complex collection of devious homo-saps (like the rest of us). "Free Speech via bribing congressfolk" indeed..

So along with Corp Charter revision must come campaign reform, the taking-back of the citizens' airwaves to the extent that: those who profit massively from these: release at low cost, suitable [=debated] air time as befits our paranoid style of political blab. Take the bribery $$ out of the Speech-dope selling.

Both of these are Political / Governmental problems: should Corporate be blamed for behaving as outrageously as they can almost-legally get away with? Legally perhaps No. Actually: Yes, of course. Nasty manipulation is still nasty manipulation. (Let's not do Fred Rodell's immortal description of 'the law' right here, too. Either.)

Somewhere in the New practical rules must also lie some disincentives to pay *anyone* 1000x the wage of the new-hire, obviously - presumably via Tax Rules, a part of the other reforms -- you know, like pre-Ronnie days?

We can do the .. How does Corporate suck? It sucks beyond the ends of being and ideal grace .. to the depth and breadth and height A CIEIO can manipulate .. another time.

Cheers,
I.
er.. watch that Slippery rung, just after the key to the exec john :-\ufffd
When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
New Damn...that was close ;-)
I almost was forced to agree with you 100%. :-)

It needs to be an exersize of >freedom< that changes this system. IMO, it is up to "we the people" to take back what is rightfully ours. I do not blame the CIEIO for acting in the best interest of his/her constituents. (congresscritter, however...there is another story...because by allowing CIEIO to influence...he is generally >not< acting in the best interest of his/hers)

If we deem CEO pay unacceptable, ensure that it is lowered by acting upon it.

Same with Hollywood.

Same with Sports.

Won't ever be able to fix CEO pay with ARod making 120 gazillion and a share of the team.

Won't have it when you pay Denzel and John T 20+ million a film.

I personally don't have any problem with high pay...as long as it has a basis in value (something that was severely lacking in the dot-bomb era). Jack Welch, on the other hand, turned GE from light bulb failure to manufacturing powerhouse...in the end...to the stockholders..he was probably worth every penny. I >really< don't like it when you decide what your own pay scale should be (Congress)...pay raises to Congress should be >voted< into place.

Taking away the ability to get stinky rich is to tarnish the American Dream (tm).

Still trying to aquire that key ;-p
New 2 problems
Strongest first;
..expect them to pay..
How do you interpret taking some of the TAX money collected and distributing it to health concerns, or any other concern for that matter, as making the oil companies pay dime one?

And then;
The oil companies go get it...we burn it"
Naivete isn't a good color for you Beep. Oil/auto is the reason this country doesn't have effective mass transit. Simply, there is more short-term profit in keeping cars on the road than there is in supplying the needs of trains/buses/trolleys, etc. The demand for gas is not just a consumer driven phenomenon.

I hope you'll respond to both problems. The second is presented weakly, but I think I can defend it.
Why should we ask our military to die for cheap oil when the rest of us aren't even being asked to get better mileage?
-[link|http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=14107|Molly Ivins]
New Re: 2 problems
First issue. I don't. Taking money from corporations is just another sales tax. Net effect is a wash...and the consumer doesn't >recognize< the component of price.

Besides...I thought I was pretty clear when I said I don't expect them to >have< to pay for something that >we< do.

2nd point. I thought I was also relatively clear here. Mass transit is a government responsibility. Oil/auto is a convenient cop-out for what I consider to be one of our government's most amazing failures.

The demand for gas is almost entirely a consumer driven phenomenon...and while we all know its environmentally unsound..we fail to support initiatives that change the status quo. Quite simply..raising the tax on gasoline to those levels will achieve the desired outcome.

Again...you can blame the drug user or the supplier...which one creates the demand?

I pull the trigger...but its S&W's fault the guy is dead?

Chances are slim to none that we are going to agree if your premise is to blame Ford for the failures of mass transit.

New Okay
First issue-
We agree then that using tax revenues to pay for health problems caused by the taxed item does not equate to making the provider of the unhealthy, taxed item pay for them. Good. I agree BTW with taxing the hell out of gasoline. Get it up to 4 or 5 dollars a gallon.

Second-
I still think you are being a little naive. Consumer demand for oil is not a simple "buyer" driven demand. [link|http://www.trainweb.org/mts/ctc/ctc06.html|GM's] destruction of [link|http://www.verdant.net/natlcity.htm|trolley] lines is a case in point.
Why should we ask our military to die for cheap oil when the rest of us aren't even being asked to get better mileage?
New There is no naivite involved.
I know the GM story.

It should have never been allowed.

Again...back to my premise...Mass Transit is a government reponsibility. GM can't form a consortium to buy the [link|http://www.screamingeagle.org/|101st Airborne], right?

My point is that they've failed at this just as miserably as they have failed in so many other areas.

New Let me restate
My reference to mass transit being torpedoed by GM et al, was a illustration of a larger point. I am not trying to blame GM/Shell/Goodyear for the failures of mass transit. That is not the point I am pursuing. The consumer demand for oil has been manipulated by those who profit from that demand. The blame is shared. The dealer/user metaphor is not accurate. The consumer is not standing alone in this.
New And we (the people) are the ones that allowed it.
It was all legal. Granted it may have been "sneaky" or "underhanded"...but it was all legal.

And again...making >them< pay does absolutely nothing except extend the amount of time that it takes for us to pay.

Taxing corporations for something that they will immediately pass through on price is an irrelevance.

Fool me once, shame on you...fool me for >years<....shame on me.

New Yeah. Right.
It was all legal.
And you say you aren't naive.
New Well...let me clarify...
...because risk/reward is involved.

They may have cracked a minor law or 2 in the process..but..even in 1930 standards...being levied a fine of $5000 makes the law irrelevent. Cheaper to pay the fine than to fix the problem.

None of this discussion really even makes sense in the context of my point. None of that should have been possible. The simple fact that is >was< possible verifies the failure that I've pointed out.

And..complicit or not...fining oil companies is no different than taxing us directly. >We< pay.

New No, a specific *subset* of "we" pay
And..complicit or not...fining oil companies is no different than taxing us directly. >We< pay.

But "we" would pay in proportion to how much we use it. If you want (or need) to drive something that gets 12 mpg, and I can get by on something that gets 36 mpg, doesn't it seem fair that you should pay a three-times-larger share of the costs? Three times as much for the roads, three times as much for the health costs, three times as much for every cost involved in over-the-road transportation.

I would think you would be in favor of costs being borne, to the extent possible, by those responsible for them.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Whcih is why..
...I say just tax the gas.

New I ... thought that was the original idea
But don't feel like re-reading the whole thread.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Neither do I ;-)

New we have way too much mass for effective transit
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New Wrong.
But we have too much infrastructure built up without any thought given to mass transit.

Our cities would have to be heavily rebuilt to accomodate the hubs and routes needed.
New certainly we could all huddle in a mass at government
controlled checkpoints or we could live in america.
thanx,
bill

New Re: Checkpoints.
Hell, we're gonna do that already. Or don't you think the boys at the new Gestapo Homeland Security Office are thinking that up?
New I'm sorry, I got distracted there for a second...
Never mind the minor little details of years of ignoring UN mandates, persuing and obtaining biological and chemical agents for weapons use, flaunting the UN again by omitting things that inspectors already knew were there...etc...

I'm afraid I'm lost...were you talking about North Korea? Pakistan? India?

Oh, you were talking about Iraq. OK..I'm back on track....please continue....
jb4
"They lead. They don't manage. The carrot always wins over the stick. Ask your horse. You can lead your horse to water, but you can't manage him to drink."
Richard Kerr, United Technologies Corporation, 1990
New Methinks you're still distracted.
Otherwise your post might have had a shot at making sense ;-)

New Which war?
I don't think I ever claimed that original Iraq War (Desert Storm/Desert Shield) was about oil.

I might have claimed that we told Iraq to go ahead with the attack - but even then, how could that war be about oil? Weren't we getting large discounts on the price of oil at the time?

Now, this time around....I'm just not sure yet. ;-)
New No silly.
The war is about the faked moon landings which
were dreamt up to induce Russia to invade Afghanistan
and generate a band of disillusioned hoodlums who
would destroy the WTC so that we could get everyone
fearful and justify an attack on Iraq which would provide
an opportunity to destroy the Ethiopean space program
which everyone knows was funding North Koreas initiative to
spread buck teeth throughout the cast of the musical
"Annie" in the hope that they would use their enormous incisors
to chew a hole in the ozone layer....thereby causing global
warming, the polar ice caps to melt and sea levels to rise
causing a flood of the Netherlands and leave the Dutch no alternative
but to colonise the entire middle east and then trade all their oil
for Pepperidge Farm goldifsh.

And...<cough>......whose bong is this?
New *cough*...mine....
...Oh...I get it...so your saying its all the Jew's fault ;-)

New How faked moon landings led to cheesy goldfish ;-)
Sounds like a candidate for a future Connections episode!

Brian Bronson
New :-)
New Don't waste your time.
The statements made at the time are public record.

The actions taken that were based upon those statements are public record.

Now it becomes convenient for certain individuals to "believe" what other individuals now say is the "truth" (despite those other individuals being less than trustworthy on any other occasion).

Sad, really. But some people need to live like that.

It's almost funny when you look at it from outside.

Pure semantic games.
New Mea Culpa.
I get so wound up sometimes I forget... Thanks for reminding me of the futility of trying to convert "true believers".
New Alas, even my link doesn't show
that we gave Saddam a green light. Rather it (attempts) to show that we really never gave them a red light.

It's most presuasive argument, however, isn't the color of the lights, but rather than the US expected Saddam to invade. (Iraq a damn good reason to invade, we knew troops were on the border, etc.) It also seems to argue that, irrespective of what the CIA was telling Congress, Kuwait seemed to think we'd come to their aid if they invaded.

As someone's tag line states: The truth is somewhere in between.
Expand Edited by Simon_Jester Dec. 18, 2002, 03:09:59 PM EST
New That is a matter of perspective.
And, admittedly, when it comes to Bush/Reagan/Bush II, et. al. mine may be a little jaded. However, I think there is a very strong argument that by "not giving a red light" we gave the "green light".
New Ditto.
We knew Iraq would attack if we didn't tell them not to.

We didn't tell them not to attack.

So they attacked.

True, we didn't tell them to attack, they just checked with us first to see if we had any objections to them attacking. We told them we didn't and they attacked.

Anything else is semantic bull shit.
New Not even close.
But your statement still applies.

Nothing in the record shows anything other than a diplomat saying "we have no interest".

It's obvious to everyone that is only a "codeword" for "invade".[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]

Expand Edited by bepatient Dec. 18, 2002, 05:00:01 PM EST
Expand Edited by bepatient Dec. 18, 2002, 09:48:03 PM EST
New I think.....
....this represents a shift from the "we suckered them into an invasion
so we could kick the crap out of them" theme at the beginning of this thread.

I think you can make a case that the State Department did a shit job
of sending a clear unambiguous message about our position.

But the contention that we gave Iraq no signals that we would respond
aggressively? Sorry I think that's wrong.

"The Bush administration yesterday called for a diplomatic solution to the Persian Gulf crisis, warned Iraq against "coercion and intimidation," and ordered U.S. forces in the gulf on an emergency training exercise that officials said is meant as a response to the military buildup on the Iraqi-Kuwaiti border."

Patrick E. Tyler - Washington Post
July 25, 1990*

-Mike

*You'll have to pay to view the archives.
New There were lots of signals....
There were lots of signals...

Specifically, we didn't tell them that we would attack if he attacked Kuwait. That's because, as far as we can tell, it was our official position. (Which may or may not have been what Saddam was asking when he originally summoned Glaspie)

31 July: Kelly told Congress: "We have no defense treaty relationship with any Gulf country. That is clear. ... We have historically avoided taking a position on border disputes or on internal OPEC deliberations."

Rep. Lee Hamilton asked if it would be correct to say that if Iraq "charged across the border into Kuwait" the United States did "not have a treaty commitment which would obligate us to engage U.S. forces" there.

"That is correct," Kelly responded.{16}
[link|http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Blum/Iraq_KH.html| source ]

Certainly we didn't do all we could have to avoid a war.

And if that was our goal - then our State department did a fine job.
New Oh my......
Here is what was said between Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs John H. Kelly, and Representative Lee Hamilton:

Hamilton: If Iraq, for example, charged across the border into Kuwait, for whatever reason, what would be our position with regard to the use of US forces?

Kelly: That, Mr. Chairman, is a hypothetical or a contingency, the kind of which I can't get into. Suffice it to say we would be extremely concerned, but I cannot get into the realm of "what if" answers.

THEN.....

Hamilton: In that circumstance, it is correct to say, however, that we do not have a treaty commitment which would obligate us to engage US forces?

Kelly: That is correct.

And this, THIS.....counts for "evidence" of our official position?
New I did state - as far as we can tell....
because that's what we were telling our own Congressmen and we've never admitted to having an official agreement with Kuwait that stated that we would assist them if Iraq invaded.

However, Kuwait seemed to think so, as one of their leaders bragged that if Iraq came after them they'd send in the Americans.

Also, Iraq produced after the invasion a document from the CIA that stated (to the effect) that we would offer Kuwait protection from Iraq. (The CIA denies that this is an official document and that no agreement existed - but then again, we run back into the problems with Iraq creating a forgery, if it wanted to create a forgery, wouldn't it have said something far worse?)

And - Bush's final communication to Iraq prior to the invasion did state that the US was concerned - but did not mention Kuwait and did not mention that America would attack.
New Yes
>>However, Kuwait seemed to think so, as one of their leaders bragged that if
>>Iraq came after them they'd send in the Americans.
.....yes! And this much is also acknowledged by Tariq Aziz in his frontline
interview. He even goes further.....he says Iraq were convinced that the U.S.A
were actually supporting Kuwait in their economic warfare.

New Which goes back to my original question....
What were you saying about it being wrong to ransack your neighbors house?
New I gerfot......
...remind me?
New Re: Debating Trees when discussion is about forests ...

I find that Mike argues deeply at the detail level whilst ignoring the macro or high level.

My this I mean he is quite good at talking about trees but too often the others in the debate are discussing forests. If you push him at the macro level, and that involes challenging US policy and behind the scenes US manipulation, he accuses you of being a conspiracy theorist, ie if the topic isn't documented somewhere in detail (barring heated debates about the meaning of words) then you are a conspiratist - doesn't seem able or willing to debate actions and there consequences as evidence of intention & deed.

e.g. If we argue that Bush Snr & his admin *blatantly* manipulated the situation in Iraq/Iran/Kuwait *particularly* from 1980 to 1991
1) 1st to contain Iran - achieved by covertly supplying war materials & loans to Iraq
2) to then contain Iraq - by helping Iran, by encouraging Kuwait & Saudi to demand repayment for war loans at a time when Iraq's oil infrastructure was wreaked
3) by then encouraging Hussien to invake Kuwait so he could be isoltaed & villanized in the Arab world

Why do all these things. One has to do a little bit of deduction & reading ...

(Per FORBES magazine August 2002 page 23) Iraq is believed to have even greater reserves of oil than Saudi Arabia (but after what US did by manipulating Iraq over the Iran war, Iraq had no desire to deal with US companies - DSM). So Russia's Lukoil consortium had signed a deal with Iraq to develop the massive West Quarna field (est 8 billion barrels) & China's China National Petroleum had signed with Iraq to develop a smaller field. No western (US) based companies were making any progress in negotiating further exploration & development with Iraq (for plainly obvious reasons) - Last week (under war threat from US) Iraq cancelled the Russian deal.

To avoid another potentially ugly & sematic war with Mike over the above - I will let the reader draw their *own* conclusions as to why US is really threatening Iraq and demonizing Saddam.

But come back to the original point about describing the trees when often the discussion is about forests.

Doug Marker
New How many incidents are needed?
There's Saddam talking to April.

There's Kelly addressing Congress.

Now, take just those two incidents and compare them with Bush's speeches after the invasion.

Prior to the invasion, we're talking about not getting involved in border disputes and so forth.

After the invasion, Bush was very clear about how he felt about it.

Where was the very clearly stated position PRIOR to the invasion? Why were we only able to articulate it AFTER the invasion?

Our own people were asking what our position was prior to the invasion and the administration wouldn't give a clear answer.

Does anyone have any doubt that the current Bush would have trouble articulating our reaction to a "what if Iraq invaded country X" scenario?

But his daddy couldn't do that?
New An angle on the times: HBO "Live from Baghdad"
re the events just before and during the bombing. This from perspectiveof the folks that showed the real-time events, from CNN. Can't ever be sure that the conversations depict events unslanted natch, but the dialogue is articulate enough - and Saddam's warts and.. viewpoint are given ~ 'equal time'.

Friend had a tape of this. It doesn't pursue the angle of 'false diplomatic stage-setting', but the man playing a high Iraqi official (and today is even Higher) is acted by David Suchet, perhaps the best Poirot of all time.
His performance alone, makes this a Must See IMhO.

Decidedly better quality a presentation than typ Hollywood dreck.

Ashton
When the rich assemble to concern themselves with the business of the poor, it is called Charity. When the poor assemble to concern themselves with the business of the rich, it is called Anarchy.

-Paul Richards
New Oh come on...quote it right
if you're going to quote it.

Frankly, we can see only that you have deployed massive troops in the south.
Normally that would not be any of our business. But when this happens in the context of what you said on your national day, then when we read the details in the two letters of the Foreign Minister, then when we see the Iraqi point of view that the measures taken by the U.A.E. and Kuwait is, in the final analysis, parallel to military aggression against Iraq, then it would be reasonable for me to be concerned.

Finish it...

And for this reason, I received an instruction to ask you, in the spirit of friendship -- not in the spirit of confrontation -- regarding your intentions.

And the reply...

We are not aggressors but we do not accept aggression either. We sent them envoys and handwritten letters. We tried everything. We asked the Servant of the Two Shrines -- King Fahd -- to hold a four-member summit, but he suggested a meeting between the Oil Ministers. We agreed. And as you know, the meeting took place in Jidda. They reached an agreement which did not express what we wanted, but we agreed.

Only two days after the meeting, the Kuwaiti Oil Minister made a statement that contradicted the agreement. We also discussed the issue during the Baghdad summit. I told the Arab Kings and Presidents that some brothers are fighting an economic war against us. And that not all wars use weapons and we regard this kind of war as a military action against us. Because if the capability of our army is lowered then, if Iran renewed the war, it could achieve goals which it could not achieve before. And if we lowered the standard of our defenses, then this could encourage Israel to attack us. I said that before the Arab Kings and Presidents. Only I did not mention Kuwait and U.A.E. by name, because they were my guests.

Um, what was it you were saying about it being acceptable to ransack your neighbors house?
     All over in a week? - (marlowe) - (91)
         This kind of excrement is why so much of the world hates us. - (mmoffitt) - (87)
             Man you guys are good. - (bepatient)
             Holy crap, you know how to pick your sources - (marlowe) - (4)
                 Ummm.... - (folkert)
                 Re: Classic Marlowe crap - (dmarker) - (1)
                     But the link responded to ... - (bepatient)
                 Better that than knowing how to pick your noses... - (admin)
             Where's the encouragement? - (ChrisR)
             The U.S. is also one of the world's largest oil producers. - (Mike) - (77)
                 evidence is WTF I ended up in florida - (boxley)
                 Diplomatic political-speak - an art unto itself. - (Simon_Jester) - (75)
                     Yabbut - (Mike) - (74)
                         I keep forgetting not to read for content. - (mmoffitt) - (72)
                             Its in the eye of the beholder - (Mike)
                             Some content for you. - (Mike) - (70)
                                 Interesting. - (mmoffitt) - (69)
                                     Stretch it any further and it'll break. - (bepatient)
                                     Once more unto the ridiculous - (Mike)
                                     To the Two Above - (mmoffitt) - (66)
                                         To the one above... - (bepatient) - (65)
                                             Why would he lie to a US Reporter? - (mmoffitt) - (64)
                                                 What? - (bepatient) - (63)
                                                     No. I just don't drink your brand of Kool-Aid. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (62)
                                                         Then maybe you can explain the above post? - (bepatient) - (61)
                                                             No one is two words. - (mmoffitt) - (60)
                                                                 My point is clear. - (bepatient) - (43)
                                                                     Just ask yourself, what rings true? - (mmoffitt) - (42)
                                                                         If thats is all the case... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                             Exactly! Well said. -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Re: makes a great conspiricy theory - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Maybe if I were one or had... - (bepatient)
                                                                         Ask yourself...... - (Mike) - (37)
                                                                             C'mon now... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                 Ahhhhhhhhhhh.........clarity at last -NT - (Mike)
                                                                             Unless we weren't after the oil.... - (Simon_Jester) - (34)
                                                                                 So.....the gulf war - (Mike) - (1)
                                                                                     Chuckle...sure - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                 Hmmm... - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                                                     Okay, Beep. You tell me. Why do we need to attack Iraq? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                                                                         Well I've been told... - (bepatient) - (24)
                                                                                             I like your solution to the energy (oil) problem. - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                                                                                                 Mea Culpa syndrome... - (bepatient) - (20)
                                                                                                     The free ride comes from the larger sales they enjoy. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                                                                                         Thats it all over - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                             Wow, Beep - in non-Market mode, eh? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                                 Damn...that was close ;-) - (bepatient)
                                                                                                     2 problems - (Silverlock) - (15)
                                                                                                         Re: 2 problems - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                             Okay - (Silverlock) - (9)
                                                                                                                 There is no naivite involved. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                                     Let me restate - (Silverlock) - (7)
                                                                                                                         And we (the people) are the ones that allowed it. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                                             Yeah. Right. - (Silverlock) - (5)
                                                                                                                                 Well...let me clarify... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                                                     No, a specific *subset* of "we" pay - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         Whcih is why.. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             I ... thought that was the original idea - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                 Neither do I ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                                         we have way too much mass for effective transit -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                                             Wrong. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                                                 certainly we could all huddle in a mass at government - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Re: Checkpoints. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                             I'm sorry, I got distracted there for a second... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                                                 Methinks you're still distracted. - (bepatient)
                                                                                     Which war? - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                     No silly. - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                         *cough*...mine.... - (bepatient)
                                                                                         How faked moon landings led to cheesy goldfish ;-) - (bbronson) - (1)
                                                                                             :-) -NT - (Mike)
                                                                 Don't waste your time. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                     Mea Culpa. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                 Alas, even my link doesn't show - (Simon_Jester) - (13)
                                                                     That is a matter of perspective. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                                                         Ditto. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                             Not even close. - (bepatient)
                                                                         I think..... - (Mike) - (9)
                                                                             There were lots of signals.... - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                                                                                 Oh my...... - (Mike) - (5)
                                                                                     I did state - as far as we can tell.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                                                                                         Yes - (Mike) - (3)
                                                                                             Which goes back to my original question.... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                                                                                 I gerfot...... - (Mike)
                                                                                                 Re: Debating Trees when discussion is about forests ... - (dmarker)
                                                                                 How many incidents are needed? - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                     An angle on the times: HBO "Live from Baghdad" - (Ashton)
                         Oh come on...quote it right - (Simon_Jester)
             You might want to do more research... - (Simon_Jester)
             Did you see the tape of W (fis and pere) kissing Enron ass? -NT - (deSitter)
         "might be"? - (Brandioch) - (2)
             Not American tank comapny - (Arkadiy)
             Have nominated Marlowe as ... - (dmarker)

Whenever someone says, "Show, don't tell," aren't they violating that exact rule?
238 ms