IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Installation problems and hardware glitches
orion wrote:

Normal install, formats and partitions correctly, tries to probe the monitor and vide card, and then says "Unknown Monitor" and "Unknown Video Card" and then displays some graphic garbage and then displays the words "Abnormal Error" on a blank screen except with a command prompt.

1. I wrote: "If you want help, please be specific." You're now talking about a video problem, and yet you aren't posting information about your video hardware. Conclusion: You aren't yet serious about getting help.

My best guess based on your earlier non-description was that there was a hard drive problem. It now turns out that my stab-in-the-dark guess was wrong, and my effort writing all that lengthy analysis was wasted. Oh well: I can't get that time and effort back, but I can avoid making the same mistake twice.

2. If my video hardware were giving Linux installers a hard time, I'd do a text-mode installation first, and then work on getting X11 running after installation had otherwise completed successfully, as a separate problem. E.g., if using the Red Hat Linux installation disks, type "text" at the CD's boot prompt instead of just pressing the Enter key.

As to how to get help with your X11 problem, post-installation, (a) get serious, and (b) move to a more-appropriate forum.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New Try text-mode install?
That might give hime more to 'report'.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
Expand Edited by imric Dec. 15, 2002, 10:25:28 PM EST
New Echo effect
imric wrote:

Try text-mode install?

Immediately after I wrote:

If my video hardware were giving Linux installers a hard time, I'd do a text-mode installation first.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New *chuckle*
*chuckle* *chuckle* *chuckle*...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
     Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0 security - (orion) - (12)
         Here's the deal. - (pwhysall) - (4)
             But there is third party softare for Windows 2000 - (orion) - (3)
                 Re: But there is third party softare for Windows 2000 - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Second the box, and another possibility - (Steve Lowe)
                     Re: But there is third party softare for Windows 2000 - (deSitter)
         Re: Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0 security - (orion) - (6)
             Installation problems and hardware glitches - (rickmoen) - (5)
                 Re: Installation problems and hardware glitches - (orion) - (4)
                     Re: Installation problems and hardware glitches - (rickmoen) - (3)
                         Try text-mode install? - (imric) - (2)
                             Echo effect - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                 *chuckle* - (imric)

Learn to swim.
44 ms