IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thoughts on being a dad at 2 years
~3 years ago, my wife Cathy and I stopped preventing. I got laid off a shit job(wanted to be laid off, got severance, job market was still booming). Cathy woke me up by sticking this white stick in my face that had 2 blue lines.

WEnt to doctor, they did the _expensive_ preg test, was positive. First Daddy moment: the nurse was just matter of factly explaining what will happen in the next 2 weeks or so, and schedule this, and consider that, and I wanted to grab her shoulders and shake her and yell in her face, "DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? SHE'S PREGNANT! This is SERIOUS!" Over thai wraps at the Mercado in Santa Clara, we discussed whether or not I should teach the class that I'd contracted that night, or if I should call in wife-pregnant. Could happen any time you know, and 9 months is so short, right?

Constant theme of first-time parent: It sucks that there is still pollution, and my relatives aren't all here, and people still don't know how to merge. I've noticed that it takes a special kind of asshole to leave a broken beer bottle on a playground, or a cigarette butt in the sand by the swings.

Original plan was Cathy take maternity leave for 6 months while I work, then I take 6 months while she works, then evaluate.

Second theme of first-time parent: The medical establishment is fantastic if you're bleeding or in 2 pieces or broken. They're also fairly good at dispensing the dope-of-the-week for depression, like the kind that they think you must have if you say your baby is colliky at 10 months because everybody knows that collic ends in {3|6|9} months. They're not so good with colicky babies. Rowan was colicy for 11 months, which ended up being reflux that responded to 3 days of Zantac.

During colic phase, dot bomb happened, and I'm a bit of a database programmer and a bit of an ASP programmer (never quite made the leap to OSS, kept turning the same crank...'nother topic).

Cathy's company shrunk and cut pay. Cathy got a contract with Microsoft. We moved to Seattle. I've learned some utterly fascinating things about Microsoft since being here.

1 year olds are great. 2 year olds are better. I think the phrase "terrible 2s" is because a)parents try to maintain a tight schedule with a 2-year old, which is tough b)the 2-year old isn't so bad, but the 2-year-old in addition to the newborn is very bad c)parents expect a 2 year old to act like a 3 or 4 year old (very different beasts).

I"m half-heartedly thinking about preparing to study the possibility of evaluating a potential job search. I don't really want to go back to work though. I've done great things being a dad, and done great things making our home (note: homemaker!=maid, it's a honorable vocation IMO). But my baby girl is in day care once a week, and even though I used to beat myself up with things like, "What's more important than your kid today?" I got over that particular mindfuck, and Rowan loves day care. She needs the contact with other kids; the 1-on-1 that a baby needs is not appropriate or healthy for a toddler.

Does this ring true for anybody?

FAQ! We're scrod!
New Before you mentioned it...knew it was a girl. How?
1 year olds are great. 2 year olds are better. I think the phrase "terrible 2s" is because a)parents try to maintain a tight schedule with a 2-year old, which is tough b)the 2-year old isn't so bad, but the 2-year-old in addition to the newborn is very bad c)parents expect a 2 year old to act like a 3 or 4 year old (very different beasts).

I thought this too. Then we had a boy. Now we understand what "terrible 2 through 5 and counting" is ;-)
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New That's interesting
not by her name, most people think Rowan is a boys name (Rowan Atkinson, for example)

Boys do seem tougher. I sort of pictured a boy, unti the amnio doc told us it was a girl (impressive, considering what they have to look at). Now I'm glad of a girl.

No telling me about teens and needing shotguns, I already know...
FAQ! We're scrod!
New Yeah - girls are better
At 2. Mine will be 2 in January. Friends ask what its like to have a toddler and I tell them its like having the pet monkey I always wanted as a kid.

At 2 this kid is just like a little chimp - cute, mischeivous, no words - just cute jabber and monkey noises, but she can climb anything and is fully capable of passing the monkey and bananas test. Pretty fun.

OTOH, you can't take a monkey to a restaurant like we could when she was a baby. She takes more effort to keep from trouble and the tantrums are a drag.

I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
New Re: Yeah - girls are better
When people asked me what it was like having a 1-year-old, I told them to get a cat. The difference is that you can't kick the cat out the backdoor or leave them to their own devices (to wit, the litter box, the plants, the food dish, the toilet, and any woven fabric) while you go on vacation. In terms of independence, intelligence, and mannerisms though a 1-year old is comparable to a cat.

See my review about the Summit backpack.
FAQ! We're scrod!
New Uh... so you CAN leave a 1-y-o and go on vacation, you mean?
New Sort of.
Only if you leave the cat with the kid's grandparents.
FAQ! We're scrod!
New Leaving the cat at granma's is all it takes...
...and you can leave a one-year-old CHILD alone at home while you go away on *vacation*?!?

You *do* have the same definition of "vacation" as I do -- namely, that it's something that lasts for more than one day (i.e, includes at least one over-night away from home), don't you?

Oh well... here's hoping you remember to leave the litter box and, above all, the food dish (with something in it!) with the kid... ;-)

(But, hey, this is great news: We have one coming in about four months -- and we don't even HAVE a cat! :-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Actually, I rather like women, and don't particularly care for men,
so I don't really mind that women are all completely insane.
 - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=68920|Andrew Grygus]
New Genetic vs. Environmental again :=(
None of the so-called experts really know how a kid will turn out. I was (OK, so I'm remembering it through 35-year rose colored glasses) a well-behaved guy. Boy. Whatever.)
New So was I.
And, the fights that I got into with my siser weren't so bad.

At least to hear my parents when they mention that it might be time to think about having our second kid...
FAQ! We're scrod!
New Hey, Hillbilly banjo-man!
You know how that post could be read?!? ;^)

Sorry, but I really *did* read it that way at first glance...

(Ah, whaddoIknow; prolly sez more about me than about you. :-)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Actually, I rather like women, and don't particularly care for men,
so I don't really mind that women are all completely insane.
 - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=68920|Andrew Grygus]
New Well welcome to the world of lost regrets :-)
never knowing if you are doing the "right" thing or worrying about basics like food and clothing. My 8yo cried himself to sleep tonight over a friend he made before we moved. I dang near wanted to cry with him. Children are a wonder and you always are in that place between spoiling and ignoring and pray you have the wisdom to know the difference.
Luck,
Bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

Opera was the television of the nineteenth century:loud, vulgar and garish with plots that could only be called infantile. "Pendergast"
New Try it with a 6 year-old and a baby
Where the 6 year old was the Apple of everyone's eye... for six years.

She wanted to return the new one, cause it was broken and needed so much attention.

If you can get the mind focused on something else, would be a great thing IMO. It was amazing, how all of a sudden she didna care nobody was actually PAYING attention to the New Baby, and not Her...

Reading, a great thing, TV, not... Look at me... I am a blathering Idiot... I got PLENTY of mind rotting TV. Try to cultivate a hobby or something too... YEs... as young as that...

It was Far to long for my oldest being the Apple of Everyone's (everyone being those important to her) Eye... Now, I can;t get her to STOP IGNORING us... 15 Years Old and Knows everything. Watch out in the next election!

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive
free trip to the (county)Photographer!

Overbooking, is a problem, please be prepared for "room-ies".

Why You ask? Here is the answer to your query:
SELECT * FROM politicians WHERE iq > 40 OR \\
  WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
New We're thinking, we're probably a 1-kid-type family
I'm 34, Cathy's 36, we don't want a second for 2 years. We probably wouldn't hit the fertility jackpot on the first month like we did for Rowan, so we're looking at like 37 and 39 or 38 and 40. Possible, people do it, but we don't want to.

So, if we'd had Rowan when I was 20, it would be totally cool to talk about having a second.

If I had Rowan when I was 20, there would be nothing cool about it, because I was barely mature enough for it at 32.

The title of "thirtysomething" now makes sense to me.
FAQ! We're scrod!
New Dupe. Sorry
Somehow Collapse Threads got pressed. Oops

Expand Edited by bepatient Dec. 11, 2002, 12:05:01 AM EST
New Sure... uhhh huh... yep... sure thing... whatever you say...
And yes I am bored tonight...

[link|http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,56742,00.html|Wi-Fi enabled device use] comes with an all inclusive

WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
New I would've never phreakin noticed!
But thats ok...bored I can handle...but you seem bored and on about your 4th liter of the dew :-)

New Actually...
Didna have *ANY* Caffeine today...

Now *THAT* is cause for ALARM! And now you know the rest of the story!

Last one for tonight... Yawned while typing this one. Sleep is *FINALLY* fast approaching! Only been up since 4AM... Playing UT, UT2K3 and Q3A... oh and phone supporting three customers today... $50 an incident... 5 different problems today!!! 3 from one... 1 ea from the other two.

Nice... gonna seriously have to consider doing this fer a living. Rather than REALLY work!

Nighty... Night!

WHERE ego < 1048575;
0 rows found
     Thoughts on being a dad at 2 years - (rickw) - (17)
         Before you mentioned it...knew it was a girl. How? - (bepatient) - (9)
             That's interesting - (rickw)
             Yeah - girls are better - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                 Re: Yeah - girls are better - (rickw) - (3)
                     Uh... so you CAN leave a 1-y-o and go on vacation, you mean? -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Sort of. - (rickw) - (1)
                             Leaving the cat at granma's is all it takes... - (CRConrad)
             Genetic vs. Environmental again :=( - (wharris2) - (2)
                 So was I. - (rickw) - (1)
                     Hey, Hillbilly banjo-man! - (CRConrad)
         Well welcome to the world of lost regrets :-) - (boxley)
         Try it with a 6 year-old and a baby - (folkert) - (1)
             We're thinking, we're probably a 1-kid-type family - (rickw)
         Dupe. Sorry - (bepatient) - (3)
             Sure... uhhh huh... yep... sure thing... whatever you say... - (folkert) - (2)
                 I would've never phreakin noticed! - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Actually... - (folkert)

Know what's better than being born on third base? Being born in the owner's box.
73 ms