IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's a hope tax
One of my great grandfathers called it a gullibility tax, but I'm not so sure it's as bad a deal as straight stats make it out to be: a buck a week is pretty much negligeable -- indistinguishable from background noise. In this sense, however low the odds of winning, the utility of a win can outweigh the practically-zero utility of that weekly buck. Obviously, this applies more the wealthier you are.

For the less well-off, I've been wondering for a while whether an anti-lottery might be viable (aside from those pesky right-to-life we-know-best-what-human-dignity-is type laws). In a sort of despair tax, imagine signing up for a monthly minimum wage supplement -- until your number is called. If and when it is, you've already agreed to become a volunteer organ donor, and you will shortly be visited by the grim repo... Periodic medical checkups to ensure viability, and secret drawings to reduce asset hiding.

Giovanni
New "The Lottery"
It was a film I saw in English classs in junior high. It's rather like what you propose as an anti-lottery. It was quite powerful. I haven't been able to find the film, but the story, by Shirley Jackson, is [link|http://www.mostweb.cc/Classics/Jackson/TheLottery/|here]. Enjoy. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Pretty close! Did she patent the business process?
     Bought your lottery tickets? - (Another Scott) - (12)
         Nah.. Powerball corrupts, and absolute - -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
             and absolute power is kinda neat... -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                 except it ruins yer karma. -NT - (Ashton)
         I won't ever do a lottery. - (inthane-chan) - (8)
             Good for you. - (Another Scott)
             Full agreement. - (a6l6e6x)
             Then too.. the whole idea of 'funding education' on - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Which is why I want no part of it. - (inthane-chan)
             Its just a tax.. - (addison) - (3)
                 It's a hope tax - (GBert) - (2)
                     "The Lottery" - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Pretty close! Did she patent the business process? -NT - (GBert)

Who left that on the floor?
47 ms