IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New W2K Server question, please..
O'Reilly got me the book overnight! tho sent UPS ground ~ 30 miles. Must be the karma of the place I'm working for..
(W2K Administration in a Nutshell. Big Nut: 786 pp.)

I'm working on grokking the handy dandy MMC (M$ Management Console) and then on to - the apparently now useable? - Terminal Server.

I might wade through the cutesy-named Resource Kit ~ a manual: an EIGHT THOUSAND PAGE manual, per author. OK.. if it has a rilly Good index.

Q then:
Any gotchas on 'securely' setting up Sys access for self via DUN/modem? So I can explore from the comfort of my palatial sunken 40 room bunker.
(I gots Root, to coin a phrase.. Cackle\ufffd)

I noted that the 'PC Anywhere' box is NOT activated as, I'm sure it shouldn't be - unless that also might be useful and, could be made secure enough (?) IIRC - it can't.

OK, answer might bite me on ass after more perusing.. just.. there's so Much of this stuff - for a simple 4-6 user net with no web serving and one printer.

Thanks,

Ashton

PS - Proliant be one Hunk of Iron! with fast-SCSI RAID, prolly in mirroring mode. But noisy.
New There are options
You could use a dialup VPN, or RADIUS, or IPSec over dialup (requires some pppoe fandangos).

I'm not in reach of a PC at the moment (this is being typed on my mom's iMac - btw, Netscape 6 on MacOS 8 seems to Not Suck) but come Monday evening I'll give you some more concrete doin's.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: There are options
Thanks, Peter

(PS - any cranky comments I might make about what I'm discovering.. are not directed at you, even in your honorary 'capacity', I trust you realize ;-) But y'know? this thing's a beast! Amazing they got This many tailfins all running.. this (dare *I* say) umm reliably, in present simple case.

Not clear from text if absence of a T1 eliminates VPN? Likely now - a cable modem for their net access. ISDN 2nd choice if cable's too long delayed. Per p.219, seems IPSec with W98SE at my end would do for security. (Believe SE => SP1?)

There's only the one super-server and some laptops + a 12-port switch; router seems a likely next adjunct w/cable modem. Max likely clients soon: 6 (!) maybe incl. one for dial-up as alternative. (They have beaucoup extra phone lines anyway; would need a modem on one. I have a spare standalone Hayes Optima I could toss in)

Can see I'll need the guy who helped set this up (and who will help, I found) for some time.. before I'd try to implement any new service, on my own. It will help for me to become clearer about the options for RADIUS, to make to-do list more sane. Gotta ration Pro help priorities.

Next: add printer (!) and .doc what's happening. Dare I run a normal Canon install for a BJC-1000 on W2K Server for local use? Do W2K servers like printer installs while they're trying to serve?

Thanks for lore.. and book tip! I see this is a trivial network by biz stds; yet W2K has all these layers - presumes a massive trees / forest worldwide enterprise. I'll have to hope that Tullock's few-page hints are enough. (And the 8K pages - index.)

Would there were a Ref. which omits the WAN and concentrates exclusively on simple services 'neat', as in undiluted. Call it Miniscule Resource Kit?

Cheers,

Ashton

PS - if you were using this fancy ProLiant for this simple network, would you consider Linux a cheaper long-term maintenance choice? (Assuming ProLiant RAID, HP DAT drivers are available, and ignoring cost of help re transition)

In the end, daily maintenance will have to be by amateurs, either way - checking logs, backups, etc. It's a charity, not a business.
     W2K Server question, please.. - (Ashton) - (2)
         There are options - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Re: There are options - (Ashton)

We got the same old show.
67 ms