IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ahh....forgot that
Basically, the last impression you gave was that you were completely down on any file-based product,

A year with text editors (including Emacs) and CVS has strengthened my feelings in that direction

Python particularly because it was good enough to be frustrating that it wasn't as powerful as Smalltalk.

Python now frustrates me because I see it as being just more of the same, and making the same mistakes many other languages have made. It's still pretty immature, but as it's trying to grow up, it's doing so in the wrong direction. It's not learning from other's past mistakes.

I use it a lot at home (most of my check balancing/money management is done with a set of Python modules and scripts I put together), but it's not something I see as being ready for big application development yet. (Which, coincidentally, is my job :)
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Have you considered telling people?
The Python developers, in particular?

They might be receptive to your ideas.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Are you kidding?
After the comp.lang.python flame fest over what type the result of "/" shold be and some of the other recent exchanges, the last thing I think I want to do is go suggest that the fundmental thinking that leads to iterators and list comprehnsions is misguided
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Well...
... then don't complain when the thinking doesn't change.
Regards,

-scott anderson
     Getting the owning window of an HTMLElement? - (admin) - (35)
         *sigh* - (Fearless Freep) - (21)
             You're a lot of help. ;-) - (admin) - (20)
                 thanks! - (Fearless Freep) - (19)
                     Re: thanks! - (admin) - (18)
                         Re: thanks! - (Fearless Freep) - (5)
                             Last impression - (admin) - (4)
                                 Ahh....forgot that - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
                                     Have you considered telling people? - (admin) - (2)
                                         Are you kidding? - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                             Well... - (admin)
                         Excuse me? - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                             Well, they're wrong. - (admin) - (10)
                                 Everything has its place - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                     Your horse is getting taller by the minute. - (tseliot) - (8)
                                         What is a scripting language? - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                             Good and bad scripting. - (static) - (2)
                                                 Unix scripting... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     That is partly how it was designed - (ben_tilly)
                                             would scripting languages be anything with an interpreter? - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 Yup, IMO. Oh, and you forgot one: Java. -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                 Not necessarily. - (static)
                                                 I wouldn't draw the line there - (ben_tilly)
         Try '.parent' - (drewk) - (12)
             Nope. - (admin) - (11)
                 Either call from the element itself or pass params - (tseliot) - (1)
                     I passed params. - (admin)
                 My stuff's not in front of me... - (ChrisR) - (8)
                     We own all of the frames. - (admin) - (7)
                         hmmm... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                             No dice. - (admin) - (4)
                                 Non standard - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                     Yes, that seems to work. - (admin) - (2)
                                         Natch - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                             Still some problems with DOM in IE 5.5 - (admin)
                         "All your frame are belong to us"? - (Fearless Freep)