IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re This is getting worse

(THIS IS MY 4th ATTEMPT TO POST THIS FROM VARIOUS COMPUTERS AFTER BEING BLOCKED ON ANOTHER COMPUTER)

For the past few days I have suspected that something had gone wrong with my main computer (the one I do most Internet activity through).

Symptoms were

1) Zone Alarm stopped warning me of unexpected connections to my computer

2) Every now and then I seemed to lose control of my mouse & keyboard and at the same time there was taffic on my DSL modem (& Zome Alarm was saying nothing)

3) a few days ago A small Netscape window popped up saying that there was an update to Netscape and to click to apply it - because I had just installed Netscape 7 some weeks ago I clicked it then almost immediatel thought - thats a bit odd & tried stopping netscape but I have a feeling that loaded a trojan or back-door. My wife later said she has been getting that same Netscape message almost every 4 or 5 times she starts her Notebook up (it too has NS7).

Anyway, tonight what really satisfied me that someone into my computer was that when the mouse & keyboard froze & the cable activity falshed up, a message appeard on my screen that file 'InfoSec Policies' was no longer mounted - well that is a file I have on a memory stick & I had removed that memory stick earlier in the night. Then another file name came up for a security file I also keep on that memstick. These files were listed in my documents list as recent accessed files.

So after all the other funies with posting to IWETHEY, I think I am the target of someones security service. Being in China, my first suspicion is that it is local. I am not aware of any damage being done o any of my computers just a constant bombardment of emails with what I have always considered viruii attached & which I avoid like the plague they are.

So maybe I will need to rebuild this computer from scratch in the hope I can clean out any back-door software & as for Zone Alarm - it is supposed to warn me *any* time a bit of software tries to open a port to anything. I have removed and reinstalled it - I half wonder if there is some coperation between MS Netscape ZoneAlarm etc: with US security agencies who want to access peoples computers. I have no proof that is what is happenin here.

I am not sure what program is listening on port 49213 - looks odd - I also notice I am getting occasional flashes on my DSL modem (but I have shut down the network card).
The flashes look like what a back-door client seeking to access a backdoor-server, might make. What also puzzels me is the ports 192.168.0.3:137 192.168.0.3:138 as I have disabled sharing on that network adapter ???

Any comments on the ports in use allowing that I have ZoneAlarm Pro active, is welcomed

Cheers

Doug Marker

PS below is my netstat 192.10.100.x is my internal network
192.168.0.x is my WI_Fi network with router

TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:1028 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:1030 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:1032 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1031 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1031 127.0.0.1:1032 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:1032 127.0.0.1:1031 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:5180 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:49213 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.10.200.11:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.168.0.3:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
UDP 0.0.0.0:135 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:1026 *:*
UDP 192.10.200.11:137 *:*
UDP 192.10.200.11:138 *:*
UDP 192.10.200.11:500 *:*

UDP 192.168.0.3:500 *:

Cheers

Doug Marker

New Didja ever use...
Ever use DB2 on that machine?

Cause the "default" search server runs on that port as a service to the localhost only.

Also, the HTML help browser service for Visual Age comes to mind too... I think it was on that port for localhost only also.

Seems NetQuestion (part of UDB) also uses that port... All these products are form the SAME venodr... IBM.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Re: Yes both - still have VA Smalltalk Installed
I thought the number seemed familiar.

Thanks - Doug

#1 - hmmm this post didn't get blocked - the one above got blocked 4 times over 4 hrs until I dialled into to a different ISP port & it got thru.

I am begining to suspect that the entry into my computer may have been thru remote login as I had been using auto start-up for primary user. I have stopped that now & activated requiring ctl-alt-del

I have noticed a steady pattern of pings coming to my computers. Zone Alarm seems to be again picking up this stuff(after I did a reinstall).

Just now thoug, I noticed one of my computers with an alien ip addr with ports 137 & 138 open ???

I have no idea what that ip address is

Cheers

Doug
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Nov. 22, 2002, 12:01:24 PM EST
New Re: Yes both - still have VA Smalltalk Installed
The 169.254 address is the 'automatic' IP address Micosoft networking gives your machine when it can't find a DHCPish server on the network, or there's no static IP defined. Also, 192.168.x.x is a valid address range to use for an internal network, however 192.10.x.x is not..those are public addresses.
-----
Steve
     Security related - perhaps amusing to some but ... - (dmarker) - (20)
         I haf a few questions - (boxley) - (1)
             Re: The blocks seem to be getting worse - (dmarker)
         Definitely not amusing to me. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Re: It isn't as if I post anti - (dmarker)
         Re This is getting worse - (dmarker) - (3)
             Didja ever use... - (folkert) - (2)
                 Re: Yes both - still have VA Smalltalk Installed - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     Re: Yes both - still have VA Smalltalk Installed - (Steve Lowe)
         Can't we do this over ssl? -NT - (deSitter) - (4)
             Re: That seems reasonable - (dmarker) - (3)
                 137 138 netbios scans (lotta trolling lately) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     Re: Have decided to set up an NIDS & Honeypot - (dmarker) - (1)
                         Yeppers... - (folkert)
         Not at all amusing; sad, really - (rickmoen) - (6)
             Re: Not at all amusing; sad, really - (dmarker) - (5)
                 Re: Not at all amusing; sad, really - (rickmoen) - (4)
                     Re: Rick PS is still there, neibour teachs there ... - (dmarker) - (3)
                         WOW!!! Kowloon used o be where cheap lodging was available - (boxley) - (1)
                             Re: And cheap girls <grin> - actually ... - (dmarker)
                         Re: Rick PS is still there, neibour teachs there ... - (rickmoen)

All you need is the GRR Memorial Secret Decoder Ring, and the translation is easy!
49 ms