IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Japan going Open Source?
Vulnerabilities of its Windows operating system may cost Microsoft dearly as the Japanese government is set to evaluate open-source alternatives to beef up computer security...

Officials in India's Department of Information Technology in New Delhi disclosed details of a move called the Linux India Initiative just weeks before Microsoft chairman Bill Gate\ufffds recent visit to the country.

[link|http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-966700.html|Open Source Study on Windoze Replacement Due Out]

Is it just me, or are we beginning to see the slow, wallowing death of the tyrrant?

bcnu,
Mikem
New Thanks; I needed that today. (Billy n'B still not in jail)
New This is what I said three weeks ago.
The slap on the wrist is telling everyone that the US is going to use Windows to spy. So... bye bye Windows everywhere outside of North America.

This is just getting started.

Of course, it appears that inside the US is still going to be their little captive market... it's going to hold you (us) back for years.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Laval Qu\ufffdbec Canada                   [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New You're just trying to cheer us up! :)
Alex

"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."\t-- Ovid (43 B.C.-A.D. 18)
New Re: Ever hear of Japan TRON project ? - it never went away
Throughout the years I was doing business in Asia, they always made it quite clear that they wanted to be independant of US technology & this covered chips & software.

Most people may not remember the Japan (1980s to early 1990s) TRON project - it was a pretty big deal & scared the s*** out of US IT vendors at the time. The name got corrupted when a kiddie cyberworld movie of the same name came out. But a Google search on the name is bound to bring up the details. (Hmmmm - here goes ...)

[link|http://www.japanlaw.com/lawletter/april87/das.htm|1. Found this one]

I was in Korea & Japan a lot at the time & both countries were scrambling to leapfrog US but the funny part was they needed US technology to do it & we knew it.

Korea had a project to produce 4 32-bit processors on a single chip - Japan was going for 32 & 64-bit single chip & backed by the TRON project (which I am sure was derived from UNIX in that it was to be scalable & OPEN. But, resembled todays Java and was OOT based - the intention was that TRON would be common to all sizes of device (Linux can now claim this)).

I tend to think it died when the US 'chip wars' got under way as this left Asia so far behind the curve that Intel created. Even IBM couldn't break thru - it was IBM & Motorola who took on Intel. Also the US Govt blacklisted TRON as an enemy of the state (see link 3. below).

In UNIX, the Unix wars also had the side effect that Unix moved so far ahead of Asian efforts that the likes of TRON got left behind but sadly because of the fragmentation of Unix, NT got through the gap & cleaned up, until Linux emerged. If Linux fragments then it too will become doomed but as long as we have the cult of Linus, I think the fragmentation can be avoided.

Some of the links below argue that TRON's time is yet to come. (www.tron.org).

Cheers Doug Marker

Some more stuff on TRON

[link|http://www.tron.org/show-e.html|2. Tron.org - exhibition planned in Dec 2002]

[link|http://www.japanecho.co.jp/jeu/arch/010707.html|3. TRON has *not* dissapeared - watch this space]

"TRON, a computer operating system proposed by University of Tokyo professor Ken Sakamura, has recently been seeing its share of the OS market rise rapidly. TRON's development began in earnest in 1984 with the support of the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (now Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry), but it was temporarily sidetracked in 1989, when Washington listed the software as a potential target of sanctions under the Super 301 provisions of the 1988 Omnibus Trade Act. TRON did not disappear, however, and is actually used in more devices today than even Microsoft's Windows. The potential new global standard in operating systems is the subject of Japan Economic Update's selection this week from Diamond."

[link|http://www.ascii.co.jp/english/news/archive/98/03/25/#1|4. TRON to take on Windows]

* TRON, Japan's Answer to Windows, Continues Steady Development in the Far East
Outside the Far East, few people are familiar with TRON, The Real-time Operating system Nucleus, which has been developed and implemented, primarily in Japan, for over a decade. The concept behind TRON is a systems engineer's ideal: an elegant, "lightweight," extensible operating system applicable to personal computers, networking and communications, embedded systems, and real-time automation control. Earlier this month, the faithful met at Tokyo University for the "14th TRON Project International Symposium," to report on the past year's achievements; set priorities for the coming year; and renew their commitment to fighting the hegemony of Microsoft.
Expand Edited by dmarker Nov. 27, 2002, 04:02:25 AM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker Nov. 27, 2002, 04:05:19 AM EST
New Re: The more I look into TRON - the bigger it gets !!!!
[link|http://www.japaninc.net/mag/comp/2000/11/nov00_filter_tron.html|TRON TRON TRON]

Extract ...

"I Tron, You Tron, We All Tron
After being alternatively ignored, dismissed, and forgotten for the past 16 years, a university-industry Japanese tech collaboration is bearing new fruit as the wireless Web takes off.
by Steve Mollman
Send feedback to editors@japaninc.net

SIXTEEN YEARS AGO THE TRON project began with the vision of creating the "computerized cities of tomorrow." Headed by professor Ken Sakamura of the University of Tokyo, the project was a collaboration between university and industry, the latter represented by companies like Sony, Hitachi, and NEC but open to all. It was a grand vision that would take decades, even a century to realize, but by the mid-'90s the project was being referred to in many media outlets in the past tense as a failure.

But in fact TRON never died, and one of its offshoots, ITRON, is gaining increased relevance today as, among other things, the embedded real-time OS found in most i-mode handsets.

"The Real-Time Operating System Nucleus" came -- make that comes -- in various flavors: Business TRON, Communications TRON, Industrial TRON, (more recently) Java TRON, et cetera. Macro TRON is a sort of \ufffdberTRON that will -- who knows? -- someday connect all the TRONs in the computerized cities of tomorrow. Each flavor has achieved varying levels of usage in the world. Chances are you've used ITRON many times without knowing it -- it's in all sorts of automotive and consumer electronics products from Japan -- but it's doubtful you've ever used BTRON.

BTRON was fated to obscurity from the get-go. At the height of US-Japan trade tensions during Japan's bubble years -- when tribes of angered Detroit auto workers could be spotted on the evening news ritualistically sacrificing Toyotas -- the OS kernel was barred from being promoted in the United States (with a little encouragement from Microsoft). It's hard to imagine Windows wouldn't have clobbered it anyway, but it's a shame the BTRON specification was never given a fighting chance. It is, however, still to be found in niche desktop OSes, most notably one made by Tokyo-based Personal Media Corporation. Cho-Kanji 2, released this July, has sold 150,000 copies and is especially popular among those needing an OS with a little more character, so to speak -- it includes more than 130,000 characters, including a vast number of kanji. (Compared to the 7,000 or so characters available in a typical culturally insensitive PC.) Characters from many languages around Asia and the world are found in this double-byte OS, and even Klingon will be added shortly. The product has all sorts of cool features -- it supports a vertical writing editor, for example -- but in a Windows world, it is, sadly, a niche offering. A Japanese librarian needing to enter family names in kanji would love it, but would most likely have to partition the hard drive of his Windows machine to use it.

ITRON, on the other hand, is embedded in all sorts of intelligent consumer electronics products from Japan: audio and video equipment, microwave ovens, printers, phones, vending machines. "Millions of TRONs are out in consumers hands," says professor Sakamura, who still leads the project after 16 years. "Sony's latest camcorder has TRON, it's installed in most cell phones in Japan, and Toyota's recent model contains about a hundred microcomputers with TRON inside."

More at above link ........

WHAT IS TRON

[link|http://chokanji.hp.infoseek.co.jp/|A japanese tries to explain TRON - (He likens TRON to Unix & BTRON to Linux)]

Extract ...

First of all, what is BTRON ?

I'm going to explain this according to my comprehension.

BTRON is a kind of OS for PC, such as MacOS or Windows(MS-DOS).

But, precisely speaking, TRON itself is NOTthe OS, but a specification.

I'm NOT sure this example is good, but please consider TRON as UNIX, and B-right/V as Linux.
* BTRON specification includes,
1. Multi Windows System with GUI(Graphical Users' Interface)
2. Pre-Emptive Multi Task
3. Real-Object/Virtual-Object Model

What is the Real-Object/Virtual-Object Model ?

This is a very difficult question.

But I believe you can consider this model as "hyper-link", like the Internet Web pages.

TRON makes it possible to link each file easily on your PC's.

Does TRON has other aspects ?

Yes, TRON is also called the "Enable Ware" for handi-capped(physically challenging) people.

And "B-Free" Project also exists.
* Other News Sources [E]
o National Semiconductor Japan Will Exhibit 41 Information Appliance Products at Tokyo Seminar on August 30th.
o User-UnFriendly PCs will Disappear in 10 Years

* Terminal
o Go to Index
o TRON Related Link

New I remember a fact about TRON...
It was the "OS" where "FUZZY LOGIC" was really first implemeted in embedded devices. And it workewd very well if I recall.

Dunno if it has really gotten anywhere... Interesting... them more things change, the more they stay the same.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheimes Staatspolizei reminds:
Continue to look at your monitor and continue typing,
we'll just sample your DNA and scan your eyes.
New Sounds like__a prescription for our first Lectronic Senator
New You speak TRUTH!

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Geheimes Staatspolizei reminds:
Continue to look at your monitor and continue typing,
we'll just sample your DNA and scan your eyes.
New But TRON has had very limited use in US, Europe
From your posts & my memory, TRON is basically being used as an embedded OS. Thus, its competitors would really be WindRiver (the dominant RTOS company), RT Linux variants (Blue Cat, MonteVista, Lineo, etc), QNX, eCos, and, on the margins (embedded but not real time), Linux, Symbian (for cell phones), and WinCE.

I don't think it will gain much marketshare in the US, especially with Linux improving, but I'll make sure I check for it when I visit the Embedded System Conference West.

For a lot of devices, Linux is still way overkill, especially if you do not need a GUI or TCP/IP stack. For example, if you're trying to do a system with no MMU, 5K RAM, and 64K flash, Linux won't quite fit.

Tony
     Japan going Open Source? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
         Thanks; I needed that today. (Billy n'B still not in jail) -NT - (Ashton) - (8)
             This is what I said three weeks ago. - (jake123) - (7)
                 You're just trying to cheer us up! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                     Re: Ever hear of Japan TRON project ? - it never went away - (dmarker) - (5)
                         Re: The more I look into TRON - the bigger it gets !!!! - (dmarker) - (3)
                             I remember a fact about TRON... - (folkert) - (2)
                                 Sounds like__a prescription for our first Lectronic Senator -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     You speak TRUTH! -NT - (folkert)
                         But TRON has had very limited use in US, Europe - (tonytib)

That's pretty much epic-scale incomprehension.
70 ms