IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A glimmer of hope - OASIS office application file format
OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards), a prominent standards setting organization for XML based inter-business communications has started work on an XML format for [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,716573,00.asp|office produtivity applications].

Quite logically, Sun has contributed the OpenOffice file format as a starting point, as they're already pure XML and Open Source. Sun, Corel, Boeing and others are on the committee, but one prominent OASIS member, Microsoft, says it has no intention of participating (I just cannot imagine why).

That an organization with real credibility in standardizing business communications has adopted this project is encouraging. That Sun has been able to contribute a complete and already fully working XML file format gives the project substance.

That Microsoft, while boasting right and left of "XML standards" has opted out, casts considerable doubt on the companies intentions (for those who can still fit in any more doubt).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New OASIS in the Microsoft Desert...
It appears that Microsoft is trying to incur a "statement" to cover the oasis with the sands of the desert. Without ever really saying anything about it.

Microsoft thinks, it can do whatever it wants. It CAN... cause all it looses is a bit of money on legal costs, oh and a bit of shine on that TURD.

Microsoft's products aren't shitty because they are insecure, they are insecure because they *are* shitty!

This is another reason Microsoft's products are crappy!

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Not too confident.
The XML crowd - as a group - is terminally insane.

Its a huge circle jerk of rules, transforms, types, schemas, DTDs, pockets, packets, etc.

I spent a month on the xml developers list trying to figure out where these people are coming from. I learned:

1) Many of them don't even code and never have. They are cocktail party architects.
2) The few that have done some coding are brycian anti-object zealots.
3) They love complexity. Creating puzzles for themselves and then trying to solve them.
4) The are splintered into lots of little factions that don't agree and thus thrash constantly.

As an example, I posted something to the effect of "I don't get it - what is all this for and when and where do I want to use it?"

The argument lasted 2 weeks. No consensus was reached. The best answer was "its an interchange format - not a working format".

I'm not holding my breath.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:44:47 PM EDT
New Is that list archived on the Web - any pointers...? :-)
New lists.xml.org
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:47:23 PM EDT
     A glimmer of hope - OASIS office application file format - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
         OASIS in the Microsoft Desert... - (folkert)
         Not too confident. - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Is that list archived on the Web - any pointers...? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 lists.xml.org -NT - (tuberculosis)

Exterminate!
185 ms