IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Access has some "special features"
I'm not talking about what you and I have discussed at length. ;-)

Access has some odd behavior if you use its "bound forms" for anything non-trivial. In Access, the form itself is bound to a table (or an "updatable query) and Access itself decides when the row is inserted, if it's inserted and on every third full moon (as best I can tell) if it is inserted properly. With bound forms you have VERY limited ability to control when the rows are written or when to bail on an insert (indeed in many cases you CANNOT stop a write even if you try to). And it is VERY cheesy. The built-in Access menus to mangle data can be turned off, but in many cases aren't. And then novices can do stuff like "docmd.MenuItem.Delete" in the wrong places - worse if done through wizards which produce code that would make you whince even harder than you already do looking at VB code.

I could go on from now until I die, but I'll give you better specifics only if you're interested. I don't like to think about this very much ;-)

In sum, Access makes it appear easy to do a database front end, but if you don't know how it really works, you can get your self in jail very easily.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Nov. 16, 2002, 05:11:06 PM EST
New Thanks, that's quite enough. On that other thing, though...
...I'll hafta get back at ya, 'coz I don't think we *quite* finished that.

Later, though. :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
     Excel 97 spreadsheet to Excel database + form. Tips? - (Another Scott) - (43)
         I'd export to a delimited file - (drewk) - (14)
             Thanks, but that's not what I'm looking for... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                 There's another issue with XL. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                     Get warp and mesa - (jake123) - (11)
                         REXX??? As in Tyrannosaurus? <vbg? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                             Pretty much, considering - (jake123) - (9)
                                 REXX is the pre-perl perl -NT - (wharris2) - (8)
                                     Maybe... - (jake123) - (5)
                                         Cheap shots :=) - (wharris2)
                                         How is that a lot easier? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                             I didn't say easier. - (jake123) - (2)
                                                 OK, but... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     Equivalent in REXX - (jake123)
                                     BZZT - Utterly wrong - (deSitter) - (1)
                                         know how you feel - (cforde)
         Nah...its trivial in Access too. - (bepatient) - (8)
             God, Beep! Bound Forms! Bleech! - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 It sounded like what he needed. - (bepatient) - (6)
                     Understood. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                         Not knowing Access all that well... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             The problem with Access. - (static) - (1)
                                 nutshell: Access expects denormalization. - (tseliot)
                             Access has some "special features" - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Thanks, that's quite enough. On that other thing, though... - (CRConrad)
         DTS? - (gdaustin) - (18)
             Spreadsheet grows up to be a Real Application - (gdaustin) - (17)
                 I'm looking at Access and MySQL now. - (Another Scott) - (16)
                     Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL? Why don't you consider a REAL... - (CRConrad) - (15)
                         Christian, WTF are you on about? - (admin) - (13)
                             In that case, I'll point to one it *does* have: - (CRConrad) - (12)
                                 Um, my tinfoil hat seem to work better on you than on admin. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Yours?!? Isn't it *I* who should be wearing one? - (CRConrad)
                                 PostgreSQL Python drivers... - (admin) - (9)
                                     Lot better than I thought... All your fault, though! ;^) - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                         Re: Lot better than I thought... All your fault, though! ;^) - (admin) - (7)
                                             "user-defined types" - would that be SQL-standard 'domains'? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                 user-defined types - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Wow, cool; the FB dev list is only now talking about that... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                         Postgres is really a research database - (admin)
                                             That...is frickin cool. - (tseliot) - (1)
                                                 What, the inheritance? - (admin)
                                             Cool! - (deSitter)
                         I glanced at it, but didn't bite. - (Another Scott)

Na'ghimgor thdid lym.
Myn th'x barsoom lu'gndar.
In'path gix mth'nabor.
In'path nox vel'dekk.
Yig sudeth M'cylorum.
M'xxlit kraddath Soggoth im'betnk.
Nog s'dath blexmed!
116 ms