IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 2 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fun Fact of the day
A screed, to be sure, but a fun one which resonated a bit with me:

[link|http://m.bacarella.com/papers/secsoft/|http://m.bacarella.com/papers/secsoft/]

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Re: Fun Fact of the day
An instant classic, I do believe.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
Expand Edited by rickmoen Nov. 15, 2002, 02:06:45 PM EST
New Bravissimo____what a Tour!
Thanks Mr. B. Goes in my PHB EdjaKayshun folder. I can understand all of it well-enough; no need to fully grok the specific pointers to details beyond my experience (or interest).

Point - so could any Representative in er Congress - and we know that a short attention span can't be a cop-out: you cannot even Get There without an infallible and lengthy memorized list of names of backs to be slapped. OK maybe Not a 60 yo 6-termer - but.. his bright-eyed Aides can damn well grok this style of tech writing.. damn close-enough for government work.

Amazing caveats:
"..Filter out everything but good data instead." Y'know, even in PDP-8 days - I believe we called this a $%^#@ MASK - did IQs drop a lot since then? Buffer overflows.. ain't that another ditto re sloppy thought (at design level) of similar ilk? Interrupt-controlled systems WAIT a lot - gosh is That News too, to modrin designdroids? {sheesh}

And yeah: I looked at *all* the 'services' running by default in W2k.. (not even in W2K-Server). We killed quite a few (hardly the same as grokking How each process works - but you can at least see the obv dependencies) - EZ, moving from Auto to Disable, as tests progressed. And I don't know shit - could there be Paid-Admins who know/care even less?

How to get this screed moving out there.?. preaching to the converted is so like satisfiction.

Ashton
it ain't my job to do everyone else's homework; I can only circulate to a few: WRITE your Influential buddy-list or drown in Ashcroftian ignominy. Imagine that.. M$-DOJ Database of all Databases: now under construction - per other posts just today. This crap is being lumped under panic- National-Security doggerel => No Review by sentient beings.
Building a secure system is a difficult task. There is no system that is invincible, but with some simple adjustments you can come very far in achieving a high degree of security, which has other positive side effects to boot!

Now that you know better, there is no excuse whatsoever. You cannot claim ignorance. Don't destroy humanity.
New Only one point of disagreement
About middleware and the reinvention of wheels.

Using existing wheels can be good or bad. I don't advocate reinventing wheels all of the time. For instance reinvented HTML filtering code makes the same mistakes over and over again, see his complaint about cross-site scripting attacks. OTOH poorly thought-out middleware is the cause of a lot of problems. So don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, but do consider carefully what wheels you will reuse.

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New Mmm-hm. I had the same reaction.
I was explaining some of the finer points of OO to a friend who's starting to learn; one point being you often don't begin to realize any benefit from OO until you start to re-use, begin abstract subclassing, or work collaboratively (which are actually different facets of the same process). The reinvention argument begins to fail when you work on a project with more than one engineer. From a single programmer's POV, any farming-out of work begins to look like avoiding reinvention, and it must occur if the project is going to be completed in reasonable time frames.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
     Fun Fact of the day - (tseliot) - (4)
         Re: Fun Fact of the day - (rickmoen)
         Bravissimo____what a Tour! - (Ashton)
         Only one point of disagreement - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Mmm-hm. I had the same reaction. - (tseliot)

Credit grudgingly slathered, for consistency.
38 ms