IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A few Comments on HP-UX and Oracle
There some known installation problems. It is similar to the Pentium4 bug in the Oracle 8i and before Universal Installer. You may have to copy all of it to a local filesystem and install from there after modifying the options file.

There is also a known issue with the Listener not listening on the proper port, on HP-UX... or so I have heard... that is! Not that I have seen the documentation...

Of course this is all conjecture... but then again maybe not... Do you have Oracle Software Support? Call'em they Really are good about these kinds of things if you don't have anyone there that cn fix it.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Re: A few Comments on HP-UX and Oracle
There some known installation problems. It is similar to the Pentium4 bug in the Oracle 8i and before Universal Installer. You may have to copy all of it to a local filesystem and install from there after modifying the options file.
Unfortunately, this is Oracle 9i we're trying to install. However, we *DID* have issues attempting to do an install from a network-mounted disk. So we copied the install media to a local drive and (after 15 minutes of man-page reading) managed to un-CPIO the .CPIO.gz files.
There is also a known issue with the Listener not listening on the proper port, on HP-UX... or so I have heard... that is! Not that I have seen the documentation...
Hmmm. I might have to look into that...Sounds suspiciously familiar to what we've been seeing.

Even the local "Oracle guru" guy threw up his hands in frustration and said "beats the hell out of me" after a couple hours of looking at it and getting nowhere.

Of course, we've asked them if we could wipe the box completely clean, get a fresh install of HPUX, and then install Oracle. It's a testing box in a testing environment. Gotta figure that's done reasonably often. But they've denied us. So, oh well. They don't have this Oracle instance for testing...</rant>
Of course this is all conjecture... but then again maybe not... Do you have Oracle Software Support? Call'em they Really are good about these kinds of things if you don't have anyone there that cn fix it.
Not sure. I'm merely here as a conslutant.
-YendorMike

[link|http://www.hope-ride.org/|http://www.hope-ride.org/]
New Having seen similar things on Solaris
You have the whole thing laid out in a tmpdir right? And the install fails but writes the packages to disk? Manually edit the tnsnames.ora file for the correct port, machine name etc. nsure that the oraenv contains the correct path to the tnsname.ora and all the other env stuff. I always liked to create an oraenv that I can source which contains everything the installer might want to know about then run it. Also check perms and ownership on the files it layed out.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]
"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic." Correction: All that can be achieved with 51 percent of the voters!" Ilanna Mercer
     Oracle. - (Arkadiy) - (6)
         Amen - (Yendor) - (5)
             I think your problem is probably the HP/UX part - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 Nice to know... - (Yendor)
             A few Comments on HP-UX and Oracle - (folkert) - (2)
                 Re: A few Comments on HP-UX and Oracle - (Yendor) - (1)
                     Having seen similar things on Solaris - (boxley)

That would be like Scott taking the Wal*Mart cruise.
41 ms