IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bob Lewis on desktop Linux
Didn't see this mentioned yet, so I'll go....

A surprisingly good essay from Bob on one of the major reasons going to desktop Linux makes sense for a lot of Windows customers:

[link|http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/08/20/010820opsurvival.xml|http://iwsun4.infow...survival.xml]

The most telling quote:

"It is, in short, time to seriously consider Linux as a desktop operating system. If it isn't time to develop a migration plan, it's certainly time to perform a cost/benefit analysis.

It's a triple irony: The timing coincides with Dell dropping its support for Linux; it comes just as Microsoft has finally achieved sufficient OS stability to eliminate that as a differentiator; and it is Microsoft, through its licensing shenanigans -- not any of Linux's backers -- that has made Linux a credible option for you."

Too bad Infoworld has sunk into irrelevance.

New Not Just IW
*All* the trade rags have sunk into insignificance. I used to read them religiously, now I read not a one of them, ever. I don't even go to ZDNet unless someone directs me there. Computing has become a nearly vacuous activity and there is almost nothing interesting to say about it, just as there is very little to say about plumbing. There aren't even any good fads to write about.

Why is this? I really think the lack of interest in good, creative development environments limits what can be done with current systems. The old tools, and the new-old ones like Java, are simply maxed out on creative potential. If for some reason people became interested in Smalltalk, with its inherent power to create large-scale, capable systems (say, self-organizing systems or truly cooperative, parallel computing systems), some of the pop would return to computing and it might get interesting again - for a while. But the sad truth is, it's more or less a mature technology now and so it's just not very interesting any more.
New M$ / Procter & Gamble / Pepsi
I guess it's about as you say..

Any techno aspects are many levels submerged below the suppurating cauldron of adolescent greed and slimy machinations of tiny but important details..

NONE of which are about 'user convenience'. ALL of which are about the kind of sabotage as has made many of these players candidates for RICO (had we a non-Repo system of 'justice').

Gotta ago. Acute W2K information syndrome attacks. But at least I volunteered for the suffering..

A.
New I see what you mean
I've let several of my own subs lapse as well. On the other hand, I don't think I see as bleak a landscape as you do. From my own perspective (systems geek) I think Linux, the rise of OSS and the general resurgence of *NIX has brought some excitement into my field.

(About to teach my very own UNIX sysadmin course next term.....oboyoboyoboy)

It was pretty grim there for a while, with everyone seemingly sinking into MS-endorsed mediocrity. I know we tend to blame MS for everything (and we're correctly surprisingly often) but I really do think that they really lowered the bar for my profession by getting people fo settle for stuff that wasn't very good run by other people who mostly didn't know what they were doing. And *this* was considered a selling point!

(No offense to you, Peter, you are an ubergeek who has truly paid his dues in this field and no doubt you are paid vastly less than your true worth.)

New dont forget himself the sean blake
who could make MS products sit up and beg to have his magic to touch the keyboard an equal of Peter but not AFAIK a member here. He is nix knowledgable but spent his earlies in MS dudgeon and is now "gasp!" in charge.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Re: I see what you mean
UNIX is played out too. I love it, but it's a dinosaur - a very sturdy dinosaur.
New "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New On MS-endorsed mediocrity...
A staffer came by here earlier, checking to make sure that everyone was running a virus checker on their workstations. The conversation went something like this:

Staffer: "Are you running a virus checker?"
Me: Nope.
Staffer (disgusted look of "ah, caught one"): Why not??
Me: I'm not running Windows.
Staffer: What are you running then?
Me: Unix.
Staffer. Ah. (smile) Never mind, then.

*cackle*
Regards,

-scott anderson
New +5, Funny.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Sent Bob a small kudo
And er, casually mentioned zIWE's link.

(lest we overdo that little barb, in a near-vacant dried-up oasis)

He was.. among the few who would actually defend his essays. Sounds as if he is pissed off enough, at all events of the past year - to bite hand that feeds $ to the IW suits in residence.

Wish him well..

A.
     Bob Lewis on desktop Linux - (tjsinclair) - (9)
         Not Just IW - (deSitter) - (7)
             M$ / Procter & Gamble / Pepsi - (Ashton)
             I see what you mean - (tjsinclair) - (5)
                 dont forget himself the sean blake - (boxley)
                 Re: I see what you mean - (deSitter) - (1)
                     "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." -NT - (static)
                 On MS-endorsed mediocrity... - (admin) - (1)
                     +5, Funny. -NT - (static)
         Sent Bob a small kudo - (Ashton)

"I couldn't have done it without him, sir."

"Cheek."
239 ms