IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sony introduces PCG-U3 Handheld VAIO (UPDATED)
#1 there is now an English language version. ### Updated

#2 Hmmm - just reconfirmed that there is *no* english version - just an upgraded Japanese version

Both HK & the US importers take the Japanes prod & add the WinXP from a larger similar Vaio model. ### Updated again

Seems to be same as the U1 model except it can be upgraded tgo 512mb RAM and sports a 933 mhz Transmeta Carusoe chip.

Cheers Doug
PS the ones I saw were all black (the U1 is grey)

PPS this post is coming via my PCG-U1 over Wi-Fi. The Sony Wi-Fi adapter software is the best of any I have see todate - very easy to configure & use

#2 Found some links & specs
[link|http://www.japanrush.com/pcg-u3.asp|PCG-U3 specs]

[link|http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,104891,00.asp|Write up on new Vaio Models incl U3]
EXCERPT ...

The PCG-U3 is a new Vaio U model that changes the way the device is held. It allows the user to operate the notebook PC while holding it with both hands. A click button is located at the upper left side of the keyboard, so that the left hand can click, while the right hand can drag a cursor by using a dragging ball located at the upper right side.

The PCG-U3 is expected to be out on October 26 at around $1250.

Future Products
Sony also unveiled two conceptual Vaio models, known for now as the Content Egg and the E.Q.

The former, a flat egg-shaped device, is a "personal server" that stores a user's important or favorite data. The company hopes this Content Egg will be able to send data to a notebook PC on the move, via the Internet, whenever and wherever the user requests it.

Vaio E.Q is a compact hexagon-shaped "sensing computer," which stores data such as still images and voice memos, gradually learns its user's thoughts, experiences, and interests, and eventually starts providing the user with relevant advice. It can therefore remind users of interactions they have previously had with other people, the details of which the user may have forgotten.

Both Vaio Contents Egg and Vaio E.Q are at a research and development stage, and the company hopes to commercialize them in 2004, Sony says.

[link|http://www.pclcomputer.com/zh_tw/index.php|This link shows the PCG-U1] which now priced at $US1128 here in HK ($HK 7.8 = $US 1).

##! Update
Have been trying to update this post from minutes after creating it but until today was always blocked.
Expand Edited by dmarker Nov. 13, 2002, 10:14:12 PM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker Nov. 21, 2002, 09:20:13 PM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker Dec. 23, 2002, 12:54:17 AM EST
New You must not be a touch typist....
I was looking at the U3, and decided it was a no-go because of the keyboard. I'm a touch-typist and programmer, and its layout is too different (it would get me really confused, especially since I would be using a lot of keyboards with normal layouts).

Difference include [{{] in different location, Enter key one row higher (this is a huge problem), etc.

It looks like 10" wide is about the minimum size for a normal keyboard layout (e.g. PictureBook, SRX). I'm going with the SRX instead of the PictureBook because I like the bigger screen (10.4 vs 8.9), longer battery life, and got a much better deal on it -- and the slightly larger size (10"x7.7" vs 10"x6") isn't significant for me.

What would be really slick would be a portable with rollup keyboard (these already exist) and display (these are in the works), especially if it could roll up into a PDA-sized package.

For browsing the internet & doing programming, word processing, etc I decided that any screen < 800x600 is too small; even 640x480 painfull, and I know 128x96 (or whatever my cell phone has) is good only for a few items (checking NFL scores, weather & that kind of stuff).

Tony
New Sony will accept USB Mouse & USB keyboard - a must if ...

You want to type with other than your thumbs (what the U3 was designed for <grin>).

I get really pissed off at the U3 mouse - the durned thing keeps creeping after a while & at times I think I will break a finger trying to position it. IBMs thinkpad mouse s***s on the U3 one - Sony have a lot to learn in that dept.

Keyboard is irritating when wanting to enter lots of data (end up with lots of typos) but it in turn s***s on a PDA keyboard & if a larger kb is needed then USB it in.

Cheers

Doug (still love the little blighter am already wanting to upgarde it to 30GB)
New It's about finding the ideal size
One of my friends is looking at getting a laptop for desktop replacement, so he wants the works, and isn't so concerned about size.

I've decided that I have enough desktop systems, and for stuff that takes a lot of MHz (Mech CAD, photo/video) even the most expensive laptop can't beat a reasonably priced desktop. So, I went looking for a small, but usable notebook.

And ended up with a SRX-87. It's substantially bigger than your U3, but a lot smaller than almost everything else. And, I don't have to drag a USB keyboard around, although I'll probably carry a mouse around (the built-in trackpad ain't bad, but it's not as good as a mouse).

It's definitely worth the extra money over a NV-70; I just can't imagine web browsing on the NV-70 or other PDA. And, it can run all the software I need to do my job (when I add a USB to serial converter so I can talk to PLC's and such).

I still like having my T-615 PDA, since it is so much smaller than the SRX, but it's a PDA, NOT a "Pocket PC". It serves a different role (for one, it's great to bring into a cleanroom to take notes).

I was never a big Sony fan, and in general still am not, but I have to admit that Sony has done a very nice job with their Vaio laptops and Clie PDA's.

Tony
New I'm still waiting for the ideal laptop.
The Sony Vaio SRX99 is a nice box, but I'd like something similar with the CD-RW built in.

The Fujitsu Lifebook [link|http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P2|P-2120] is the closest I've yet seen to my ideal. It's got a built-in CD-RW drive, and built-in wireless networking, 933 MHz Crusoe (for long battery life), 40 GB, 256 MB (384 MB max - a little on the low side), XP Pro (I wish it was available with Win2k). Nice and small, but usable without having to drag around other drives. $1699 list.

If it were $1200 or so, I would get it....

Cheers,
Scott.
     Sony introduces PCG-U3 Handheld VAIO (UPDATED) - (dmarker) - (4)
         You must not be a touch typist.... - (tonytib) - (3)
             Sony will accept USB Mouse & USB keyboard - a must if ... - (dmarker) - (2)
                 It's about finding the ideal size - (tonytib) - (1)
                     I'm still waiting for the ideal laptop. - (Another Scott)

Hello, boys and girls! Here we are in Romper Room school again!
95 ms