IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Two or Three Extra columns, more than a flag...
The way we typically do this at our site is to have a "Start Time" column, an "End Time" column, and a timeout flag.

The reason for the start/end times is that you can subtract start from end and find out how long the poll took (usually in milliseconds, but for some systems in millionths of a second).

The timeout flag tells you that the transaction ended because of a timeout.

The reason you want to do this is that your timeout value might change over time ( 30 seconds this month, 25 last month, 45 two months ago), or you might expand the system to multiple customers where each has his own timeout.

Reporting timeouts for a period of time (1 day, 1 week, 1 month) is now much easier, because you can use the start timestamp as a key value field in the time period (be sure to create indexes on start and end time).

Just my thoughts.
Expand Edited by gdaustin Nov. 7, 2002, 07:23:09 PM EST
New See? Told ya someone would want more data. :D

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
     Extra flag or an additional table? - (Arkadiy) - (7)
         I'd use a flag. - (tseliot) - (3)
             Queries are somewhat unpredictable - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                 It's purely a design decision IMO--look to the future. - (tseliot) - (1)
                     I see. Thank you. - (Arkadiy)
         Two or Three Extra columns, more than a flag... - (gdaustin) - (1)
             See? Told ya someone would want more data. :D -NT - (tseliot)
         I vote flag field - (tablizer)

This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.
63 ms