IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bush's "Fuzzy Math" is rubbing off on Billg(e)
Which, I guess, is another way of saying, when yolu lay down in slime, you get dirty.

Courtois claimed that Microsoft has been tracking the total cost of ownership (TCO) in 12 organisations across a range of business sectors, and that in 95 per cent of cases the "TCO was better on the Windows platform".

According to my calculator, 95% of 12 is 11.4. So, Mme. Courtois, as proxy for The Autistic One, how did you create 4/10ths of an organization for your screed?

(Edit: fixed YAT (yet-another-typo))

jb4
"About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. "
-- Edsger W.Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)
(I wish more managers knew that...)
Expand Edited by jb4 Nov. 6, 2002, 09:23:31 AM EST
New Even if the number are right
Even if the TCO for Windows is "usually" lower (to avoid the precise number), there is a hidden implication: Since the TCO of Windows is usually lower, that's what you should use. But (there's always a "but" when it comes to statistical analyses) that means that there are at least some cases where TCO is higher for Windows.

The question then, is: What do the cases where the TCO of Windows is higher have in common? Is it based on the industry? The computer-skills level of the staff? The specific programs used? The network effect of dealing with customers/suppliers? The inertia and cost to switch?

Considering the fact that Windows already has a 95% share of the business desktop market, the fact that they can only show lower TCO in 95% of the cases is telling. It means that even with all the items mentioned in the previous paragraph, they're only breaking even on the cost to stay or switch.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New The long run total cost of operations
[link|http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=281|Why Free Software's Long Run TCO must be lower]

I believe Drew you'd like this too...

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
     Old tricks are hard to unlearn... I guess... - (folkert) - (4)
         They apparently don't *have* to learn - (drewk)
         Bush's "Fuzzy Math" is rubbing off on Billg(e) - (jb4) - (2)
             Even if the number are right - (drewk) - (1)
                 The long run total cost of operations - (folkert)

It’s merely anecdotal, but someone who can severely misconstrue the meaning of “Green Eggs and Ham” has no business being considered smart.
159 ms