IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Update on Replication
After having half the data on the database going missing twice, our fearless leader decided that Microsoft SQL Server Replication will not be used.

So now I will attempt to re-write the Replication part using just Visual BASIC, ADO, and whatever I can figure out to copy from one database to another and update the data. This is a trick that even Microsoft, IBM, and other companies have not figured out how to do. Not Replication, but more like Synchronization like a PalmOS device does. Hospital Server has data, our Server has data. We make a change on ours, it gets sent to theirs. They make a change on theirs, it gets sent to ours. We won't always have a connection to their LAN. Some of them have a dial-up, others an encrypted connection and the key changes every 15 seconds to connect to it, and yet others have a VPN that we have to manually connect in order to connect to their network. So SQL Server Replication will not work here, I will have to make a custom VB program to do the Data Copy for them, So simple that they just make the connection, set up the UDL files to point to the Hospital database on our server and the Hospital database on their server, and then they just press a button and start the Data Copy.

Brain Surgery, Rocket Science, Quantum Physics, all child's play next to this. Wish me luck.

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New Try MSMQ.
Might work for you.
New how will you resolve last write issues on the same record?
hospital db
server db
temp work db
both hospital and server put changes to temp db which has a copy of server db at a specific point in time like 00:05 am during the day as things are update replace the hospital db with tempdb using a copy function. at midnight replace server with tempdb rinse and repeat. Might want to ask tablizer to verify but it should be able to be done in xbase in a matter of hours. Trouble is your not using xbase.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

"Money for jobs? No first you get the job, then you get the money" Raimondo
New I've told him how to do it already.
New Thanks, but I lost that job.
I told them the way you wanted me to do it, and the boss said "No".

It may have led to my firing, suggesting Interbase and other Borland products. After he read the email I sent him on it, he slammed his fists down on the desk, packed up his laptop after shutting it down, and then ran out the door muttering "Damn programmers...." or something like that.

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New Yeah, sure - that must be why I did it. (new thread)
Created as new thread #64728 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=64728|Yeah, sure - that must be why I did it.]
   Christian R. Conrad
Mechanisation

As our souls are slowly stolen
The wheels of progress keep steamrolling
Mechanisation melts our minds
To drive the furnace that drives us blind. -- [link|http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/poetry/mechanisation.html|© Conrad Parker, 1993]
New Since you're down to synchronization, not replication now -
should you export the data to some simple portable format, and then send it to hospital and/or to the home base? This way you don't need any sophisticated tools over connection, and if you chnage the central data server, you can still support old versions.
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
     SQL Server Database loses half of its records and indexes - (orion) - (27)
         SQL Database loses half of its records and indexes - (gdaustin) - (14)
             Recipe for doom - (tablizer) - (13)
                 Re: Recipe for doom - (jlalexander) - (12)
                     I'd disagree as well, but not so strongly. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                         DBA's fault? - (tablizer) - (10)
                             Have an example handy? - (ChrisR) - (8)
                                 Actually there was a bug in Sql 7.0. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                     Seen lots of SQL generate "incorrect" results... - (gdaustin) - (6)
                                         Those dang outer joins - (wharris2)
                                         Why does it care about line-ends in the first place?!? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                             Re: Why does it care about line-ends in the first place?!? - (gdaustin) - (2)
                                                 We do the same thing here. - (admin) - (1)
                                                     We've done that, too. - (static)
                                         Speaking of incorrect results... - (Meerkat)
                             Possibly - (wharris2)
         What kind of replication are you doing? - (mmoffitt) - (11)
             Expect no response from Norm... -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                 Why's that? Is he no longer active here? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Claimed so on the mailing list- but, "Promises, promises..." -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Get over it - (orion)
             Update on Replication - (orion) - (6)
                 Try MSMQ. - (mmoffitt)
                 how will you resolve last write issues on the same record? - (boxley) - (3)
                     I've told him how to do it already. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Thanks, but I lost that job. - (orion) - (1)
                             Yeah, sure - that must be why I did it. (new thread) - (CRConrad)
                 Since you're down to synchronization, not replication now - - (Arkadiy)

To the pain!
117 ms