IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm confused...
I especially dig their "refactoring" to cover up what is really going on: Code *rework* because OO *failed* at its change-friendly goals...

So you argue that since OO failed at it's change-friendly goals, they invented refactoring (which is changing the structure of code without changing it's behavior). If OO is so change unfriendly, why would changing OO code (refactoring) be so popular?
Regards,
John
New Inertia
If OO is so change unfriendly, why would changing OO code (refactoring) be so popular?

You seem to be suggesting that something that requires more effort should disappear from the market place. However, there is often *inertia* in the industry which prevents this. QWERTY, COBOL, and Microsoft servers are an example of things that were *more* effort than alternatives, but organizations just did not want to change for whatever reason. Job security, perhaps. Good auto mechanics have fewer repeat customers, it is sometimes said.

Futher, OO gurus did not want to admit failure, so they just renamed failure to make it sound more pleasent.

BTW, I did not say that OO fans "invented" the term or concept of refactoring. I don't know its true origins. I am saying that OOP has popularized or mainstream-ized the concept. Rather than admit it failed to make code change-friendly, they made code rework into a standard corporate function or step.

You argue that OO failed to make code change-friendly.

You then argue OO gurus brought out refactoring to cover up that failure.

How could that possibly be since refactoring is about changing code? Wouldn't refactoring OO code be impossible if OO was not change-friendly?
Regards,
John Urberg
New That's normal when you talk to Tablizer. Get used to it.
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
New ROFL! Thanks, Doc.
Alex

"I have a truly marvelous demonstration of this proposition which this margin is too narrow to contain. -- Pierre de Fermat (1601-1665)
New Misunderstanding "change friendly"
Okay okay, now I see the problem I think.

There is a big misunderstanding WRT "change friendly".

I meant how the code as a whole weathers changes, not each individual peice of code. Change-friendly design is a design that requires the fewest code changes upon a given application requirements change.

It is *not* the *ability* of the code to morph, but the NEED to undergo change or morphing in the first place. It would be roughly analogous to a plumbing design that avoids the need to bend pipes, and NOT the maluability (bendability) of the pipes themselves.

Is that clear now?

This kind of reminds me of when John Lennon said, "The Beatles are bigger than Jesus Christ now" in the 60's (IIRC radio story). Religious groups went crazy and held mass record burnings. What they did not understand is that John was comparing their *popularity* to Jesus, and not their value as beings. Some preists came forward and even agreed with John, saying that "young people don't pay enough attention to religion and too much to pop stars" (paraphrased). John tried to explain the comment to the press, but it didn't seem to come out right.
Regards,
John Urberg
New oopsismad.com, it makes good reading and helps
understanding some points that Bryce makes.
thanx,
bill
oops is tops
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

"Money for jobs? No first you get the job, then you get the money" Raimondo
New re: Where's the "tablizer dictionary"?
I thought it was self-explanatory, but I was wrong. It seems there are multiple valid (or semi-valid) interpretations that I failed to anticipate. I am sorry. I will avoid its usage for now on.

How about "maintenance friendly" instead?
New Are you saying OOP is easier to refactor?
Maintenance friendly = p/r code

OO code != p/r code therefore OO is by definition not change friendly or mainentance friendly

Refactoring = something OO gurus made up/stole to hide the fact that OO is not change and maintenance friendly
New OMFG! ROFLMAO! LOL2!

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New You're referring to the design of the code.
IOW, I understand your qualification to mean a well though out design will tend to only need changes to it's meta-data than in the actual code.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New re: You're referring to the design of the code.
IOW, I understand your qualification to mean a well though out design will tend to only need changes to it's meta-data than in the actual code

Well, that is certainly part of it. But it also has to do with how much code rework is needed per change. For example, in program A, a given requirements change may result in splitting 2 classes and moving 2 methods to another class; but in program B, the same change may only result in altering 2 classes in place. The second one would probably get a higher "change-friendly" score. (There are finer granularity counting techniques, I would note.)

It is based on the total effort of rework you could say, regardless of whether it is code or tables that have to be altered. (Note that meta-data alteration may require a less skilled person, and thus less money expended by the company.)
Expand Edited by tablizer Nov. 8, 2002, 01:06:34 AM EST
     Delphi evangelism, continued... - (CRConrad) - (36)
         Buglet fixed, thanks. -NT - (admin) - (2)
             Oh yeah, sorry... (new thread) - (CRConrad)
             Fixed Buglet == Fixlet, no? -NT - (tablizer)
         VisProRexx - (jake123)
         Gotta congratulate yer enthusiam! -NT - (wharris2)
         Divorce the GUI builder and language - (tablizer) - (22)
             Dr. Dialog (OS/2) does that - (jake123) - (2)
                 Any ports to OS's with more than 1 percent market share? -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                     No. - (jake123)
             Re: Divorce the GUI builder and language - (johnu) - (18)
                 Re: Divorce the GUI builder and language - (deSitter)
                 Not original enuf to have new FUD I guess - (tablizer) - (16)
                     ...and here's why. - (pwhysall)
                     I'm confused... - (johnu) - (14)
                         Inertia - (tablizer) - (13)
                             My head hurts - (johnu) - (12)
                                 That's normal when you talk to Tablizer. Get used to it. -NT - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                     ROFL! Thanks, Doc. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                 Misunderstanding "change friendly" - (tablizer) - (9)
                                     Where's the "tablizer dictionary"? - (johnu) - (6)
                                         oopsismad.com, it makes good reading and helps - (boxley)
                                         re: Where's the "tablizer dictionary"? - (tablizer) - (4)
                                             But then... Easy re-factoring IS "maintenance-friendly"! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Are you saying OOP is easier to refactor? -NT - (tablizer)
                                             The real Tablizer dictionary - (johnu) - (1)
                                                 OMFG! ROFLMAO! LOL2! -NT - (folkert)
                                     You're referring to the design of the code. - (static) - (1)
                                         re: You're referring to the design of the code. - (tablizer)
         I fold. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             Great! (or something... :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
             Re: I fold. - (wharris2) - (5)
                 CRC wouldn't answer me, will you? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     Sure -- I was going to, anyway, but... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         I saw that - (tablizer) - (2)
                             Replaced -- literally, that is, "re-placed"... - (CRConrad)
                             You were supposed to. (new thread) - (CRConrad)

Happiness is a lint filter full of thwarted pinworms.
95 ms