IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Motherboard beeps?
Brian Connors' added some memory to the system I gave him, but not it doesn't boot, it just beeps. Anybody know where the secret beep decoder ring(free inside this box!) can be found? :-)

He is able to boot removing the extra memory.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New how many beeps and are they short or long
depending on the age of the box ya might be shoving too much memory down its throat
beep codes a series of 3 beeps repeated is memory fault series of short and long is no video available. Use to have the table around somewhere.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New One long beep approximately every second
Sounds like a truck backing up.

I bought a 32 Meg SIMM, double sided, speed unknown, 80(? - tried to count them last night, eyes are getting old) pins, to complement what Darrell gave me. The problem occurred when I added it to the motherboard to bring the P166 system up to 64 Meg. Reversed them in the slots - still beeps. Pulled out the new simm and it rebooted successfully. Leads me to believe that there's something wrong with this simm.

One thing I didn't do is boot with the original simm in the other slot. I'll try that tonight; maybe the slot is bad for some reason.

BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New Addendum
Went home for lunch. Took out the original memory simm and replaced it with the one purchased yesterday. In either slot, the PC doesn't boot and I get the series of long beeps. Put in the original with the new one, tried booting - got beeps. Switched them in the slots - same old beeping. Pulled out the new one, left in the original - boots up OK. Put it into the other slot - ditto; boots up fine.

I'd say the memory was bad. Now I have to go argue with Akmed that he sold me a bad simm and to replace it, no matter that it says on the receipt "All Sales Final".
BConnors
New The latest update
The guys at the computer shop were pretty reasonable. They swapped the old 4x64 Mhz double sided 32 Meg DIMM with a single sided 32 Meg DIMM. They said give it a try, and if it doesn't work, bring in the unit and they'll try to find a 32 Meg that works, and they'll only charge me $35 for bench time.

Took home the new DIMM, plugged it in, and after booting up successfully (YEA!) system info tells me I now have 40 Meg of RAM. They said it was a 32 Meg DIMM to match the 32 Meg Darrell gave me, so how come my machine thinks it's only a 8 Meg DIMM? Either they made a mistake, or my machine's gone flaky on me.

Suggestions on what to do now?
BConnors
New Comedy
I'd more trust the computer than the dealer, but (grins&giggles) it's a crapshoot
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New BIOS dependent. Look here.
[link|http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm|This] seems to be the best description of them that I've found yet.

I've got a Tyan Pentium-233 motherboard (Tomcat 4, S1564) which runs fine with 64 MB of RAM, but won't run with anything higher (tried multiple varieties of SIMMs, etc.). Never figured it out. :-( I hope that doesn't bite Brian.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I like this one better
[link|http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm|This page] may provide less overall explanation but makes a particular beep code a lot easier to find.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Tomcat 4
I have a dual (2x 200MHz PentiumMMX).

It has 256MB spread through the 8 sockets.

I've heard that this board has problems with 64 MB simms.

New Interesting. Tried several batches of 64 MB without success
I'll see if I can have better luck with 32 MB SIMMs.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Motherboard beeps? - (SpiceWare) - (9)
         how many beeps and are they short or long - (boxley) - (4)
             One long beep approximately every second - (bconnors)
             Addendum - (bconnors)
             The latest update - (bconnors) - (1)
                 Comedy - (wharris2)
         BIOS dependent. Look here. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             I like this one better - (wharris2)
             Tomcat 4 - (Brandioch) - (1)
                 Interesting. Tried several batches of 64 MB without success - (Another Scott)

Pain is merely nature's way of hurting you.
152 ms