IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: The existing solutions were not sufficient.
Agreed. Though ours took a little longer to develop because of other requirements (tweaking to tune the performance, though, took a bit. Getting the best performance out of the back-end was a high priority given that it was supposed to provide real-time data. That wasn't completely trivial.).

Dan
New Fortunately for us...
... we have a guy who'd done something like it before on the backend. He wrote the pubsub server. I wrote the javascript stuff. The remaining point of optimization is in the tunnel, but we haven't needed to do that yet.

Optimize no sooner than necessary. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: Fortunately for us...
Oh, so you *didn't* write the back-end as well. I didn't have to write the applet (though I helped a little). My job was to write the back-end. To me, that was the interesting thing (designing it for extensibility and performance at the same time).

To be honest, my javascript/DOM skills aren't good enough to do it that way (and no one else here has them, either). I know it can be done, and know, generally, how it could be done, but that's about it.

As for "optimize no sooner than necessary"....though I agree (since the statement is written such that you can't really disprove it), optimizing sooner, rather than later, isn't a bad thing, necessarily. The flip side...optimizing later on (on purpose) can put you into a position where you *can't* optimize without big changes (and that's one of the problems that we have....to integrate it with an existing, non-optimized, internal application).

Dan
New Not talking about *no* optimization
But, you optimize the design during the design phase, etc.

The backend was the simplest part, actually, and it *is* ultra-optimized. The javascript was a lot of fun to do... I'd never done javascript before, so you could say we didn't have the skills in-house when we started either. ;-)

The neat thing was that when I was done we had a javascript solution (frames, etc) that could also be piggy-backed by the applet. So, the applet does the communications, the javascript does the page object model and actual scripting. Best tool for each job.

I've pushed my javascript up to 200 updates/sec during testing too, so it's fairly efficient... ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (admin) - (8)
         Re: Stopping the browser throbber - (dshellman) - (7)
             Securities? - (admin) - (6)
                 Re: Securities? - (dshellman) - (5)
                     The existing solutions were not sufficient. - (admin) - (4)
                         Re: The existing solutions were not sufficient. - (dshellman) - (3)
                             Fortunately for us... - (admin) - (2)
                                 Re: Fortunately for us... - (dshellman) - (1)
                                     Not talking about *no* optimization - (admin)

Swiftly thereafter, Choco Taco Delight.
69 ms