IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They are finally committing suicide.
That is my impression after having to "activate" 8 licenses of Office XP Pro using a telephone (there was no 'Net connection at this place). I wouldn't go through that again on a bet. As I accomplished this task I thought, "This alone is worth switching to OpenOffice." I hope many, many others come to the same view (and I believe they will).

bcnu,
Mikem
New Re: They are finally committing suicide.
Open Office at home, myself.

It actually seems to handle spreadsheets and Word documents very well. At least it hasn't barfed on anything I've Emailed to my home address to work on at home yet.
Expand Edited by wharris2 Oct. 30, 2002, 10:54:17 AM EST
New Re: I'm really diggin' OpenOffice.
I haven't used it much as far as converting between Word and OO but so far I'm liking the Writer module. I especially like the feature that fills in words as you're typing them, which doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference when you have to type 'propliopithecine' a dozen times.

I like the clean interface, too. Much like Ami Pro used to be. Wish they made an Access-like database though.
New On it's way...
Just not out of the gate yet...

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Just how "Access-like" do you want it?
Would you settle for something that works?
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New That's a good point.
If you're willing to learn SQL, managing a MySQL or a PostGres database isn't hard. Doing the funky Access interface magic is harder (CGI to the rescue :-) - but perhaps that's a good thing. I'm sure you've seen lots of Access databases that are rubbish or just plain broken.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Re: Just how "Access-like" do you want it?
Easy enough to build forms and write VB-ish code without having to code every.stinking.thing to make it do anything. Admittedly, I've had good success with Access (save v. 95 which sucked rocks, and v. 2000 whose "Help" system is absolutely atrocious). I mostly do 1-2 user things mostly geared toward data collection and tracking for research projects. It works well for that.

And it has to be readily readable by SPSS and such.
     Microsoft finds another excuse to sell you Windows licenses - (ben_tilly) - (7)
         They are finally committing suicide. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
             Re: They are finally committing suicide. - (wharris2)
             Re: I'm really diggin' OpenOffice. - (acagle) - (4)
                 On it's way... - (folkert)
                 Just how "Access-like" do you want it? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     That's a good point. - (static)
                     Re: Just how "Access-like" do you want it? - (acagle)

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...
75 ms