IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New CSS overrides for page settings?
Ironically, one of the most annoying pages I hit on the web now is this zIWETHEY.

Fonts are scaled. For whatever reason, dialog boxes (eg: this text editor) are presented in a largish Helvetica font, rather than my preferred monospace courier. Etc., etc., etc.

Rumor I've heard is that it's possible under Mozilla (hence: Galeon, Skipstone) to write your own local CSS file that overrides any preferences listed on a website. Question is: how? Search proves virtually useless.

Cheers.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]

What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New So turn it off.
You can [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/user/edit|turn off CSS] in zIWT for exactly that reason.
Regards,

-scott anderson
Expand Edited by admin Aug. 18, 2001, 07:50:54 PM EDT
New Doesn't answer broader question
zIWETHEY is one of the offenders. It's not the only one. I'd like to cut the goddamned crap off at the source. Tweaking each site independently gets old fast.

How does one use userContent.css to set sane font/size preferences. I'd like:
  • Body face and size locked. Note that deselecting CSS still leaves the odd font sizing hint in place. Spacing between lines is also odd.
  • Link colors locked.
  • Step sizes locked to ranges (about 3-5% is sufficient for hinting).
  • header level (H1, H2, H3,...H7) face and size locked.
  • dialog font face and size locked (incidentally, deselecting CSS doesn't effect the dialog here, unless I have to start over from scratch or reinitialize my session somehow).

I continue to maintain that the best thing to do with fonts and display preferences is to leave them the fuck alone. Users have controls within their browsers to modify size preferences to suit their reading needs/preferences. If you tweak settings, you get two classes of users:
  • The ones who've specified their browser preferences to their liking and hate yours.
  • The ones who don't know, or care, how to specify font and display preferences, don't realize what you've done, and are generally bewildered by different display settings across multiple sites.

The short version: you lose, you lose.

Best I can hope for is to wrest control back from the webpage design bozos.

This is a certain satisfactory aspect of the dillo browser: font face and size, and background color are specified by the browser. In fact, they're compiled in ;-) Rendering uniformly readable sites is actually nice for a change.
--

New Well why don't we just go back...
...to black text on a grey backround?

What's the point of having a hypertext markup language if you don't like people marking up the text?

Semi-nudge nudge

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New wtfsck is wrong with that?
we are speaking visually, the text is the message and english or american has all the T":'W!,. punctuation to deal with mood settings (or so some of whine about others not using same:)) pretty is cool until you realize that this is a forum not a bloody movie download site. Pretty is cool but a complete waste of time unless it is integral to the message. Shouting does not require special html codes UPPER CASE DOES JUST FINE! While I enjoy CRC because he is CRC the trouble to go thru for a 2 fingered tytpest is more trubble thn iits wooorths. wehatever. I am not trying to sell you anything just spitting out what comes to mind, ask questions and share life. We arnt being graded on this are we?
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New I wonder if it is as simple as that.
zIWETHEY has almost no <font> tags and almost no class= or style= parameters. If you turn CSS off here, rendering should be entirely at the mercy of your browser.

I embarked on a mini-project some weeks ago to bring some sort of order to the markup here on IWETHEY wrt CSS yes no or otherwise, but the truth of the matter is that what Scott has cobbled together is actually pretty versatile and very tame, really. So I abandoned it for the moment.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New zIWT -- is that pronounced, "zoot"?
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
New Just "zIWT"
And we've been off lighting the Grail-shaped beacon, too...
Regards,

-scott anderson
New As the prescient LRPD says...
Just a little peril?
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New No, it's too perilous.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New But what if....
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch, I go to the lavatory! ?
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Re: zIWT -- is that pronounced, "zoot"?
No, it's pronounced thus:

zed-eye-dubble-you-tee.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Nice style sheet
Not perfect, but goes a long way toward presentable text. Find the stylesheet in this page:
[link|http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size_intervals/altintervals.html|[link|http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size_intervals/altintervals.html|http://style.clever...tervals.html]]

--

New CSS is the correct way to go...
The idea behind the CSS standards was to specifically allow the end user to override the stylesheet with their own. The intention is to lift the font sizing and scaling away from the individual tags and define them externally. Those who want to view the page in a different manner have the outlet of defining their own stylesheet for pages and by the standard the browser is supposed to allow disabling the stylesheet. So, instead of discouraging the use of CSS, your complaint is one of the reasons that stylesheets are the better way to go.

Here's the method for user defined stylesheets for [link|http://aware.hwg.org/tips/essay_kb_03.html|IE and Opera]. Netscape 6.0 allows you to override the font settings. I can't find the documentation for Mozilla, but I did see a [link|http://www.richinstyle.com/bugs/mozilla.html#core|reference] that it's a bug since ignoring stylesheets is part of the CSS standard.

On a more general level, I can partially sympathize with your concern but many web authors view their craft in the same manner as printed publication. In the same sense that a newspaper or magazine does not allow you to pick and choose what font that you receive in your subscription, so too a web author is usually under the gun to provide a distinctive look and feel for their content.

Also, there are times when an application requires the use of graphical images in conjunction with text to provide the maximum information density. If you lose control over the layout of the text, then the author can make no guarantees of how that text interacts with the images (given that images are fixed size and not the subject of stylesheets).
     CSS overrides for page settings? - (kmself) - (13)
         So turn it off. - (admin) - (10)
             Doesn't answer broader question - (kmself) - (3)
                 Well why don't we just go back... - (bepatient) - (1)
                     wtfsck is wrong with that? - (boxley)
                 I wonder if it is as simple as that. - (static)
             zIWT -- is that pronounced, "zoot"? -NT - (tseliot) - (5)
                 Just "zIWT" - (admin) - (3)
                     As the prescient LRPD says... - (Yendor) - (2)
                         No, it's too perilous. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                             But what if.... - (Yendor)
                 Re: zIWT -- is that pronounced, "zoot"? - (pwhysall)
         Nice style sheet - (kmself)
         CSS is the correct way to go... - (ChrisR)

We could go on a quest!
106 ms