IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'd say that's open and shut.
I may not like that word, but that's no cause to lock the guy up for 5 years. Community service, maybe, but you're still awfully close to 1st amendment issues. Jail? Hell no.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Huh?
"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you" - Friedrich Nietzsche

I thought that was from Batman?
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Huh^2?
Seriously?

Hell, Batman is a monster in some ways (loved that 4 part Dark Knight Returns graphic novel that came out in the late 80s IIRC - Batman as an old Geezer, going up against Superman one more time... Just to remind him that it's not his planet.) but this is a notion that is much older than the Bat...

[Edit: s/Night/Knight]
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Expand Edited by inthane-chan Aug. 17, 2001, 06:37:18 PM EDT
New Sorta :)
Seriously?

In one of the cartoons, Batman's having a moment of self doubt and is in the Batcave talking to Robin and he looks down into a cavern and says that if you look into the abyss long enough, the abyss looks back into you (Although he may have said "darkness" rather than "abyss", I don't remember the exact wording)
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Makes sense.
And I don't know how much the modern era shows it, but the original comic (IIRC from the '30s) was much darker - Batman was almost as much a thug as the villians he fought against. After the Comic Code Crackdown, they had to clean things up, and IIRC that's where Robin came in.

Give me a "gritty" hero over Superman any day. Anybody can aspire to be Batman, but you might as well aspire to be Christ as Superman. A hero without flaws is not a human.
New Re: Makes sense.
My guess is that if you read the books closely, a significant number of Batman's lines are directly cribbed from Nietzsche. The feel is very similar.

But then, Nietzsche is everywhere. Reading his stuff and then noticing how much influence he's had is quite disturbing. People who like Nietzsche scare me. And I'm one of them.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New ..I thought Nietzsche influenced "Superman", not "Batman" :)
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New I probably should read him.
Especially since I like that quote so much.

Nietzsche probably says some really controversial things - but to be honest, I don't know that Awareness can survive in the universe by continuing to treat anything with a certain commonality of DNA as human. The problem is, selecting the person who makes the division between those truly Aware and those who are not - and that is something that we cannot trust any man with, as can be seen in World War II.

Rather, it is the responsibility IMO of each individual to focus themselves to becoming the next stage...
New Well, the Dark Knight* Returns...
...was rather literate, for a comic.

(Every bit as "heavy" as "Watchmen".)

So yeah, I think he said "abyss".

Because he *was quoting Nietzsche*...

[*]: Knight, wasn't it, not Night?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Re: Well, the Dark Knight* Returns...
Whoops. Was that in that one?

It's been 10+ years since I read it. That and The Watchmen were definitely Cool Books.

The problem is, it's kinda like reading the Lord of the Rings, and then trying to read David Eddings. It turned me off to comic books.
New Dunno.
Thane wonders:
Whoops. Was that in that one?
I just kind of assumed it was, 'coz I haven't read much else Batman in the last decade or two...

But then, the quote doesn't necessarily have to have been in any Batman I've read. (I *may* have got it elsewhere... :-)

But on the gripping hand, if *that* quote *was* in any Batman, then the Dark Knight is the logical candidate, right?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New From the article, I'd say he picked the wrong lawyer.
Because this isn't a question of free speech - threats aren't covered. This is also not, by the usual definition, a hate crime - he didn't pick a victim by race. And there is nothing to suggest that he would have been any less hostile had a white guy been involved.

But among the many things the article doesn't get into, the one I'm curious about is the lawyer. Was there baggage from the earlier case? Was the lawyer going for a precedent? Ongoing conflicts with officials?

This one shouldn't be going to trial. The guy is guilty of a minor offense. If the prosecution and his lawyer do their jobs he will get a minor penalty on the "kick his ass" part of the outburst and forget the rest. The only way this goes any further is if somebody (and it could well be his lawyer) decides to make it a test case. If that happens, based on the article, he's screwed. He's guilty on "kick his ass" and technicaly he could get the 5 years for that alone.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
     hard one to call, or not - (boxley) - (16)
         I'd say that's open and shut. - (inthane-chan) - (11)
             Huh? - (Fearless Freep) - (9)
                 Huh^2? - (inthane-chan) - (8)
                     Sorta :) - (Fearless Freep) - (7)
                         Makes sense. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                             Re: Makes sense. - (mhuber) - (2)
                                 ..I thought Nietzsche influenced "Superman", not "Batman" :) -NT - (Fearless Freep)
                                 I probably should read him. - (inthane-chan)
                         Well, the Dark Knight* Returns... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             Re: Well, the Dark Knight* Returns... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Dunno. - (CRConrad)
             From the article, I'd say he picked the wrong lawyer. - (mhuber)
         PC may triumph again - (wharris2) - (3)
             Yes, actions matter most. But words matter too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 human nature - (boxley)
                 Hey, for that matter... - (jb4)

The pursuit of balance can create imbalance because sometimes something is true.
65 ms