IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Walter Bright is back. With "D".
SlashDot had [link|http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/15/234223&mode=thread|am item] recently about YA language designer attempting to create a C/C++-like language that fixes the problems with C/C++. This time, it's Walter Bright, luminary behind the Zortech C++ suite. He has come up with a language specification called [link|http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html|"D"].

What do all you language boffins think?

Wade, who still has a Zortech C++ diskette set somewhere.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New This is progress?
The sample seive program looks exactly like a 20 year old C program.

Its a stillborn. There's no compelling reason to switch because it doesn't solve any new problems. It barely still solves the old problems.

Objective C is still a *MUCH* better effort at adding objects to C and its, what, almost 15 years old.

New Doesn't go far enough
It does correct a bunch of the most obvious mistakes and limitations of the C language but it doesn't go far enough to make switching over worthwhile. He fixes the obvious flaws like the char/byte mixup, but doesn't really generalize the variable types.

I suspect he also made a mistake in including a garbage collector. While GC is a good idea for some languages, many of the things that people still use C for are not appropriate for GC. This blocks the language from being that useful to the very people that might be interested the most.

Still, I can see one posibility for it's use. It is a small enough jump from C that C compilers are likely to go ahead and throw in support. This does depend on the language building up some level of support on it's own. If this happens then it's liable to pick up some steam simply because it will be a tool that everybody has access to.

Jay
     Walter Bright is back. With "D". - (static) - (2)
         This is progress? - (tuberculosis)
         Doesn't go far enough - (JayMehaffey)

If it's baroque, don't fix it.
62 ms