IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Unless I'm missing something... try nmblookup
First off, my apologies if I am missing something. I can't seem to raise more than 24 kbps out of Verizon, so even zIwethey is wait...wait...wait...

But from the [link|http://software.oit.pdx.edu/cgi-bin/hman-net?ManSection=1&ManTopic=nmblookup|nmblookup] man page:

nmblookup is used to query NetBIOS names and map them to IP addresses in a network using NetBIOS over TCP/IP queries. The options allow the name queries to be directed at a particular IP broadcast area or to a particular machine. All queries are done over UDP.

If all goes well, "nmblookup w2k_box_name" should retrieve the IP address. [I recall from past experiments that you may have to specify the WINS server with the -U option]
New Hmmmm... Dern it "looked" right past this...
Shoot! BANG! I'm dead... will(should) work for Drew, but not for Scott.

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Yup, that gets it
So apparently I have everything running I need running. All that's left is ... how do I tell my system to use nmblookup when a straight DNS lookup doesn't resolve? ie: I try 'ping dkime-win2k' and it returns 'unknown host'. What next? Off to read the above thread and see if there are any new ideas.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New You might try
lwresd - a daemon for ligthweight resolvers

And tell it to "cache" the info from nmblookup... it might work

Of course if your could get resolv+ to use nmblookups itself... it wouldn't be a bad thing...

curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

New I will
Tomorrow. Just got out of a four-hour meeting.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Re: I will
All I am saying here is that there MAY be functionality I have pieced together...

It was a HUGE swag... but I am guessing from the Docs I was able to dig up... well it was a bit wishy washy and YMMV.

If I can finger it out b4 you do... maybe we get it to work for you...

BTW, those 4 hour meeting SURE are promoters of efficency...

Any way to get a Linux client to talk to a WINS server? - (drewk) - (34)
         Re: Any way to get a Linux client to talk to a WINS server? - (deSitter) - (33)
             That's what it looked like - (drewk) - (1)
                 Re: That's what it looked like - (deSitter)
             Just use the client utilities - (scoenye) - (30)
                 How do I use it without running the SAMBA daemons? - (drewk) - (29)
                     Short and quick answer... AND the other one.... - (folkert) - (28)
                         Makes sense __________________ but wait! - (drewk) - (26)
                             Makes sense also... - (folkert) - (25)
                                 Not what I'm trying to do - (drewk) - (24)
                                     Re: Not what I'm trying to do (argh!) - (deSitter) - (17)
                                         I'm not a sysadmin - (drewk) - (16)
                                             But but but - (deSitter)
                                             Investigate smbclient - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                                 Tried it - (drewk) - (13)
                                                     Re: Tried it - (deSitter) - (12)
                                                         They don't need to see me - (drewk) - (11)
                                                             Re: They don't need to see me - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                 Your looking at it backwards - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                     Re: Your looking at it backwards - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                         OK, I'll read it, thanks -NT - (drewk)
                                                                         Absolutely.... Absolutely.... - (folkert)
                                                             Thoughts... - (Simon_Jester) - (5)
                                                                 WINS In 1 Minute - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                                     NetBIOS /is/ routable. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                         Re: NetBIOS /is/ routable. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                             Er, no. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                 Re: Er, no. - (deSitter)
                                     Unless I'm missing something... try nmblookup - (scoenye) - (5)
                                         Hmmmm... Dern it "looked" right past this... - (folkert)
                                         Yup, that gets it - (drewk) - (3)
                                             You might try - (folkert) - (2)
                                                 I will - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Re: I will - (folkert)
                         Re: Short and quick answer... AND the other one.... - (deSitter)

Worst case, tell your boss it's a new kind of ultra-XML -- not quite invisible, but only very sophisticated and intelligent people can see it...
172 ms