IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Giving out prior salary?
How important is putting prior salary on an application? Large companies and The Gov usually ask for it on their applications. I don't like giving out such information. It is private to me.

But, if it is mandatory for whatever stupid reason, should I high-ball or low-ball WRT fudging? (I think OO-haters need to low-ball :-)
Companies are wanting to know if (a). you made more then than you will now - being underpaid; or (b). you made less then than you will now - being overpaid. If your previous salary was way above or way below what they were looking at for the position, it can be a negative.

If you were being paid more, then they will think you will be unhappy with a lower salary and are unlikely to hang about. If you were being paid less, they will think that you might not be worth the extra money - since the previous market rate was lower.

Of course, if you don't tell them what you were making before, there will be a certain level of distrust embedded in their minds.
New I never do
Not on the app. Maybe late in the interview process when I've got them hooked. But generally not there either. The reason I usually give is:

The work you want me to do is very different than the work I am doing now (or just finished) so any comparison would be meaningless.

Once I applied for a gig with Martin Marietta and the hiring manager thought I was asking for a lot (Hey, quality isn't cheap) but he was willing to pay it if I could show I made within 10% of that number last year. I gave him my reason and he said he still needed confirmation as a policy so I whipped out my paystub, backing up my claim.

So now he's eager to hire me as a senior person and pitching the great work environment - so I told him I wouldn't work for someone who insisted on invading my privacy that way and maybe his company ought to rethink their policies as it was costing them their best candidates. Adios!

Its none of their business. You cost what you cost.
New Bravo.
Lots of niggling personal invasions would be nipped cold if only a few.. had balls.

Have some stories too, but irrelevant..

Kudos!
New Excellent. :-)
Another way to get around it (usually true): "My previous salary is company confidential information per their employee manual. I can't tell you."
Regards,

-scott anderson
New My previous employer's take
What my former employer, an extremely larger maufacturer of PCs and servers headquartered in Round Rock, TX, has instituted is a 1-888 number for your potential future employer to call to inquire about your work history. After they enter your SSN, they are given the option, AT THE LOW PRICE OF $9.95, to hear a recorded voice confirm that you were once an employee of theirs, and to give out the start and end dates of your employ. (It's $1 dollar cheaper if they access it through some website.) OR, they can pay much more (something like $19 or $25) to access your SALARY HISTORY...but they can only do that after you set up an "Account" in the system and give your potential future employer the password.

Now, how many companies are going to PAY to find out you actually worked somewhere previously?
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
New Are you saying this is the *only* way
they will simply confirm employment?

ACLU next, would be my first query.

A.

I'd also think that the act would eventually bite them on the ass, as they become the butt of rest of industry.. of course for those lacking a shame gene: this might not matter much.
New We lost a candidate that way
While working at a law firm, one of the IT managers was told what he could offer the candidates he was interviewing. He found one he liked, made the offer, the guy accepted.

Then HR got the paperwork.

"We can't offer him that much." "We already did." "It's more than 10% above his prior salary." "? ..." "We have to rescind the offer."

He didn't stick around.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New never on an application usually tbd will suffice
In the initiall interview I usually ask a very general ballpark of what they are willing to pay a good company will usually give you a range, right then you either say I am very interested or I am looking for at least name your figure. That way no time is wasted.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
     Giving out prior salary? - (tablizer) - (8)
         Depends what you want to make now... - (ChrisR)
         I never do - (tuberculosis) - (5)
             Bravo. - (Ashton)
             Excellent. :-) - (admin) - (2)
                 My previous employer's take - (bconnors) - (1)
                     Are you saying this is the *only* way - (Ashton)
             We lost a candidate that way - (drewk)
         never on an application usually tbd will suffice - (boxley)

But don't get all fretty-pants on us.
82 ms