IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Making anti-matter or at least anti-hydrogen.
First thing to do is - find out if antimatter falls up in the gravity field of matter. This very basic yes or no fact is still unknown because the experiment is impossible to carry out on the very fast-moving, short-lived antiparticles that get created in colliders.
-drl
New Good one! (I trust it has occurred to the troops)
New Yes
Plans are also underway from another direction, but I forget the details. Everyone knows it's a crucial experiment. If antimatter falls up it will have a stunning impact on not only gravity, which must then account for antimatter as a separate source, not to mention the failure of the strict "equivalence principle" (equality of inertial and gravitational mass) unless one also allows negative mass. A naive interpretation of the Dirac eqn leads you to do just that, but this was not comprehensible and so a vast machinery developed to deal with the multitude of fleeting particle pairs that the rejection of negative energy needed.

I believe it will fall up. Do I have proof? We'll see.
-drl
New Yes
BTW "fall up" really means "falls at a different rate". There would be an extra vectorial force, as for example coming from a vector-tensor theory. You need a vector interaction to get repulsion of opposites.
-drl
New Nature article.
[link|http://www.nature.com/nsu/020916/020916-7.html|Here].

In a normal hydrogen atom, an electron orbits a nucleus composed of a single proton. The electron has a negative electrical charge, the proton is positive. An antihydrogen atom is the opposite: a positively charged positron orbits a negative antiproton.

According to the Standard Model, the two types of atom are equivalent, like mirror images. They are also incompatible: when matter meets antimatter, they annihilate each other in a burst of energy.

The equivalence of hydrogen and antihydrogen rests on an assumption called CPT invariance. This states that if one were to take any piece of matter and simultaneously reverse all the charges of its elementary particles, the direction of time's flow, and another property of particles called parity, the substance would obey exactly the same laws of physics.

Just as, if one reversed the threads of all the nuts and bolts in a steel bridge, the bridge would hold together just as well, but if one switched only some of the threads, the parts would no longer fit together.

If CPT invariance holds, antihydrogen will behave just like hydrogen. In particular, it will absorb and emit light at identical frequencies. If this spectrum is different, the theory of CPT invariance will crumble.

CP invariance was found to be violated in neutral k-meson decay. Cronin and Fitch won a Nobel prize for this work.

If antihydrogen does have quirks, it will be immensely exciting. The differences might help to explain why there is more matter than antimatter in the Universe, even though the Big Bang should, in theory, have produced equal amounts of both.

And if antihydrogen responds differently to gravity, it will raise questions about the theory of relativity. It might even point to the long-sought unification of relativity and quantum theory. All of which makes antihydrogen worth looking for.

Elusive stuff

CERN's ATHENA scientists bombard atoms with protons from a particle accelerator to make antiprotons which they catch in a storage ring called the Antiproton Decelerator. This feeds slow-moving antiprotons into a magnetic trap, immobilizing them. Another trap accumulates positrons, which some radioactive materials emit.

The researchers combine these ingredients in a magnetic mixing trap. When some pair up to form antihydrogen, the electrically neutral anti-atoms drift out of the trap, hit the walls, annihilate and produce particles called pions. Pions signal the death of an anti-atom.

Judging from the number of pions, the ATHENA team calculates that their trap holds at least 50,000 anti-atoms, all cooled to within 15 degrees of absolute zero.

Emphasis added.

I personally don't expect antimatter to act differently WRT gravity (as, AFAIK, its constituents don't). But it'll be an interesting experiment.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Why couldnt you have negative mass?
Mass is measured in the medium is it not? If I can count to -10 then I should be able to weigh to -10. If there is a negative and a positive electrical/magnetic field there darn sure out to be a neg/pos gravitational field which would bind a lot of physics.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

qui mori didicit servire dedidicit
New Re: Why couldnt you have negative mass?
Positivity of energy is, you might say, the most cherished idea in physics, so people are reluctant to give it up. You'd have to redo everything.

The idea of negative mass in itself is not very interesting, but the idea that mass has phase, like light, is. So "negative" means having a phase of 180 while "positive" means 0. Now however there are in-between states with any phase. Matter is then one thing instead of two. In the everyday realm, nearby matter all has the same phase. In extreme conditions the phase differences can become manifest.
-drl
New ..also..
In ordinary gravity, everything attracts everything else because the basic field is a (second rank symmetric) tensor. In electromagnetism, the basic field is a vector, and that is why polar charges are possible. To have gravity with polarity, one needs a theory that has both a vector and a tensor field. Hermann Weyl worked out such a theory just after Einstein announced his theory of gravity, but it doesn't work out in a 4-d spacetime with separate sources. The idea however is so perfect that it has to be right in some context.
-drl
New Why couldnt you have negative mass? Ahhhh...
We already have that....

Me... I am about as Negative a MASS of blubber can get... ;)

Really now... you'd expect more from me... but not this time!!!!

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
     Making anti-matter or at least anti-hydrogen. - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
         Re: Making anti-matter or at least anti-hydrogen. - (deSitter) - (8)
             Good one! (I trust it has occurred to the troops) -NT - (Ashton) - (7)
                 Yes - (deSitter) - (6)
                     Yes - (deSitter) - (1)
                         Nature article. - (Another Scott)
                     Why couldnt you have negative mass? - (boxley) - (3)
                         Re: Why couldnt you have negative mass? - (deSitter) - (1)
                             ..also.. - (deSitter)
                         Why couldnt you have negative mass? Ahhhh... - (folkert)

I hope you are enjoy it.
96 ms