IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NS 6.1 for OS X (Beta)
As leery as I am of using NS 6.x, much less a beta, I actually gave 6.1 Beta a try. (Not sure why exacty, thinking back on it).

I was *very* pleasantly surprised!

Not only is it fast and plays Quicktimes and Flash but I can also access my online banking and my Cisco Net Academy material. (Mozilla 0.9.3 couldn't do any of this and OmniWeb can't do the last two.)

I now have a great reason to toss that IE icon out of my dock for good.

(Found a nice Aqua-based theme for it as well and it looks great!)

New Re: NS 6.1 for OS X (Beta)
I've been using the beta for about a month and the "gold version for about a week" in classic mode. I still have noticed loading time seems to be eternal... Once up and running, I have no complaints.

Netscape 4.78 for Windoze and Mac OS 9.1 is another story entirely. If you ever use Composer for quick html docs, you may be watching NS bomb on you frequently. It's not catastrophic... Doesn't mess with your system, doesn't "leak" memory and you simply have to double click NS again... But the problem is so reproduceable as to be an obvious "undocumented feature" that should have been noticed if any testing at all was performed.

But, I digress... Your question was about the beta and if you can dump IE... absolutely. I've never used IE on my Mac (okay, a few months for testing) and don't plan on it. Out of principle...
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
New 6.2 is out now...
and I've been using it for a week. No problems whatsoever. Still loads slow but is fine after load. This version supports LDAP... Cheap comparisons done by me in OS X.1, NS 6.2 is stable but slow to start up. It has acceptable speed once running and all the plugin goodies. IE 5.1 works well, loads faster than NS and performs about the same while loaded. Opera X beta rocks. Loads quickly, runs noticeably faster, missing some plugin goodies, no LDAP support. (No mail client in beta I am testing as a matter of fact.)

I'll keep you posted as I learn more.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, take a bow for the new revolution, smile and grin at the change all around, pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday..."

P. Townshend

"Nietzsche has an S in it"
Celina Jones
New Based on Moz 0.94, apparently
I was having problems with the 6.1 beta for X (my bookmarks file mysteriously ballooned from 52K to 15M, with corresponding performance issues) and tried 0.95.

Very stable, but seemed slower than NS 6.1. However, I *really* liked the tabbed window feature.

When 6.2 came out I switched back. Now I'm missing the tabbed windows but everything else is hunky-dory.

Tom Sinclair
Speaker-to-Suits
     NS 6.1 for OS X (Beta) - (tjsinclair) - (3)
         Re: NS 6.1 for OS X (Beta) - (screamer)
         6.2 is out now... - (screamer) - (1)
             Based on Moz 0.94, apparently - (tjsinclair)

Politics.
76 ms