IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Read your spam
How often does the forged from line pretend to be from someone you would be inclined to trust.

If the forged from is not a major selling point, then that forgery isn't actionable by the FTC description of what they look for. It isn't material to the ad, and so that untruth matters no more than the lie in an ad which shows an SUV of similar size to a mountain.

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New Oh, I forgot
It isn't material to the ad, and so that untruth matters no more than the lie in an ad which shows an SUV of similar size to a mountain.
"Truth in advertising" only applies to things that obviously aren't supposed to be taken literally. Like the Harrier that Pepsi offered to give away in the Pepsi Points debacle a couple of years ago. So now, "Oh come one, you didn't think I really meant it, did you?" is a legitimate defense.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
     Washington State anti-spam law upheld - (ben_tilly) - (8)
         fight SPAM with the FTC? - (SpiceWare) - (7)
             I don't think that that works :-( - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                 I disagree - (drewk) - (4)
                     You are shifting the situation - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                         Not really - (drewk) - (2)
                             Read your spam - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Oh, I forgot - (drewk)
                 From somebody in Washington... - (inthane-chan)

Jane! Jane, get me off this crazy thing!
34 ms