IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How doable is this? (Java/JDBC connectivity)
Let's say I have a Java-based app that uses a database to store it's data. Rather than mandating a specific database, and including that database software with the app, I instead include an "Administration mode" that allows the app to connect to any database via JDBC connectivity, then set up the entire database via that connectivity, then populate it with data, etc.

Basically, I'm asking how functional JDBC is at this point, before wading into it and trying to figure it out.
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New First you will need assumptions
What kind of DB where. If the target box has a valid tsnames.ora in the environment pointing to a db elsewhere and the enduser really wants it in access locally how would you make the determination? You would have to have an input field with type of db and location and an end user smart enough to populate it correctly.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/Resume.html|skill set]
[link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/index.html|boxley's home page]
qui mori didicit servire dedidicit
New What I'm thinking...
...is provide basic cross-platform DB functionality through something simple included in the package, but if somebody wants to serve a heck of a lot more records, AND they've got the skill, then they can offload it to their own DB server.
End of world rescheduled for day after tomorrow. Something should probably be done. Please advise.
New Re: How doable is this? (Java/JDBC connectivity)
The standard technical answer:

It depends.

Having said that, if we're talking standard SQL (so that the SQL is portable across all of the db's), then it's basically possible. If you start getting into db-specific stuff (which is *really* hard NOT to do), you'll have problems.

As for handling the connection to different db's....that's fairly straightforward, assuming this "admin console" of yours allows that type of thing. The problem is how that works....since you have to know db-specific things to connect to the db.

JDBC provides meta-data about the queries, so when you enter your sql, you can know the column types, etc. However, beware. Not all db's handle it the same, or are all drivers created equal.

In theory, it's possible. In practice, you'll probably run into many gotcha's.

Dan
New I would abstract it one more layer
IOW, make a DBInterface superclass with an inheriting JDBC. It'll cover yer butt when a client wants a hard-coded Oracle connector for "performance reasons". I know, that's what JDBC is supposedly for, but...think of it as insurance for when JDBC itself changes.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
     How doable is this? (Java/JDBC connectivity) - (inthane-chan) - (4)
         First you will need assumptions - (boxley) - (1)
             What I'm thinking... - (inthane-chan)
         Re: How doable is this? (Java/JDBC connectivity) - (dshellman)
         I would abstract it one more layer - (tseliot)

Yes, m'lord.
50 ms