IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New BEA to buy Borland?
From [link|http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/09/09/020909opcringely.xml|InfoWorld]:
BEA officials are considering a hostile takeover of tools vendor Borland, one spy reports. The app server vendor is looking to bolster its tool box, despite the fact that it had essentially abandoned WebGain -- the tools conglomeration of which BEA owned a significant chunk -- due to a lack of confidence in WebGain's management team.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New What is it about Borland?
They make the best damn tools out there, and people (including their own "management") can't keep from trying to fuck them up. Why doesn't everyone just leave them to their own devices, and revel in their mastery of a subject that no one else cares to get right?

(Jealousy?)
jb4
"About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. "
-- Edsger W.Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)
(I wish more managers knew that...)
New Re: What is it about Borland?
Yes, ain't it amazin'? I got caught in a Borland trap once with Paradox, won't happen again.
-drl
New Paradox? As opposed to what...Access?
What kind of a choice is that?
jb4
"About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. "
-- Edsger W.Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)
(I wish more managers knew that...)
New Re: Paradox? As opposed to what...Access?
Access at the time was light years behind Paradox. Basically MS turned Access (and VB)into what Paradox already was, only without ObjectPAL behind it. But it killed Paradox as a desktop/workgroup database.

-drl
New Access is even farther behind Paradox
I still do quite a bit of Paradox programming. A new client wants an app that I have written in Paradox. But they want it in Access. So I've started to learn Access. What a piece of crap. (For the record, Paradox 10 and Access XP) Takes much longer to find the correct commands, help is workless, and the reference books are almost useless. Granted, I've used Paradox since DOS version 2, was a development partner, but when I have to hunt trying to save a record (Refresh!? - that should mean refresh the screen, not write a record) or insert a blank record on the screen (DoCmd runCommand cmdRecordGoToNew) and it is not shown in any help... I'd almost prefer to write in COBOL!

But, since I'm a "professional", I'll give the client what they want, in the language they want. And happily deposit their payments. I have told them that it would be cheaper to modify my existing Paradox program (only need to add a couple of fields) than to develop an entirely new application in Access.

C'est la vie!
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@attbi.com|Joe]
New Urrkkkk!
DoCmd runCommand cmdRecordGoToNew
Talk about taking a good idea to a wildly inappropriate extreme.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New No confidence in WebGain?
WebGain owns TopLink - to date one of the only two OO-RDBMS mappers for Java that works (Apple owns the other one).

Of course, BEA would rather reinvent the technology than use it as witnessed by their tech evangelist at the last JavaOne I went to talking about J2EE v2 and how it was going to be so much more sophisticated in db access - basically talking about how they're inventing all this stuff that TopLink has been providing for the past 7 years.

Of course, Borland has been pretty rudderless since MS kicked them out of the devtools market.

Maybe they deserve each other.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:41:28 AM EDT
     BEA to buy Borland? - (drewk) - (7)
         What is it about Borland? - (jb4) - (5)
             Re: What is it about Borland? - (deSitter) - (4)
                 Paradox? As opposed to what...Access? - (jb4) - (3)
                     Re: Paradox? As opposed to what...Access? - (deSitter) - (2)
                         Access is even farther behind Paradox - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                             Urrkkkk! - (drewk)
         No confidence in WebGain? - (tuberculosis)

A.A.P.B. certified.
45 ms